Movies / TV Shows!

+
Fucking hell :facepalm:
Im so fucking sick of Russians being stereotype villains and played by.......well everything other than actual russians -.-

I just started learning Russian and if there is 1 thing about it that i dont look forward to is hearing all of the shitty russian spoken by non-russians in movies and games.

(available with Russian subtitles)

Last edited:
Just watched "Nightcrawler" today, a movie about crime journalism. But man, it's got to be one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. I can't recall the last time I felt so uncomfortable, uneasy, and plain sick just watching the protagonist go about his business, in no small part thanks to Jake Gyllenhaal's incredible performance which was extremely realistic and grounded. No over-acting, no stone-faces, just... realism. I don't follow the Oscars, but Nightcrawler should at least get nominated for Best Picture. Highly recommended.

Agreed. great movie, well acted, with very disturbing tones. Must admit, I don;t quite understand people who would watch such gory events with their morning coffee... radios don't remain in one piece long in my house thanks to our local morning shock jock, and thats even without pictures.

Even in these days of rolling news I haven't witnessed the like on Irish or English telly, do other countries really go for this stuff snuff ?

FYI: Charlie Brookers started his yearly swipe at modern culture, maybe you can catch up on BBCs Iplayer.

Not sure if Anime should go here. I just learned they're making a prequel/Retelling of the original Gundam series. It's being adapted from a manga series (You can find it on Amazon. It has the same title as the series)

This is the English dub. Skip to about 50 seconds in for the real teaser to start. There's a Japanese version with subs too. Figured I'd post the dubbed version. I think it looks pretty good

Went to see American Sniper yesterday, it's one awesome movie! I read some reviews in which people said it's propaganda, but I didn't think it was. Clint Eastwood did another amazing job. The movie's based on Chris Kyle's book. This wasn't just a typical action movie. You get to see how war affects soldiers' lives, their families' lives. The acting is seriously good. Bradley Cooper does a great job playing Chris Kyle, a man who wants to save his fellow soldier's lives, but also has to be with his family, and becomes a legend among the soldiers with his over 160 confirmed kills. Not a boring scene in this movie. And the shooting, sniping parts were pretty accurate which for someone like me who spends a lot of time in the shooting range catches the eye. All in all, if you like movies about war, this is definitely a must-see.
Edit - no wonder it was nominated for 6 oscars.

Last edited:
Vikings was solid if not too exciting. Seems the first episode always plays it safe, setting up the narrative. The symbolism and silent moments are used in full effect, and i like that about the show. Hirst loves to insinuate. Fimmel still owns the role. I love his habitual quirks, there's really nothing else like Ragnar on TV. Only downside was a ridiculous military blunder that woulds have never happened in real life.

I watched the 2-part opening of Spooks' season 5 and ugh it was amazing. I really admire the writers' (and actors') ability to make you end up caring so deeply about characters that you weren't even very keen on at the beginning. When
Tom
left the team after season 2(?) I was SO upset and didn't really like Adam that much but now I love that character so much, and I spend pretty much all the episodes being terrified that this will be the episode when Zaf or Adam or someone else will leave the show. The only reason I'm not worried about
Harry or Ruth
leaving is because I know they make it till the end, although I've forgotten what happened in the last series, which I'm glad about, tbh.

I'm so thankful for the BBC, they have made so many fantastic shows.

When
Tom
left the team after season 2(?) I was SO upset and didn't really like Adam that much but now I love that character so much, and I spend pretty much all the episodes being terrified that this will be the episode when Zaf or Adam or someone else will leave the show.

This is the one thing I dislike about the otherwise fantastic British shows. I don't know if it's because they tend to be shorter seasons, or just something to do with the renewal process, but there are so many that have a high cast turnover. I dread announcements of new seasons that have a "but there's nobody left from the cast of the last season".

So did you watch The Fall?

This is the one thing I dislike about the otherwise fantastic British shows. I don't know if it's because they tend to be shorter seasons, or just something to do with the renewal process, but there are so many that have a high cast turnover. I dread announcements of new seasons that have a "but there's nobody left from the cast of the last season".

So did you watch The Fall?

I think Spooks in particular has a very high rate of cast changes, but I don't remember too many other shows that are the same way? Besides Doctor Who companions but I stopped enjoying that show after Moffat took over the show.

Yeah I did watch The Fall, it was a strange movie tbh, not exactly what I was expecting but it was pretty interesting. Idk aesthetically it was quite beautiful with all the bright colours and landscapes but I still don't know how to feel about it. But I'm glad it had a happy ending.

I think Spooks in particular has a very high rate of cast changes, but I don't remember too many other shows that are the same way?

I agree, Spooks was particularly bad, but others that come to mind...
Being Human - total cast change by the fifth season.
Bedlam - total cast change for Season 2, which is probably why there was no Season 3.
Misfits - most of the original cast had left by the end of Season 3

Yeah I did watch The Fall, it was a strange movie tbh, not exactly what I was expecting but it was pretty interesting. Idk aesthetically it was quite beautiful with all the bright colours and landscapes but I still don't know how to feel about it. But I'm glad it had a happy ending.

I thought the first season was great, but was a little disappointed in the second. It felt like there was a lot of filler, that they didn't really have enough story for a full season. I agree about the ending though, I was dreading the possibility of another open ending, so was glad it ended the way it did.

Currently watching Foyle's War. A lot better than I'd expected. I love classic British whodunnits.

I agree, Spooks was particularly bad, but others that come to mind...
Being Human - total cast change by the fifth season.
Bedlam - total cast change for Season 2, which is probably why there was no Season 3.
Misfits - most of the original cast had left by the end of Season 3

I didn't watch Being Human past series 3, I think? I just remember feeling as though after season 3 the show was finished and I guess the actors were beginning to feel the same way lol.
I can't comment on the other shows since I haven't seen them, but I know Skins also had the habit of changing casts almost entirely every year so I guess that show counts too. In a way it's a good thing though since it allows for lots of actors/actresses to star on popular shows, which perhaps otherwise they wouldn't have been able to do.

I thought the first season was great, but was a little disappointed in the second. It felt like there was a lot of filler, that they didn't really have enough story for a full season. I agree about the ending though, I was dreading the possibility of another open ending, so was glad it ended the way it did.

Currently watching Foyle's War. A lot better than I'd expected. I love classic British whodunnits.

The Fall is a TV series? I thought you meant the american movie The Fall starring Lee Pace :| I haven't watched the TV show, what's it about?
Ooooh Foyle's War did some shooting for an episode in one of the villages I went to school at, if I remember correctly. But I was only about 7 or 6 maybe at the time so I didn't know the show :p

Well, that explains why you described The Fall as having a "Happy Ending". I thought you were just avoiding spoilers... :)
Standard Cop vs Serial Killer storyline, but extremely well done. Set in Northern Ireland. Female lead (Gillian Anderson), sexy bad guy (Jamie Dornan).

Foyle's War is a classic British whodunnit, but set during WWII and just afterwards. One story per episode, but some over-arching storylines too. The final two seasons are more about the Intelligence services than crime. I like it because it's a fairly clever whodunnit (hard to guess who it was, but the clues are there), and because they do the WWII background very well. It's supposedly pretty accurate historically, but it doesn't drift into either soppiness or a lecture.

And I agree about Being Human and Season 3. It really went downhill. It improved again in the final series, but they were right to end it.

Last edited:
Another fine whodunit was (unfortunately cancelled after 7 episodes) The Bletchley Circle. It added the dimension of women whose wartime service was cast off without so much as a word of thanks, and struggling to be taken seriously in 50's Britain.

---------- Updated at 10:42 PM ----------

F***ing hilarious black comedy from Argentina, Relatos Salvajes ("Wild Tales"). Seems to be in very limited distribution; we had to go up to L.A. to see it.

"A boomerang returns back to the person who throws it. But first, while moving in a circle, it hits its target." [Vera Nazarian]

The trailer might be slight spoilers.

I'll just say it may have the best wedding ever put to film.

Pawlikowski's acceptance speech was great, he just gave no fucks about that "pls end your speech" music. (Speech starts at around 1:00)

Another fine whodunit was (unfortunately cancelled after 7 episodes) The Bletchley Circle. It added the dimension of women whose wartime service was cast off without so much as a word of thanks, and struggling to be taken seriously in 50's Britain.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that one a try. The same issue has come up in a couple of the Foyle's War episodes, one from the perspective of returning servicemen finding their jobs had gone, and one from the perspective of women losing their jobs because they were expected to give up work and Make Babies.

F***ing hilarious black comedy from Argentina, Relatos Salvajes ("Wild Tales"). Seems to be in very limited distribution; we had to go up to L.A. to see it.

"A boomerang returns back to the person who throws it. But first, while moving in a circle, it hits its target." [Vera Nazarian]

The trailer might be slight spoilers.

I'll just say it may have the best wedding ever put to film.

It´s a very good film. It really portraits some features of Argentine society in a very satirical way, with clever criticism. Worth watching, definitely.

I watched "The theory of everything". Beautiful and terrible film at the same time... I ended up crying my ass off. Absolutely recomended, with astounding acting.

Is anyone else watching the TV show Vikings? I finished the 3rd episode of season 1 today and I am enjoying it. During our history lessons at school we never learnt much about the Vikings (which is a shame because I think they are fascinating) and this show is great because it's based on real historical characters.
I like the representation of the female characters, and the one thing that it gets right that GoT fails horribly at is having nudity of both men and women, not just women. (Seriously as much as I used to love GoT, the sex scenes where the man was still in his armour???? drove me crazy).

Top Bottom