The General Videogame Thread

+
So 1886 is ten hours with a platinum trophy(100%). Why is a triple a full price game the size of an indie?!

Because they can get away with this shit. I mean you, or someone, already bought it. There are much longer and meatier indies thpugh...

So 1886 is ten hours with a platinum trophy(100%). Why is a triple a full price game the size of an indie?!

That's what happens when a games primary focus is impressive visuals and a "cinematic experience" ;) 10 hours isn't that bad for a shooter, but apparently like 50% of it is cutscenes.

A 10 hours mediocre movie that requires me to press the unpause button every couple of minutes ("play") for the price of a regular 2 hours movie plus approximately a small popcorn and medium soft drink? Hm. Not sure what to think of it.

A 10 hours mediocre movie that requires me to press the unpause button every couple of minutes ("play") for the price of a regular 2 hours movie plus approximately a small popcorn and medium soft drink? Hm. Not sure what to think of it.

So it's basically some newfangled Dragon's Lair?

i think the visuals vs. gameplay dichotomy is just an excuse by designers who don't have much to contribute in terms of gameplay. the people doing the visuals are rarely the ones designing gameplay elements and mechanics, especially at triple a studios.

don't think i'm gonna blame they guy behind the graphics programming or the texture artists and modelers for the lead game designer's failures.

If they wanted to go down the cinematic route, why not just make an animated movie? That would make more sense than a game with barely any gameplay. I think that Ready at Dawn have lost the plot.

If they wanted to go down the cinematic route, why not just make an animated movie? That would make more sense than a game with barely any gameplay. I think that Ready at Dawn have lost the plot.

Because plenty of games are cinematic these days? ;)

For all the hate people are throwing at it, I'm sure I will have a good time regardless. You know, you would think people would remember that this is not the first game with 5 hours of gameplay and 5+ hours of cinematics.....

View attachment 10606

Heck, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are cinematic and QTE heavy. I enjoyed them for what they were.

Attachments

• mgs4_meta.jpg
    mgs4_meta.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 42

For all the hate people are throwing at it, I'm sure I will have a good time regardless. You know, you would think people would remember that this is not the first game with 5 hours of gameplay and 5+ hours of cinematics.....

View attachment 10606

Heck, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are cinematic and QTE heavy. I enjoyed them for what they were.

Well to be honest, MGS 4 also had really great gameplay, replay value and the (now dead) Metal Gear Online 2 so it's easier to justify a 60 dollar price.
The Order is probably getting so much hate because it is one of the flagship exclusive titles for PS4 with quite a bit of hype behind it, i'll probably pick it up next year when i can find it somewhere cheap.

View attachment 10606

If a game only had five hours of gameplay then I'd definitely feel ripped off if I paid $60. Five hours of gameplay should cost around $5-10 since it is about the size of an expansion pack or DLC for a typical game.

Because plenty of games are cinematic these days?

Like @Arvuti said, MGS4 actually had really good gameplay, and not QTE "CINEMATIC GAMING" gameplay that the Order 1886 game has.

On something completely different: I re-installed Mafia II today, but for some reason it crashes after a few minutes. Anyone know what causes this?

On something completely different: I re-installed Mafia II today, but for some reason it crashes after a few minutes. Anyone know what causes this?

Someone made you an offer you cannot refuse... and you refused?

Did you do a file integrity check, yet? Usually the first thing to do with a Steam game. Besides that, does it crash at a particular point or random? Did you check your system's temperatures?

Someone made you an offer you cannot refuse... and you refused?

Did you do a file integrity check, yet? Usually the first thing to do with a Steam game. Besides that, does it crash at a particular point or random? Did you check your system's temperatures?

I found out it was my system forcing tessellation. Always the thing you never expect, eh? :facepalm:

Thanks anyway! :)

Last edited:
Well to be honest, MGS 4 also had really great gameplay, replay value and the (now dead) Metal Gear Online 2 so it's easier to justify a 60 dollar price.
The Order is probably getting so much hate because it is one of the flagship exclusive titles for PS4 with quite a bit of hype behind it, i'll probably pick it up next year when i can find it somewhere cheap.
Yep, MGS4 had a lot of content. When a $60+ game is 5 hours long (Or less when skipping cut scenes) and has no multiplayer, worthwhile unlockables, replay, other modes in general then that's an issue for me. If you cannot make your campaign longer or a longer campaign wouldn't be as good (Pacing or what have you) then you should try to add in other things. This isn't an indie developer. They have the budget to be able to add in some stuff to do that isn't the campaign. They could at least put in a survival arena type mode.

---------- Updated at 07:18 PM ----------

Hotline Miami 2 has a free digital comic on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/274170/

"Download the Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number digital comic series by Dayjob Studio prior to the release of the game and dive into the backstory of several factions on a path to confrontation. The entire five-part series is free to download and comes in a single app that will be updated with new issues leading up to the launch of Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number."

You've got to wonder to yourself when you kickstart a game for a few million and it has dozens of hours of content while the AAAA+ game is just a few hours long for a budget of many dozens of millions, what the fuck is happening? Less content for more bucks, and more content for less.

Top Bottom