The hardest game you've ever played?

+
The hardest game you've ever played?

Which do you think it is the most difficult game you've ever played?

Mine is Battletoads. Because that game cheats. All. The. Time.

Played lot of "hard" game, but nothing as broken as

Ecco The Dolphin 1
Splatterhouse 2
Mortal Kombat 2

They're hard for the sakes of being hard.

Blood 2: The Chosen on any difficulty other than Easy.

Mortal Kombat 3 (Cant even get past the first opponent.)

Dark Souls 1 and 2 (But in a good way.)

Easily the first Prince of Persia (but then I was 7 so it might bias my judgement).

Final fantasy 1. No story, no cleverness,just pure grind and drudgery.

Any of the chessmasters are freaking hard.

Last edited:
While it's not even remotely an RPG (tactical combat game) Flashpoint: Red Storm is DAMN hard to win at.

There were certain moments in Operation Flashpoint 1 which were fairly hard.
There was this mission where your squad was all dead and all you had was an M-16 vs. Soviet armor and infantry. Your job was to go to a point 2 or 3 km away and you only had 1 save.

I guess Hearts of Iron would qualify as hard, albeit I don`t think it is quite as hard as some people make it out to be.
I`ve tried to get my group of friends to play, but most of them want to play either SWAT 4 or (ugh) super smash bros.
A buddy and I even made a conspiracy to get other people to play, but we decided it would actually take a whole LAN session to teach. We had to jettison this plan.

Some of the adventure games in the 90s were super hard.Some of the puzzles were just extremely obscure and if you took a wrong decision mid-game, the game would still allow you to progress even though you were missing a crucial element. And so you would die again and again, only to find out that you had to restore a saved game and absolutly have this crucial element.

Plus extremely obscure puzzles. Clock puzzle from Gabriel knight, anyone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN0MtIp-Ccg

Last edited:
I guess Hearts of Iron would qualify as hard, albeit I don`t think it is quite as hard as some people make it out to be.
I`ve tried to get my group of friends to play, but most of them want to play either SWAT 4 or (ugh) super smash bros.
A buddy and I even made a conspiracy to get other people to play, but we decided it would actually take a whole LAN session to teach. We had to jettison this plan.

Yeah, been keeping an eye on Hearts of Iron IV myself. I don't really consider the game hard, it is rather fun tho.

Yeah, once you execute a successful strategy, you know that it will pretty much work every time in single player. The AI can be pretty darn dumb.

Have you tried multiplayer? Most stressful game I've played in MP, bar none.

Given my schedule, or I should say total lack of anything even remotely resembling a regular schedule, I don't do much multi-player/PBEM because while I may be able to do turns a couple times a week for a while something will come up and it'll be two months between turns. Not something most opponents appreciate.

OFP and ARMA games were pretty hard. The quest Poet lined out was one of my favorite missions in the original game -- there was some neat reactivity too in that if you managed to keep your team alive in the precurring events, the mission got postponed (and the same worked, iirc, for several other missions too).

Then there was Darkseed of which I don't really remember much more than the teethgrinding frustration. Although that was around 20 years ago, so don't really know how well I'd fair with it now.

Another was Cannon Fodder 2; as if the first one wasn't hard enough. (also around 20 years ago)

Hotline Miami has some pretty frustrating retry-retry-retry moments too here and there.

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth. Never have I encountered a game so immersive, and so scary. I couldn't get past one sequence, couldn't work it out. That sequence takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes, but I never survived. And I could only attempt it maybe twice without having to quit the game and have a break and get my pulse rate back to normal!!

A amazing game, one I'm going to have to try again.

Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360, the combat was challenging enough but the awful camera made it a real bitch,

Dota 2 and Counter-Strike are up there as well.

Hotline Miami, there is one fucking place where I should pick golf stick and beat biker, before I pick golf stick, biker kills me, even if I pick stick he kills me, even if I pick and try to hit him he kills me, even when I hit him he falls down then kills me. This game is harder than Dark Souls. Yes I played dark souls, and I think It's fairer than Hotline Miami.

Last edited:
and I think It's fairer than Hotline Miami.

Well, I died waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less in DS. Way less.

HM you had to get in a weird kind of loose-but-tight mental mindset. And stay intensely in it, while not being too intense.

And then you'd die anyway.

Hotline Miami, there is one fucking place where I should pick golf stick and beat biker, before I pick golf stick, biker kills me, even if I pick stick I he kills me, even if I pick and try to hit him he kills me, even when I hit him he falls down then kills me. This game is harder than Dark Souls. Yes I played dark souls, and I think It's fairer than Hotline Miami.

You mean the helmet guy that throws knives? I think the only strategy I can give you is to approach him with a spiral movement... probably even change the direction between knife throws. I personally love that game's approach to difficulty and I think it helps make a point about the kind of horrible violence you commit in it: it gets so difficult, you die so many times but it never gets too frustrating because you are back in action right away. You stop caring about the horrible things you're doing because you want to pass through the levels... but then at the end you have to go to the exit and see all the corpses...

Top Bottom