Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, breaking swords? Wtf?!? Please remove that shit or make it very rare / optional. I don't want to craft or buy some good sword for huge amount of orens, just to see how it breaks 1 hour latter...

Last edited:
We've known this for a while now, I don't see it as a big deal to be honest, but then again we don't have a lot to go on.

We don't know at which rate the sword breaks, we also don't know how expensive it will be to repair said sword or how hard it is to find craftsmen to do it. So I'll wait for a bit more information before I claim the feature to be good or bad.

Geralt the 100+ year old witcher forgets how to deflect arrows, despite having the skill. It's just silly, to me it's a bit too much of a lore sacrifice for the sake of tactical gameplay.

It wouldn't be much of an issue if it was a passive skill rather than an active one, but from the sounds of it it's one of the active ones that need to be in skill bar to work. I guess in my opinion the arrow deflection is just one of those basic skills that should be passive once unlocked.

It is still a videogame at the end of the day, having the deflecting arrows and bolts ability would change entirely how you approach combat, so having it unlocked at the start is rather silly gameplay-wise, because it would make the threat of ranged opponents really minimal (even though Geralt in the books had no problem of deflecting two goddamn arrows at the same time) but still, it is necessary in a videogame.

From a lore point of view it makes sense that Geralt has all his ability's and skills. But from a gameplay point of view it's bad, it become's boring really quickly in a 100+ game. And then people will say the progression curve is to steep again, because they need/want to learn all the button combinations to execute those unlocked ability's at the very start of the game. Just let people learn the skills throughout the game, people will feel like they accomplished something.

Just because a game is fantasy it still has to make sense within its own universe. IE. if someone in the game suddenly starts doing DBZ shit, I wouldn't accept it because there's magic and dragons and stuff in the universe. I'm over exaggerating of course but my autism flares up whenever someone says something like this.
Not saying arrow deflecting is that out of place though.
Why is that quote so bad? Is it that hard to imagine anyone, especially a seasoned witcher, to be able to deflect and somehow can point/aim the arrow away? This 'ability' would follow the rules of it's world. Because Witchers are, as we know, mutated humans who have greater strength, speed, agility, etc. Yet somehow a human, called Leo Bonhart, has been able to match a witcher's skill in battle. (with swords that is.) So it's not strange to assume one can deflect a arrow if he/she pays attention. (you know, someone who is exceptionally gifted or skilled.)

Progression of the character's ability to fight should not be about locking away essential abilities, it should come from the player's ability to learn how to use their assets more efficiently, which really only works if you have access to those abilities from the beginning. Playing a low level character feels like drinking a fine wine that is 90% diluted with piss! This is especially true for any subsequent playthroughs.

Also, level restrictions of items has never made any sense in the history of ever!

Durability on your swords can add some degree of immersion to the game, but it should take ages for it to make a difference, or it will only be annoying. If you could spend an hour of meditation to use a whetstone to maintain the sword yourself, that could work. Kind of like doing alchemy in TW1 took 1 hour to do.

Progression of the character's ability to fight should not be about locking away essential abilities, it should come from the player's ability to learn how to use their assets more efficiently, which really only works if you have access to those abilities from the beginning. Playing a low level character feels like drinking a fine wine that is 90% diluted with piss! This is especially true for any subsequent playthroughs.

Also, level restrictions of items has never made any sense in the history of ever!

But they're not locking essential abilities, are they? From the previews the did say that at the beginning of the game Geralt has access to all 5 his signs and he can block, riposte, dodge, roll and dish out light and heavy attacks. So actually no skill that's essential is locked.

http://www.eurogamer.cz/articles/2015-02-14-exkluzivni-rozhovor-s-tvrci-hry-zaklina-3

Czech interview with Jose Teixeira

in short:
>tried to push for a volumetric mist, not allowed by the technical director, may come back to it in the future
>VGX in TW2 was done by one person
>Sapkowski visited the studio several times, mainly at the beggining, to check on the writers
>they had to rewrite the whole streaming system at the beggining of 2014 due to the amount of content
>many people favour the Japanese VA, Geralt sounds like a samurai
>few more "endings" than the original 36, decisions will affect the world around you, but wont lock out an entire area like in TW2

Last edited:
If the uniq sword will break but not lose it its fine. But it makes you sad if the best sword will destroyed in the middle boss fight that you cant go back and repair it. Hope its like, if the sword breaks you can use it again after repair.

But they're not locking essential abilities, are they? From the previews the did say that at the beginning of the game Geralt has access to all 5 his signs and he can block, riposte, dodge, roll and dish out light and heavy attacks. So actually no skill that's essential is locked.

I really really reaaally hope that you are right! If I have to slug through 5+ hours of watered down gameplay before I can finally enjoy the combat like in TW2, I will be massively disappointed and probably lose all faith in CDPR's competence in designing character progression.

If we want character progression in a game with a protagonist who is already pretty much the best swordsman in the world, the progression should not be about him unlocking abilities he should already have, but rather about learning new tricks. Like with reflecting arrows, he already deflects arrows constantly in the books, and he attempted to deflect a crossbow bolt back at its shooter once in the books, and the bolt narrowly missed its target. That's the kind of skill-development I can get behind. I am also ok with Geralt upgrading his signs in that respect, because casting magic is something he can do, but only at a very basic level.

Damien and Jose will play it on PS4. Hmm that means There is no graphic cards yet that can play it on max with uber? :D

Just to clear some confusion about durability system, the word "destroyed" wasn't maybe the most accurate translation. The weapon will never completely break, but it can end up so dull that you will deal only a minimal damage until you fix it.

I actually like that, I just hope that it won't happen too quickly and we can do some degree of maintenance ourselves with a whetstone while meditating or something like that. Thanks for the clarification.

If the uniq sword will break but not lose it its fine. But it makes you sad if the best sword will destroyed in the middle boss fight that you cant go back and repair it. Hope its like, if the sword breaks you can use it again after repair.
THIS. Otherwise, loosing your precious sword completely after just a few hours, would totally suck..

EDIT: Thanks for the update, @Shavod.

Last edited:
- game is pretty difficult, as you can die even on easy if you're not careful

- some details about dynamic weather: there will be snow, different phases of day/night, different stages of cloudiness, storms, a few types of rain and even a morning mist

- enemy AI is really good. Wolves and bandits spread to cut off all of Geralt's escape routes. If you kill their respective leaders, they end up completely disorganized. One enemy can use himself as a living bait to give the rest of his squad a chance to put Geralt in a corner If you set up a trap or Yrden sign in front of the enemy, he will avoid it
All the information sound great,Especially excited about these

- skill tree is really massive. There are 5 trees (according to witchersite there was 4, so I'm not sure who is closer to the truth), each has 5 tiers and each tier contains 5 skills. Every skill has 3 or 4 levels to unlock. Even though later Geralt will gain more skill points per level it's still will be impossible to unlock all of it
- after unlocking the skill it needs to be activated. You do that by putting it into separate tree, which contains a limited number of slots (it will increase with character's progress). Activated skills affects Geralt's fighting style. Activating set of skills from the same category will increase it's effects. It adds another layer to preparations and tactical planning, as you have to choose an appropriate set of active skills depending on what kind of opponent you going to face (for example, if you going to fight with heavily armored knights, you can activate Igni upgrade that allows you to melt armors)

Did any of the previews or interviews mention how many of these slots in the special tree we will have at the end when all are unlocked`? I remember reading in one of the hands-on, that we will unlock the last slot at level 50, which was the max level according to the article writer.

I can't help but think feature creep is partially responsible for the delay. They've taken on so much, some of it even I deem not worth the effort, but it also reflects their ambition and the flat structure of the studio where almost anyone can suggest a feature. Too bad about no volumetric fog. The creeping mist outside Flotsam was already a cool thing, I hope we at least get something like that. I think it's safe to assume we won't be seeing the dynamic clouds and shadows Jose had mentioned either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom