(SPOILERS) Will our choices from previous Witcher games really matter in Witcher 3 ?

+
Previous Choices ;)
[video=youtube;rLfZIzZK-dA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLfZIzZK-dA[/video]

Last edited:
I'm sure there is white color choises for default story.

But what is that "default story"? I can't see W3 ignoring the past games, especially W2. It could only be that devs making the choices for you. What if they choose something that you won't like; like killing a certain character or saving one, you wouldn't? Or following Iorveth or Roche for that matter. I mean these are not black and white choices that could easily be made for overall player; and these are not minor things: I don't think their consequences will be minor in W3(unlike dragon age keep choices' consequences in DAI), I think they will at least be moderately important. There is default story for DAI but almost no one who played the previous games liked those preset choices therefore using keep became essential for them, despite the fact that consequences were minor.

------

Even If I were new to Witcher games and knew that there was these choices made for me, I'd rather choose it myself. Tho then it has to have good context, which is done in a way that I'd feel I'm just playing the game and knowingly deciding, rather than rapidly making some decisions I don't know shit about to get over with it which would feel not so immersive :/

Last edited:
That default story, what CDPR did decide for W3. That will my first playtrough. I just wonder what they are followed from previous games. I'm sure default is the right way to start, CDPR knows better how the story begins. The save file from w2 is only carry your own story, but I want see the orginal one first.

---------- Updated at 11:35 AM ----------

Its like, if I saved the elven woman in W2, that will maybe appear in W3 with that save data. But I wonder whats the random choises is in W3 without savedata.

Its like, if I saved the elven woman in W2, that will maybe appear in W3 with that save data. But I wonder whats the random choises is in W3 without savedata.
You simply won't hear about Elven woman in "default" run. Simply because basically you haven't "played" W2 to make the choice whether she lives/dies. Basically that means you don't know about her and she's not an important character which also means she will probably won't be mentioned/seen in your "default" playtrough. And the opposite for those who made choices in W2.

But what is that "default story"? I can't see W3 ignoring the past games, especially W2. It could only be that devs making the choices for you. What if they choose something that you won't like; like killing a certain character or saving one, you wouldn't? Or following Iorveth or Roche for that matter. I mean these are not black and white choices that could easily be made for overall player; and these are not minor things: I don't think their consequences will be minor in W3(unlike dragon age keep choices' consequences in DAI), I think they will at least be moderately important. There is default story for DAI but almost no one who played the previous games liked those preset choices therefore using keep became essential for them, despite the fact that consequences were minor.

------

Even If I were new to Witcher games and knew that there was these choices made for me, I'd rather choose it myself. Tho then it has to have good context, which is done in a way that I'd feel I'm just playing the game and knowingly deciding, rather than rapidly making some decisions I don't know shit about to get over with it which would feel not so immersive :/

Well, if you don't have save data, we know that Geralt will need to interrupt the bard to correct information. So, technically, CDPR has come up with a "Default" set of choices.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would not expect too much out of it. They've consistently referred to this as a "stand alone story", so I would not expect anything to be remotely important or meaningful beyond cameos and some altered banter, much like what happens with DA.

Yes, its not important or it wont change the story line. Savedata is just like easter egg, we get few dialogs from a NPC thats ask if Geralt remembers the person, or asking about saskia the dragon is she dead or not. Maybe a letter from old friends like shani maybe thats it. The last ofc its the equipment from W2 with some orens.

---------- Updated at 01:27 PM ----------

Well maybe the story will change who knows :)

---------- Updated at 01:29 PM ----------

36 differ ending o_O

Yes, its not important or it wont change the story line. Savedata is just like easter egg, we get few dialogs from a NPC thats ask if Geralt remembers the person, or asking about saskia the dragon is she dead or not. Maybe a letter from old friends like shani maybe thats it. The last ofc its the equipment from W2 with some orens.

---------- Updated at 01:27 PM ----------

Well maybe the story will change who knows :)

---------- Updated at 01:29 PM ----------

36 differ ending o_O

There are 3 endings and 36 world states. Witcher 2 had 16 world states.

I don't expect much from our imports, but I am hoping for a lot.

Imports in general seem like they are more smoke and mirrors than a good game design choice. Its a great design if you can honor it, but no dev can because game development is so expensive and risky, they can't invest a huge amount in a feature that only rewards previous players, they need to be able to sell the game to new customers too.

I'm sure default is the right way to start, CDPR knows better how the story begins. The save file from w2 is only carry your own story, but I want see the orginal one first.

There is no "right" way to start, there are different ways to start. Either you make the choices or CDPR makes for you(if they've done it) and I don't think they'd call their canon "the right way". And "white choices" doesn't work as you said, they are used for information mostly, not decisions.

Well, if you don't have save data, we know that Geralt will need to interrupt the bard to correct information. So, technically, CDPR has come up with a "Default" set of choices.

Now I thought on it; dismissing barber's past story related questions from the start(if we can) might get us default set of choices, right. Otherwise if we have to go through decisions, there wouldn't be a "default set of choices" <captain obvious

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would not expect too much out of it. They've consistently referred to this as a "stand alone story", so I would not expect anything to be remotely important or meaningful beyond cameos and some altered banter, much like what happens with DA

I mentioned earlier in the thread also; that most of the choices we made in earlier games(mostly W2) would most likely effect W3's secondary content(ongoing war, witch hunt, other might be recurring NPCs etc) , not so much on Geralt's personal story: 50 hours long main story would make the game stand on its own, a few changes in secondary content won't hurt standing alone with no friends game :D

Well I believe in CDPR to make our decisions matter, I'm not expecting huge consequences but also not as cheap as it was with DAI. And they also confirmed this to some extent by saying that they'll be closing the plotlines from earlier games in Wild Hunt.

Guest 3782876

I think what they are saying is that if you do not import your save , will have world default with random choices(or ''default'' choices). Perhaps the CD PROJEKT RED do not do it , just do not mention which way Geralt was in the other games in order to exclude the idea of ''default ''

Now I thought on it; dismissing barber's past story related questions from the start(if we can) might get us default set of choices, right. Otherwise if we have to go through decisions, there wouldn't be a "default set of choices" <captain obvious

I think the barber thing was a misunderstanding. Damien let it slip in the live Q and A that (spoiler tag in case someone wants to be surprised)
Dandelion will sing about Geralts past exploits, and you have the option of interrupting him to correct anything hes got wrong.

I mentioned earlier in the thread also; that most of the choices we made in earlier games(mostly W2) would most likely effect W3's secondary content(ongoing war, witch hunt, other might be recurring NPCs etc) , not so much on Geralt's personal story: 50 hours long main story would make the game stand on its own, a few changes in secondary content won't hurt standing alone with no friends game :D

Well I believe in CDPR to make our decisions matter, I'm not expecting huge consequences but also not as cheap as it was with DAI. And they also confirmed this to some extent by saying that they'll be closing the plotlines from earlier games in Wild Hunt.

We'll see but I'm definitely expecting something along the lines of DA:I.

There may not be a "default" as such ~ some 'incorrect' assumptions about what a witcher is or does, some wrong descriptions of prior events, or questions about how rumoured things came to be... "A conversation" if you will, where Geralt states *your* version of the world (possibly using your save game as a template if used, otherwise being player choices during play).

I seriously don't get this "default story" playtrough discussion.. What's then the point of that spent time in W1/W2, doing choices and getting excited for consiquences etc in W3? It makes no sense to me to first go with "default" story and dismiss your own saves with previously made decisions. That just goes agaisnt the nature of decision making system and personally makes the game less exciting for me..

Top Bottom