The Official Witcher Wiki has moved

+
You can call it wiki, wikia, online encyclopedia, Barry or whatever you choose. I do not mind what is official and what is not. I want as many fans & customers to find information about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as possible. I know Marcin is working with great people and sites he has worked with in the past, I am working with wikia, who are also great.

I do not really care about any sort of past disputes between groups. I care about our Witcher Community. The more good websites that work with us to help promote The Witcher, the better. I am perfectly happy for their to be multiple fan sites for Wild Hunt. I am also perfectly fine with there being multiple wiki/wikia sites. I understand that the people who run those sites work hard to do good work, and we fully support them. If one is "Official wiki" and another is "Official wikia" and another is "Official Barry", as long as they are accurate, helpful and happy to work with us, I will work with anyone I can. :)

Anyone you can? I invite you gladly to the Cursed gamepedians ;)

I, for one, do care that wikia continues to capitalise on what is largely my work.

I do not mean to disparage your work in any way and I am sorry if I gave you that impression. Marcin is extremely supportive of the great work done on the wiki at Curse and I know there are a lot of fans who will visit there or continue to visit there to get Wild Hunt information. He is workign with you at Curse and I am working with wikia. Again, this doesn't make any site better or worse than another. The more excellent sites that will help fans, the better. :)

---------- Updated at 03:43 PM ----------

Anyone you can? I invite you gladly to the Cursed gamepedians ;)

Well, I know Marcin is already working with the folks at Curse, but I am happy to help as well if he needs me to. TBH, I am pretty bad at wikis and will need lots of hand holding as I accidentally rewrite databases, confuse facts, etc, but I'm there if I'm needed. :)

Besides disputes and etc. there is also an issue of fragmentation and limited resources. While having many encyclopedias is OK, in practice I doubt you'll be able make a good second Wikipedia for example all on your own. Simply because resources are limited. Or it will end up with one copying from another all the time, same as happens with forks in free software. At some point one has to consider the usefulness of the fork. In this particular case I don't see a point in two Witcher wikis. It does increase confusion, causes unnecessary duplication and overhead.

Last edited:
Besides disputes and etc. there is also an issue of fragmentation and limited resources. While having many encyclopedias is OK, in practice I doubt you'll be able make a good second Wikipedia for example all on your own. Simply because resources are limited. Or it will end up with one copying from another all the time, same as happens with forks in free software. At some point one has to consider the usefulness of the fork. In this particular case I don't see a point in two Witcher wikis. It does increase confusion, causes unnecessary duplication and overhead.

I'm of the same opinion. There is inevitably going to be a superior and an inferior one, and the possibility that one unknowing fan could happen to visit the latter and consider it the official one - when it is not - is only a pity. Especially in light of the way Wikia behaved towards the contributors.

I understand the will to follow the fans both here and there, but a CDPR endorsement now where it was clear CDPR was unhappy then only adds to the confusion, in my opinion. The best thing to do would be endorsing only one, the official Wiki, and shepherd every possible fan towards it.

@TheEvilChris
I understand CDPR point on this but I'm not feeling comfortable with it.

It's just that Wikia keeps making business on our totally volunteers, free works we did and we gave to the company (Wikia). Hours and hours of work just to be arbitrarly edited by a random Wikia staff applying Wikia rules without a single words to the admins (us). It's kinda a slap in the face.
Not to mention that no one is officially supporting or editing on the italian Witcher Wiki on Wikia (speaking for my part) and I have no power on vandalism, wrong information, mistakes on the lore and such, since Wikia staff banned me. So you can consider official, un-official Berry as you want, but the fact is that the community over there has been abandoned by all the most important and supportive contributors they had... and that CDP may have, because Wikia thought it was better to kick us out.
We're all on Curse now, and Curse has much less visibility than Wikia, no matter how official or unofficial it is, or more accurated than Wikia.

Just to speak up my mind a little :) Anyway, it's your business guys, I'll keep doing my best to work with the community as I always did.

@TheEvilChris @Marcin Momot @theta77
From the group:
DiamondDove said:
Marcin just joined our group. Maybe he can say some words about "what it does mean to be an 'cdpr supported wiki'", because till now I haven't seen any actions in this direction for the gamepedians (except of the former link on the news page, which is actually gone).

And I'd like CDPR to know, that 90% of the contributions done in the English and in the German Witcher wikiA came from persons, who moved to gamepedia (or stopped editing at all). Also the French, Italian and Greek part is strong at the new place. In the Polish and the Russian or another wikiA it maybe another. But let me show you some numbers:
I compared some statistics a few days ago:
- at witcher.gamepedia there are about 300 more articles, i.e. content pages, than on witcher.wikiA; I don't talk about "sites", because this would contain also forum talks - the most activity on witcher.wikiA in the last few months. So the community is more active on wikiA, no doubt.
- witcher.wikiA has 31 active contributors in the last 30 days - we: only 8. But among those "active users" on wikiA is no true contributor in nearly 2 years (when i read the tables in the right way), and the most edits by far have been done before the switch, and very likely all by "escaped" contributors (game_widow, ausir, aeon, ... petra_silie).
witcher.wikiA has no admins, no bureaukrats, no moderators any more - we have 13 admins and 4 bureaucrats! All hard working for making the new place the better witcherly wiki.
- Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I've seen most of the actual contributions are done by wikia staff themselves. They just prepare for editing, but the current users only read, write in the forums and go away. But those users perform still enough clicks for wikia for being worth hold this wikia alive.

That's why it seems to me that the witcherly wikiAs have been able to survive the last two year only by the intervention of wikia staff. I watched it myself on the Polish wiki (maybe Smiki can confirm that): single people suddenly rush into the wiki, make very useful, mostly structural changes (rather no new content!), and leave the wiki as fast as they where coming in - this looks for me like the internship of potential wikia staff.

I'm neither in the position to demand something from CDPR nor I even wish to. We dealt in good faith bringing the wiki to a new, less restricted place. All wikis have their right to exist and help to promote The Witcher 3. This is the main fact and more important than any personal sensitivity, that's for sure!
But say "thank you" for the content to the wikians is rather a thank to the users, not to the contributors, as I'm interpreting the message it was originally intended.
So my question is, why doesn't CDPR at the very least treat the new wikis at gamepedia equally to wikia? Is to be the "official wiki" only a tile, simply two words, nothing more?

Hey guys,

Both Wiki and the Wikia have our full support. Wiki at Curse remains our Official Wiki and nothing changes here. Wikia became the official Wikia page which doesn't make it any more official than the one at Curse. Actually, it's the opposite. The one located at Curse is the main official Wiki. I hope this won't cause any further confusion.

Hey guys,

Both Wiki and the Wikia have our full support. Wiki at Curse remains our Official Wiki and nothing changes here. Wikia became the official Wikia page which doesn't make it any more official than the one at Curse. Actually, it's the opposite. The one located at Curse is the main official Wiki. I hope this won't cause any further confusion.

Dunno if you have any power in this, but I'd suggest you to find some more constant, serious and continuative contributors for the TW Wikia too, as leaving as it is with no moderation aside Wikia beaurocrats is a real mess. And I frankly don't know how approximative or even vandalized Berry-encyclopedia can be of any use to CDPR and to the game. To name just one thing, news are constantly updated on Curse only.

/2cents 8)

Dunno if you have any power in this, but I'd suggest you to find some more constant, serious and continuative contributors for the TW Wikia too, as leaving as it is with no moderation aside Wikia beaurocrats is a real mess. And I frankly don't know how approximative or even vandalized Berry-encyclopedia can be of any use to CDPR and to the game. To name just one thing, news are constantly updated on Curse only.

/2cents 8)
This is the only reason, why I'm still an admin of hexer.wikia.com - to protect the work of 6 years from vandalism... But on witcher.wikia.com all valuable admins have been banned - so who wants to be voluntarily next? :/

I've been admin since march 2014, so I'm rather new, but I started making (few) edits when you guys were all at Wikia, I'm happy to contribute and to be admin at italian Curse Wiki, I feel very comfortable here.

So it's kinda sad to see this.

CDPR teams with Wikia for TW3

http://www.gameskinny.com/020u0/wik...nce-collaboration-for-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt

Yes, this will be contentious, yes it needs to be a thread. I used the fan wiki sparingly but found it incredibly concise and well organized. It has since moved to Cursed, and CDPR moved on as well. Part of my reason for starting this is I need an education here on the fan website, how this affects them, and why CDPR may have reason to partner with entirely new people. I'm simply not motivated to go to a site they've recently partnered with professionally in place of a fan base who has been doing this for years.

This whole wordplay with wikia / wiki doesn't really look nice at all to me. Since CDPR have some partnership with Wikia now, it's not just them endorsing it, it's some financial deal.

What I worry about is that community will be split.

Last edited:
This whole wordplay with wikia / wiki doesn't really look nice at all to me. Since CDPR have some partnership with Wikia now, it's not just them endorsing it, it's some financial deal.

What I worry about is that community will be split.

To be sure, no one at Wiki was getting ad revenue or anything were they? I mean, not the contributors. I'm really not familiar on how these fansites work, but Game Widow seemed to suggest they were getting screwed over. I assume this has to do with endorsement only, and therefore site traffic? At any rate, if the new site has silly regulations ( *cough* San Fran *cough*) and not a fraction of the experience doing this, seems like a no brainer to me.

Last edited:
Bookmark the Curse site: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_Wiki. Use it often.

Tough to find, though. If you google witcher 3 wiki or even curse gaming witcher 3, you get the wikia site. Kind of sucks.

Easier if you use it with !tww DuckDuckGo search bang which I added a while ago :) But yes, top regular searches come from Wikia, not from Gamepedia.

---------- Updated at 03:49 AM ----------

To be sure, no one at Wiki was getting ad revenue or anything were they? I mean, not the contributors. I'm really not familiar on how these fansites work, but Game Widow seemed to suggest they were getting screwed over. I assume this has to do with endorsement only, and therefore site traffic? At any rate, if the new site has silly regulations ( *cough* San Fran *cough*) and not a fraction of the experience doing this, seems like a no brainer to me.

I'm not sure if CDPR had any partnership with Curse, or the later simply gets some profit from ads. But Wikia isn't really a new site. Historically Witcher wiki was there. Then they had some administrative fallout, and core contributors moved to Gamepedia. Wikia then started using regular paid staff to keep them in sync as far as I understand (since contributors have moved). But now it looks like CDPR are pouring some resources in Wikia. I really have no clue what is going on there.

---------- Updated at 03:54 AM ----------

For those unfamiliar with DDG search bangs, an example:

https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=Djenge Frett !tww

Real power of search bangs comes from setting DDG in the browser search bar and doing it straight from there.

Last edited:
Bookmark the Curse site: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Witcher_Wiki. Use it often.

Tough to find, though. If you google witcher 3 wiki or even curse gaming witcher 3, you get the wikia site. Kind of sucks.

It's the same with any wiki that uses curse. The World of Warcraft wiki switched to curse as well but the wikipedia one still shows up in search rankings.

Frankly I think both wikis are a bloody mess, many articles on crucial characters are bare bones.

Top Bottom