Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations! You were so lucky not to have to postpone the wedding because of the TW3 launch :)

I don't honestly know how it works here between church and civil wedding, although I suspect that a Catholic wedding covers the civil requirements too. In Singapore, which is the one I know best, the two were separate. There could often be weeks or even months between the civil wedding (always first), and the religious one. The civil wedding may be held early because the couple would be eligible to buy a low-cost apartment after registering the marriage, when the apartment was ready, and on a suitably auspicious date, the religious ceremony would take place and the couple would consider themselves truly married. I think there were also some churches eligible to conduct the civil signing too. In the UK, if you had a church wedding, the couple would disappear into the vestry after the main religious ceremony to do the civil signing, so the two were together, religious first but only by a few minutes.

We had a civil wedding.

Here it is: First legal wedding, then religious or non-religious usually on another day, if you want it. Regligious is not legally binding alone. Also usually there is a bachelors or bachelorette party the evening before or sometimes the weekend before. After the wedding there is usually a party.

Religious wedding depends on which religion you are. Can be protestant (Letheranian) or catholic in most cases, but I guess islamic and Hinduistic or others would work as well. Don't know anybody personally though. If you are from different religions I only know how it works for protestants and catholics. The protestants are fine with it, as long as one part is protestant. For the catholics you either have to be both catholic, or you can make an "Ökumenische" marriage (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchliche_Trauung#.C3.96kumenische_Trauung), in which you decide in which church you want to marry and then both a pastor and a priest do it together and it is registered in both churches.

Congratulations @gedierond :)

For my country, there are no civil marriages, depending on the bride and groom's religion, they are either wed by a Muslim Shiekh from the Sharia Court if they are both Muslim or the groom is Muslim (Muslim women are forbidden from marrying non-Muslims according to sharia law, yes, it is retarded, but it has been so for 1400 years) or they are wed by a priest from the Ecclesiastical Court they are both Christian, then after that, the wedding party happens.

Wedding parties here are generally really important events, with 200 invitees being the average number of people in a wedding party, and it lasts about from dusk to near dawn.

When it comes to Circassians, our parties have a lot of cultural dances, like the Kafe/Qafa dance, two lines of people line up, one for men and the other for women align opposite to each other and then one man and one woman start to dance for like a minute, then they go back and others take their place while the others clap to the beat of the musicians.

Something similar to this :p

As for Arabs, they have the Wedding march (the Zaffa) an old tradition, it happens before the wedding party happens, and it is usually on the way to the wedding party place, because of how fun they are, we also do them :p

@King_Hochmeister Why Hochmeister by the way. I have always been curious. It sounds so German.

It is the title for the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order, and why did I pick it? Because of those armors :p

And yes, I am fully aware that they were bigot pricks, but they had cool armors :p

Last edited:
Congratulations gadierond.

Where I'm from we say "Βιον ανθόσπαρτον" which literally translates to "A life full of flowers". So I'll wish you that.

Regarding weddings, I'm really not sure, if people who just have religious weddings are instantly considered legally married, or if they need to register at the city hall or something. Most people here have religious weddings, but the ratio is changing kind of rapidly I'd say. A lot of couples have both religious and civil weddings.

After either or both ceremonies there's usually nightlong festivities. Lot's of people invited. Around 200 sounds average to me as well. We have this thing though, most people choose to separate the grooms friends and family from the bride's. Different sides of the room, while the couple and close family are seated in the middle of the room. Kind of dumb if you ask me. Makes it harder to meet the bride's pretty cousins and so on.

Anyway, the party lasts till morning. Lot's of dancing usually. After most people have left though, then starts the weirdness. Typically non traditional music, probably music that the groom likes but not the bride (judging from my cousin's very recent marriage), throwing drunk people in the pool and all that.

Bah, I don't really enjoy wedding parties. At least the one's that are this big. Volsung did it right if you ask me.

Finally, the time has come. I´m getting married this week!
I honestly can´t believe how time can fly so quickly... It seems just a couple of weeks ago we were just starting to plan the whole thing, and now here we are!

So, this made me think about wedding traditions and I´m now wondering how it´s done in other countries.
Here we usually have two instances: the legal procedure and the ceremony/wedding party. Generally we have the legal procedure one day, by which one is actually bindingly married to the eyes of the state, and then those who want a religious (or not) ceremony do it a couple of days later. Usually, the party is after the ceremony.
Thus, my fiancee and me are getting legally married this Friday, while we´re having a non-religious, symbolic ceremony and the party afterwards the following Sunday.

My understanding it that in other countries a religious ceremony can also be legally binding. Is that so?
How´s the whole deal in your countries?
Congratulations! Best wishes! ;)

Here in Italy there are both "religious" and civil marriages. I put " " because, however, for the first the ceremony alone is not enough, and it has to be signed legally after, but you can do it even in the church. The second is really simple: go to city hall, blabla, signed. Happy ever after.

Marriages here are usually a big deal: planning, planning planning, especially if there's religious ceremony.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the good wishes!
And thank you for sharing the traditions in your countries! It´s always interesting to learn about other cultures!

Here wedding parties tend to be quite crowded as well. Mine will have about 120 guests, and it´s being considered quite small actually.
Regarding the planning, yeah, it´s kind of stressful. But I found it also nice, to see how everything starts falling into its place. It´s also quite an emotional time, at least for us (but we were always kind of crybabies... :p).
We´re having non-religious ceremony because we come from different backgrounds. I was raised more in a Catholic way, while she is Jewish. Neither of our families is religious, though. In fact, the ceremony is going to be held by two friends of mine, who are actors! It should be funny!

Regarding the bachelor/bachelorette parties, we´ve had ours already. Mine was last Saturday, actually. They usually involve putting a costume on the ones getting married and making them do some funny deeds in the street, for everyone to see. Lost of alcohol are usually involved as well, lol!
Maybe I could post a picture from my bachelor party, but I don´t know if it´s such a good idea...

@gedierond

Well it can't be as bad as the ones over here! I've seen guys getting tarred and feathered, tied to lamp posts for a couple of hours with signs around their necks, driven through the street whilst having water thrown over them and so on...

Well, here there used to be some like that, but now they have been toned down a bit (thankfully!!)

EDIT:
Congratulations Gedierond, hope you have many years of happy and fertile marriage before you, may only tears of happiness wash you and your partners cheeks.

Thanks, Bloth! I even understood every word!!
:hai:

No, seriously, thank very much for your good wishes!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom