Weapon Degradation

+

Weapon Degradation

• Total voters
I guess you won't be using fast-travel then, since the more immersive experience is to walk?

Personally, I think escapism is a part of gaming. Implementing every menial minutiae of every-day life is swiftly obsoleted by the real thing (real life). Games are an essentialised distillation of some facet of reality, they aren't supposed to be reality simulators. If they were we'd have no time to play them.

Immersion is a value, sure, but there are many things in games that aren't realistic at all and i've been able to take at face value. The ability of a game to immerse you is greater than the sum of its parts and isn't so crude as simply imitating how the real world operates.

I'm still curious as to what else people think it adds to the game, besides the inherent realism.

In response to your first comment, yes, I intend to never ever use Fast Travel. As for the rest, well my point was already in the bit you quoted:

Realistic or not, I'll take any system that enhances that immersion and creates atmosphere, and I see weapon degradation as something that could potentially add both

It's also why in my full comment I placed "realism" in those scare quotes, because I wasn't saying realism HAS to be there or else the game isn't immersive, but merely that sometimes the implementation of a realistic feature can lead to an enhanced experience, immersion or possibly otherwise (And the fact that people have different definitions as to what "realism" actually means when implemented into different games).

Absolutely not. You have this nice and cool sword and then it will break apart and bye bye nice sword. I don't like this super special weapon to decompose as I fight with it. Sure, if the blade gets a bit dull, you could sharpen it with some stones. That would be okay. But I really dislike weapon degradation.

The weapon won't break, that was cleared up as a mis-translation. It will get dull to a certain point (How far we don't know), but it won't actually just shatter or anything like that.

God I hope effectiveness doesn't degrade over time. We'd constantly be forking out crowns to maintain optimal performance. I'd rather the weapon just 'break' after it's durability hits zero.

That would indeed be the worst case scenario... there is absolutely no fun factor in doing this...

Crafting items is fun, repairwork isnt...if it forces me to run to a blacksmith for every fight I prepare for.... hours will be spent doing idlework.... Hope geralt can do sword repair himself... damaged armor parts would be a compromise... since damage can be prevented by fighting efficiently... this would even encourage a careful fighting style... which would be cool I think... if you fight better you can keep more money in that sense....but pls no weapon degradation that only blacksmiths can fix....

this is just a plain annoyance....
The next thing will be, that we need to repair geralts boots when running too much or bring the horse to a repair-service ... so we dont get speed degradation ...rofl...
I would probably put all my skill points into magic or spam crossbow just to escape the degradation hell ...

Last edited:
That would indeed be the worst case scenario... there is absolutely no fun factor in doing this...

Crafting items is fun, repairwork isnt...if it forces me to run to a blacksmith for every fight I prepare for.... hours will be spent doing idlework.... Hope geralt can do sword repair himself... damaged armor parts would be a compromise... since damage can be prevented by fighting efficiently... this would even encourage a careful fighting style... which would be cool I think... if you fight better you can keep more money in that sense....but pls no weapon degradation that only blacksmiths can fix....

this is just a plain annoyance....
The next thing will be, that we need to repair geralts boots when running too much or bring the horse to a repair-service ... so we dont get speed degradation ...rofl...
I would probably put all my skill points into magic or spam crossbow just to escape the degradation hell ...

I agree with this. If your damage output starts decreasing as soon as you start using your sword, that would be truly annoying. It would force us to run to the blacksmith all the time, and to do so we would probably quickly start using fast travel, which would actually hurt our immersion. I think it would be best, if the sword could only be in one of two states: either it's in a good condition and gives maximum damage or it's dull and gives lower damage. But even then, I still think this is a pointless feature. Weapon degradation didn't enhance my enjoyment of Dark Souls at all, it was just someting I had to do from time to time.

Last edited:
In response to your first comment, yes, I intend to never ever use Fast Travel. As for the rest, well my point was already in the bit you quoted: The weapon won't break, that was cleared up as a mis-translation. It will get dull to a certain point (How far we don't know), but it won't actually just shatter or anything like that.

Oh that's alright for me then.

I agree with this. If your damage output starts decreasing as soon as you start using your sword, that would be truly annoying. It would force us to run to the blacksmith all the time, and to do so we would probably quickly start using fast travel, which would actually hurt our immersion. I think it would be best, if the sword could only be in one of two states: either it's in a good condition and gives maximum damage or it's dull and gives lower damage. But even then, I still think this is a pointless feature. Weapon degradation didn't enhance my enjoyment of Dark Souls at all, it was just someting I had to do from time to time.
That's just it, a lot of us like the same popular games, but not enough people ever speak up about the little features that we didn't like in such games.
We just tolerated it, because the rest of the game was good enough and no one ever really knows how much of us never liked it before it's to late, and we see the same undesireable shit in the next so called new game that comes out. e.g QTE or Highlighted enemies, or glowing areas and items of interest, cheesy gamey stuff.. like button prompt icons and xp points that no one has the options to turn on or off. Shit like that, or like what you said about darksouls etc.. or even just stupid animation effects. It must be hard to make a game that everyone can enjoy looking at and playing worldwide, but I still think CDPR Team are going to pull it off. I have enough faith in them, to look over everything with a fine tooth comb 3 or 4 times. I hope they weed out all the things that just don't artistically fit or are doubled in the game,world,combat,effects,animations and or find all things that can be improved upon textures,combat, npcs,animals,ai,effects, structures, sounds, lip sync,dialogue,models,music,lighting,fps,resolution omg!!! blah..blah... it's fucking creative clean up madness time!!! lol.. Stay Positive Red Team, I'll be with you ;)

IsengrimR

I really like the idea of weapon degradation if it's not permanent in some way (weapon doesn't lose stats over time).
.... Small touch that adds to realism. That was the feature I loved in original Diablo. But I agree with above comments that degradation should no happen too fast, but swords do lose sharpness pretty quck in real life. I guess this feature is only to encourage player to sharpen swords and prepare more seriously before fights - encounter dangerous monster - read all available information / track it / meditate / sharpen your swords / drink some potions / .....probably die anyway :D
... and if you neglect to sharpen swords for a longer period, then your only solution is a blacksmith ....
It could work very well, but it depends on balancing this feature. Nobody wants it to become a chore.

I get your point alright... but...
What realism?

Sorry but no. What you can damage on your blade is mostly your edge. Add yes, that can be very hard to fix, but considering the apparently legendary quality of witcher blades, is unlikely that blade chipping and damage that is not easily fixable would happen.
Loosing sharpness is really irrelevant on small picture. You do not need to run to a blacksmith with it. You can do it yourself, perfectly fine. Therefore durability... does not really make sense.

Overall, I say NAY!
It's a boring overused feature, unless we can fix it while meditating or just on-the-fly it will only give me a higher annoyance level when playing the game.

Don't remember which thread, but someone posted an article that pretty much confirmed my worst fear. 1) Weapons lose their effectiveness over time if you do not repair them. 2) You have to visit blacksmiths to do so :S

I noticed Geralt passing an anvil in the Nilfgaardian camp (with map icon and all) during the hands-on gameplay (at the steps of the tower). I guess those are the 'blacksmiths' scattered throughout the world we'll need.

Oh, and a 'sharpener' next to it (it appears on the map just as Geralt passes the anvil), I was wondering what that icon was on the Ard Skellig map...

Last edited:
Fun and realism can contradict each other.

How can I reply this sentence without risking Rep ban me....

If there are any dev who can make you fun having a real sensation in a fantasy game they will be CDPR ;)

If there are any dev who can make you fun having a real sensation in a fantasy game they will be CDPR ;)

... I think the picture was a bit much... on a side note... I ponder if we will ever get a RED post in this thread...

Last edited:

I actually honestly hope they will prove me wrong and weapon degradation will be fun. I really do.

Btw nice unicorn you have.

... I think the picture was a bit much... on a side note... I ponder if we will ever get a RED post in this thread...

mmmh the pic... yes... Maybe if they have not posted here yet because some hater broke their unibike.

---------- Updated at 07:37 PM ----------

I actually honestly hope they will prove me wrong and weapon degradation will be fun. I really do.

Btw nice unicorn you have.

ME too!

BTW, I know is hard to believe but I'm a girl... an old and grumpy gamergirl...

mmmh the pic... yes... Maybe if they have not posted here yet because some hater broke their unibike.

---------- Updated at 07:37 PM ----------

ME too!

BTW, I know is hard to believe but I'm a girl... an old and grumpy gamergirl...

Maybe they should have a unicorn trophy that magically stops degradation... of course obtaining it might be an unpopular affair :fun:

Yes they can. Which is why I put both of them there. I believe they can do both. Especially with this particular design choice.

---------- Post merged on 24-02-2015 at 12:10 AM ----------

Yes they can. Which is why I put both of them there. I believe they can do both. Especially with this particular design choice.

If someone saw me riding this bike in the neighborhood... I would be killed atleast twice.

On-Topic: I still don't like this feature, but as long as your weapons stays in a "good" shape for quite some time and as long as it's not frustrating - I think I could live with that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom