The General Videogame Thread

+
So after much deliberation and with a heavy heart, I've decided to join the peasants. I'm getting a PS3.
Better late than never. A great console with some fantastic exclusives.

I recommend getting this:

Red Dead Redemption... excellent game indeed.

Didn´t own a PS3, but maybe you could also look into getting The Last of Us, and the Uncharted series. Supposedly some of the best exclusives for the console.

And then get the CoD:MW games, if you want a more western take on the story.

:')

You just can't stop the "trolling" are you? :p

----

Finally, The Witcher: Battle Arena is now can be played on my Xperia Z, so I tried out. I never was a moba player, in fact I was kind of hater. I never liked them, I never understood the turn-up behind this. Now, I am thjinking a bit different. TWBA is the moba for me, I would like to see it on PC.

Definitely not like that. With effort put into discovering new approaches to User Interface design... maybe. As it is, those interfaces do not look usable. I sometimes feel my time-critical UI elements (health, resources, maybe minimap) are too far away from the center/action in 16:9 and this looks exponentially worse. If it's not far enough in my peripheral vision to decipher but needs a dedicated glance, it's bad.

Honestly. 21:9 needs to become the standard.

We've spent too much time making 16:9 standard and there's enough problems in performance with that as is. Video games are struggling right now with graphics, trying to give us amazing FPS, resolution and technical graphics all in one. Something's gotta give.

Definitely not like that. With effort put into discovering new approaches to User Interface design... maybe. I sometimes feel my time-critical UI elements (health, resources, maybe minimap) are too far away from the center/action in 16:9 and this looks exponentially worse. If it's not far enough in my peripheral vision to decipher but needs a dedicated glance, it's bad.
Yup. But like you said, that's not really the issue with the 21:9 resolution but how the HUD elements are placed on screen. With programs like flawless widescreen you can actually tweak the HUD placement settings in games and place them in the same position as in 16:9 (or even closer) yet still have the added horizontal fov/resolution. Also in games that don't support tweaking the HUD and you can't bear the positioning in 21:9 you can always play them in 16:9 @ 2560x1440 by forcing GPU scaling from the drivers so you still end up with approximately 26"-27" 2560x1440 image with black bars on the sides.

But in terms of immersion/atmosphere no single monitor setup beats this baby. :)

We've spent too much time making 16:9 standard and there's enough problems in performance with that as is. Video games are struggling right now with graphics, trying to give us amazing FPS, resolution and technical graphics all in one. Something's gotta give.
I totally understand aaden's perspective but I fail to see how 21:9 (3440x1440@ 4.95mp/2560x1080 @ 2.76mp) relate to this since both of those resolutions are still fairly easy to drive. Especially the latter which isn't much harder to drive than 1920x1200. On my rather beefy PC (yet it's no NASA super computer) Crysis 3 still manages to run maxed out with SMAA at 3440x1440 @ 60fps vsynced with small (3-5fps) frame rate dips at times. And like I said, you can still force scaling from the drivers and play the games at 2560x1440 if 3440x1440 is too much, and play them later in 21:9 once the hardware catches up.

Actually the problem I see is that people are going with 4K and 5K monitors right now and expecting games to run at massive 8.3mp and 14.7mp resolutions.

Last edited:
Wow, has hell frozen over? This is the last thing I thought I'd see you write after reading your comments on consoles over the previous years lol. I had to check to make sure it wasn't April first today.

Yeah, bit of a hypocrite I suppose. I'm literally doing it for a handful of games, which seems silly. And for that Bluray player. :p

So Warren Spector wants to revive Ultima. Not sure that's a great idea.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ultima-underworld-spiritual-successor-in-the-works/1100-6424764/

@slimgrin No shame. I was, still am, seriously considering PS for its exclusives. Mainly RDR, but not only. TLoU, Uncharted, Bloodborne, they're all very attractive.

A quick question about the first Just Cause - what do the Liberation missions give me? Just opening up more side missions? Because if that's it, I won't go out of my way to free settlements. I thought I might get new vehicles or some reinforcements in missions, but so far it seems they're only opening more filler content.

Honestly. 21:9 needs to become the standard.

It's just better. Period.

Do you get a feeling that edges on left and right are too distorted? I'd say to feel such picture naturally the screen has to be curved, not flat. It's a classic problem with proportions perception in the large image.

Such resolution makes more sense in a helmet / virtual reality goggles.

Last edited:
Do you get a feeling that edges on left and right are too distorted? I'd say to feel such picture naturally the screen has to be curved, not flat. It's a classic problem with proportions perception in the large image.

I believe the monitor he is using is indeed curved.

I'm still waiting for some of their games to be released on GOG. They were sold in DRM-free Humble Bundles in the past, but something prevents them from appearing on GOG.

I believe the monitor he is using is indeed curved.
Yup. It's curved. Dell U3415W.

Last edited:
I just bought State of Decay, it feels good so far, but I only played 25 minutes so far, and I won't have time until Thursday sadly. Nowdays I got bored too fast with most of the games, but I feel like that this game will helps to survive the rest of the weeks until the GTA 5 arrives to PC which will helps to survive until the W3 is arrives. This is my current plan.

About Sleeping Dogs. It is a pretty decent game, I do like it, but it has some problems, which I don't like. I generally got bored thoose sandbox games which are does not have country side and focusing on the city environment. This is not the games fault obviously rather than my taste. I might be complete it, but I don't know when.

Just a sidenote:
I still hoping that the RDR eventually make its way to PC even there is not so much hope for that. Maybe with a remastered version...

Augmented Hair in Deus Ex Universe projects: TressFX 3.0 (Presented by AMD) at GDC

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/...universe-projects-tressfx-30-presented-by-amd

"In this talk, engineers from Eidos and AMD detail the TressFX 3.0 solution used in Dawn Engine which will be the cornerstone to the development of the Deus Ex Universe projects at the studio. We show how Eidos graphics engineers built upon TressFX to break new grounds and deliver a realistic and scalable hair solution in the Dawn Engine for PC and consoles. With a focus on game requirements such as artistic control and animation support this talk will cover the practical considerations of a full TressFX pipeline, from authoring to rendering. In addition, for simulation, we address topics such as collisions, shape preservation, stretching, and wind. For rendering, we discuss how to blend strands with traditional hair meshes, antialiasing solutions, and translucency sorting techniques. We will also cover the latest TressFX 3.0 advancements from AMD, including skinning and fur support, an open source Maya plugin, and new rendering options for optimum scalability.

Takeaway
Attendees will learn what quality and performance improvements and trade-offs were made in the Dawn engine TressFX implementation that will be used in the studio's upcoming titles. They will also see what features a full TressFX pipeline needs to support for AAA game development. And they will learn the latest advancements found in TressFX 3.0."

Top Bottom