Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we didn't have one. Not only are we wowingly advanced, we're also very well equipped.

And no, I'm the son of a bitch taking the picture.

Nice. Not even bolt cutters. Hell, I have bolt cutters. For reasons. It's nice to see you have the top of the line chain/kevlar gloves we use in heavy/hazardous materials handling now, too.

Nice gun machines.... until the one hands it is targeting you...

I wonder, why killer items are more admired than those which create and help life. Is it the easier and faster resuts the main reason?

I wonder, why killer items are more admired than those which create and help life. Is it the easier and faster resuts the main reason?

I find this question to be rather ironic considering this is The Witcher forums. Perhaps Master Geralt could best answer this question since he has much experience concerning such issues; he constantly must decide whether or not to use weapons to take or save a life.

Also one must consider that "killer items" can be used to save lives as well; the purpose of a tool is determined by the one who wields it. If The Witcher games have illustrated anything it's that life isn't always so black and white, there are lots of shades of gray and things are often more complex than they at first appear.

Last edited:
Not ironic at all. Of course I could understand Geralt's admiration for weapons, better said, swords. He is a hunter, a killer of monsters, his nature is made for kill. I have not any link with the witcher world, because the weapons here posted don't belong to his world nor personality. In fact Geralt speaks with a lot of people but he talks with people who are far away to kill others as a job. (here I don't know which verb mean deep conversation over mere chat)

But, anycase, my question is just what I've writen, don't search what I think of it or what I'd mean. That's not fair for the conversation (except if one of us use a wrong term in a unknown field, but I rather ask before pretending)

Killer items against people save other people is an axioma similar to who was first, the chicken or the egg?

Last edited:
Wtichat I agree with you, I don't find looking at guns particularly fun or impressive. Instead they just remind me of the weekly news where I have heard yet another person murdered (usually by the police with guns in America).

I can admire a "beautiful" weapon (adjective not literalabout their looks but their conception). I only try imagine to be in both sides.

And I've not made an assertion, I just exposed a Question I use to made myshelf when I find myself admiring about a rifle or a plane...

Not ironic at all. Of course I could understand Geralt's admiration for weapons, better said, swords. He is a hunter, a killer of monsters, his nature is made for kill. I have not any link with the witcher world, because the weapons here posted don't belong to his world nor personality. In fact Geralt speaks with a lot of people but he talks with people who are far away to kill others as a job. (here I don't know which verb mean deep conversation over mere chat)

But, anycase, my question is just what I've writen, don't search what I think of it or what I'd mean. That's not fair for the conversation (except if one of us use a wrong term in a unknown field, but I rather ask before pretending)

Killer items against people save other people is an axioma similar to who was first, the chicken or the egg?

It's hard to answer your original question about why people admire "killer items" more than ones which create and help life because that is just too broad of a topic. Things which kill are often used to also save lives and help to create life. It's not a simple question with a simple answer or conclusion. Also, what one person considers to be a "killer item" another person may consider to be something else completely.

Guns are not only used for evil.
If you learn to respect the weapon, the safety rules, that a gun isn't a toy, you can use them in shooting ranges, and actually this can be a very nice way to pass the time and is also relaxing. That's how I got introduced to weapons, and that's how everyone should be. The golden rule we always had: There is no unloaded weapon, a weapon is not a toy.

I do sports shooting very regularly, and it is a very fun and challenging sport, and we don't use it to hurt animals whatsoever.

It's hard to answer your original question about why people admire "killer items" more than ones which create and help life because that is just too broad of a topic. Things which kill are often used to also save lives and help to create life. It's not a simple question with a simple answer or conclusion. Also, what one person considers to be a "killer item" another person may consider to be something else completely.

Yes I know it's hard. If not It were a joke from me, weren't it? ;)

---------- Updated at 11:51 AM ----------

Guns are not only used for evil.
If you learn to respect the weapon, the safety rules, that a gun isn't a toy, you can use them in shooting ranges, and actually this can be a very nice way to pass the time and is also relaxing. That's how I got introduced to weapons, and that's how everyone should be. The golden rule we always had: There is no unloaded weapon, a weapon is not a toy.

I do sports shooting very regularly, and it is a very fun and challenging sport, and we don't use it to hurt animals whatsoever.

Here again... I didn't the term evil or good. If you interpreting that from a simple neutral question maybe is because you can see it the evil in this use... :p

Agreed.
I read a debate about Chris Kyle who had over 160 confirmed kills as a sniper in Afghanistan. People said he just murdered a lot of people. And what about the number of lives he saved by each kill?

---------- Updated at 11:52 AM ----------

Here again... I didn't the term evil or good. If you interpreting that from a simple neutral question maybe is because you can see it the evil in this use... :p

Ah yeah, you're right I'm sorry :D it's just that 9/10 times when somebody mentions a weapon they think of evil.

Agreed.
I read a debate about Chris Kyle who had over 160 confirmed kills as a sniper in Afghanistan. People said he just murdered a lot of people. And what about the number of lives he saved by each kill?

160 deads are a fact. Possible life saved just speculations (Devil's advocate in me here)

Agreed.

---------- Updated at 11:52 AM ----------

Ah yeah, you're right I'm sorry :D it's just that 9/10 times when somebody mentions a weapon they think of evil.

And you put me directly in that 90%? Why? What make you think I am one ot those?

Wtichat I agree with you, I don't find looking at guns particularly fun or impressive. Instead they just remind me of the weekly news where I have heard yet another person murdered (usually by the police with guns in America).

See, you look at guns and see murder and death (probably due to lack of experience with guns if I had to guess; your experience is based off of what you see in the media). I look at guns and see mechanical pieces of art. I enjoy marksmanship just for the sake of marksmanship. I enjoy the different characteristics that guns have and how they perform and function. I enjoy being able to hit a target at long range, being able to shoot moving targets, etc. Honing different marksmanship skills is enjoyable and gives a real sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:
no, no I ment people in general, I didn't say you specifically :D sorry for the misunderstanding

LOL!

hahah Never mind! I assume you are a good guy, but, as you can see, we don't read carefully because we are making prejudgements WHILE we are reading and we are aimed indefectibly to the easy misunderstanding :p

See, you look at guns and see murder and death (probably due to lack of experience with guns if I had to guess; your experience is based off of what you see in the media). I look at guns and see mechanical pieces of art. I enjoy marksmanship just for the sake of marksmanship. I enjoy the different characteristics that guns have and how they perform and function. I enjoy being able to hit a target a long range, being able to shoot moving targets, etc. Honing different marksmanship skills is enjoyable and gives a real sense of accomplishment.

Yeah, we sometimes have precision shooting competitions where we have targets from 50-150 metres, but the exact distance is unknown, so the trick is to judge the distance correctly, and adjust your scope for that. And when you hit the target straight in the middle and you judged right, that's just a good feel.

---------- Updated at 12:02 PM ----------

LOL!

hahah Never mind! I assume you are a good guy, but, as you can see, we don't read carefully because we are making prejudgements WHILE we are reading and we are aimed indefectibly to the easy misunderstanding :p

I meant no offense to anyone, really.

Last edited:
Yeah, we sometimes have precision shooting competitions where we have targets from 50-150 metres, but the exact distance is unknown, so the trick is to judge the distance correctly, and adjust your scope for that. And when you hit the target straight in the middle and you judged right, that's just a good feel.

Yes, I enjoy hitting small targets at 400-700 meters away. At that distance every single thing matters: your heart beat, your breathing, the bullet drop, the wind, the angle of the shot, etc. It's a great feeling when everything comes together and you make such a shot :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom