Inventory

+
Just because an object in modeled in 3D doesn't mean in can interact with other 3D objects.
Take a handgun for instance.
If it's laying on a table, floor, whatever that's fine, it's on top of the other 3D object and you can create a "terrain mask" to blank out part of the object it's on so you don't get a double image (both the object and what it's laying on).
Now let's pick up the handgun. A simple terrain mask won't work now because you can't just blank out your hand, from various viewing angles various parts of your hand will be visible. Also you need artwork for the hand itself holding the weapon.
OK, let's holster the weapon. Well now we need artwork for the holster and masking for the handgun so it doesn't superimpose with the holster. And is this holster on your hip? Shoulder holster? Small of your back? Ankle holster? And each of those different holster types has to interact with your clothing.
Now let's pick up a 2nd handgun, or a rifle, or whatever ... where are you carrying each ... how does it occlude your clothing, the other object, it's holster or straps?

Certainly all this can be done, but is it worth the time, money, and effort just so you can see your character look like:

View attachment 10408
View attachment 10409
View attachment 10410

Attachments

• KvkIj7p.jpg
    KvkIj7p.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 48
  • The-Most-Tactical-AR15-EVER-618x412.jpg
    The-Most-Tactical-AR15-EVER-618x412.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 47
  • UltimateAR.jpg
    UltimateAR.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Actually, putting multiple different props on a character as well as different clothing options really is not that difficult, nor time consuming; clothing in particular. I do it all the time with DAZ Studio 4.7 Pro. Once the base figures, clothing items, and props are modeled and rigged, it's not that hard to fit the clothes to a base figure, and smart prop the gear to him or her. If you're working with "off-the-shelf" content, it's even easier. Therefore, it really wouldn't be that difficult to set up.

And, even if it would be difficult, yeah, I think it's worth it.

Okay, admittedly not for the hilarious silliness pics that Suhiira posted : that -is- dumb. And I still think that should be a function of carry capacity. No human Gundams, thanks.

No, I meant in the sense of opening your dufflebag and looking inside and seeing everything you are carrying in 3D, rotating the image, rifling through the bag..

Still easy to do and not interfere in gameplay, but kind of more fun than a 2D display on a grid or a list with weights, you know?

This does tie into our carry capacity discussion - I'm still torn between my Fallout packrat instincts to MINEMINEMINE everything and coo over it later, or a reasonable weight/space limit and, you know, less useless items.

A compromise would be to make many cool items be media and data and lightweight cybernetic parts.

Edit:

See, I think the interaction with your character, whether in 1st or 3rd person, holsters and inventory, is really, really important. you're going to spend a lot of time staring at it. Details and extra work count.

You might not remember the second level of Deus Ex very well, or what you did for your first quest in Skyrim, but you for sure remember how the inventory worked and how your gear looked hanging off you. It's definitive to your character expression in an RPG, in many ways.

Last edited:
Actually, putting multiple different props on a character as well as different clothing options really is not that difficult, nor time consuming; clothing in particular. I do it all the time with DAZ Studio 4.7 Pro. Once the base figures, clothing items, and props are modeled and rigged, it's not that hard to fit the clothes to a base figure, and smart prop the gear to him or her. If you're working with "off-the-shelf" content, it's even easier. Therefore, it really wouldn't be that difficult to set up.

Depends - you still have issues of clipping, smart props don't correct for it especially well once you start animating. But yes, it would be really good if the third-person view of your character showed your inventory correctly.

Glad to hear I'm wrong.
You no doubt know FAR mare about computer graphics then I, a mere code monkey do.

I'd also like to be able to replace my torso for extra storage space, like Bender in Futurama. That would come in handy.

Top Bottom