Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll suffer through the rest but that red thingy needs to go, seriosly.

Back in the day you knew when you were getting hit by simply SEEING you were getting hit, your HP was going down etc and noone needed a red flash all over the goddamn screen. And that was back in 640x480 days. Now you play in 1080p and higher resolutions, seeing everything sharp & clean on your monitor and you need the screen flashing red to recognize being hit? Really?

Should be soon. @MilezZ is busy with PAX this week so that postponed things a little bit.

But the wait will be worth it, I promise. :)
Should be soon.
Should be soon.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=989969&page=5 . Posted by NeoGAF user Creamium , thread «The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common», (03-02-2015, 11:39 PM)

I played the game today, there was a preview event in Paris. Some quick impressions of my 3 hour session. I also got to interview the lead environmental artist.

The build was the one press got to play in the end of january. Keep in mind I'm not a Witcher die-hard, never finished the first game, and I'm playing 2 now.

- There were 10 people playing, but only 3 pc's. 1 PS4 and rest XBO I think. I played the XBO version.
- I'm going to be honest here: I thought the XBO version looked rough. When a pc guy was off doing his itv, I messed around with the pc version for a bit and it's night and day. On pc the game is gorgeous, but on XBO I can't even say it looks good, merely looks okay. It goes without saying, but I would definitely get this on pc. Keep in mind that it's an old(er) build, but still. There was a lot of pop-in in the world, like drowners suddenly appearing out of nowhere.
The first section is supposed to end when you kill the griffin, but the XBO version had a bug where it was impossible to do so, so they said 'you basically finished the prologue, let's drop you in another section.' My game also crashed once and there were a bunch of other bugs, but I'm hoping most of these will be gone come launch.
- From the little I've played, it looks like this game may do the open world thing right... I got distracted from the main path several times, and in my itv the dev said they were going for 'organic' gameplay, where they didn't want to speak in terms of 'main' and 'side' quest. He even said that some optional content could influence the main quest in different ways, thought that was pretty interesting.
- Dev said that some optional content won't be shown as a marker, but really depends on whether you discover it or not. He said the team stressed points of interest, like a house burning in the distance, or a tower, ... They wanted to make it enticing to just explore, instead of checking off a bunch of markers on your map.
- The size of the world is... insane. Another journalist told me to zoom out for the larger map, so I did, and thought it was impressive. Then he said 'no, zoom further out, that's just one section'. Then I got to the actual world map. Mother of god. This game is huge. I asked the dev whether they'd fill it with cool stuff to do, but he assured me that the quest variety was a big priority for the team.
- Combat is faster and snappier than 2. Geralt seems more mobile in general. Luckily you also get a horse from the start, that you can summon from anywhere.

Looking forward to continue Witcher 2 now, because the demo definitely made me curious for 3.

also

Forgot to mention I got to ask an extra question. I knew about horses and boats as transport, but wondered if we could fly griffins or other flying creatures you hunt... That's a no apparently. I was hoping for a 'who knows' there :p

and

Oh I forgot to elaborate on the second segment I could play. This is about 15 hours in, and you're in a castle up in snowy mountains. The quest is solving some mystery, spoilered just in case:
there was a massive feast, and bears appeared out of nowhere that you have to fight. You have to investigate where the bears came from, but it turns out these were actually shapeshifters present at the feast. You do this by combing the area with your Witcher sense. It felt very much like scanning the crime scenes in the Arkham games. From the smell of different body parts, Geralt gathered the needed info. You then hunt down the mage responsible, but we had to leave before I could fight him.

Of course, you guys can ask questions about anything else, I'll answer them if I can.

Last edited:
Soooooo....

really no one want to: HYPE IT HYPE IT?

you all make king julian sad and depressed now :p
though he likes to move it instead of hype it ... still you all failed me ... ladys

Soooooo....

really no one want to: HYPE IT HYPE IT?

you all make king julian sad and depressed now :p
though he likes to move it instead of hype it ... still you all failed me ... ladys

I DOO!! I WANT TO HYPE OT HYPE IT!!
Every new gameplay they show the reds eliminate something that was bothering me or add something I hoped for, can't believe my luck!! HYPE TO THE MOOON!!

I'll suffer through the rest but that red thingy needs to go, seriosly.

Back in the day you knew when you were getting hit by simply SEEING you were getting hit, your HP was going down etc and noone needed a red flash all over the goddamn screen. And that was back in 640x480 days. Now you play in 1080p and higher resolutions, seeing everything sharp & clean on your monitor and you need the screen flashing red to recognize being hit? Really?
I agree with you, the effect seems a but exaggerated. They could simply remove it or make it more "elegant" and discrete, for example using a darker red and only at the very borders of the screen

Last edited:
- The size of the world is... insane. Another journalist told me to zoom out for the larger map, so I did, and thought it was impressive. Then he said 'no, zoom further out, that's just one section'. Then I got to the actual world map. Mother of god. This game is huge. I asked the dev whether they'd fill it with cool stuff to do, but he assured me that the quest variety was a big priority for the team.
Ok, so basically I hope whole Novigrad and NML map is bigger than that:

http://i.imgur.com/rijPtak.jpg

Because city of Novigrad which is big, but not as huge as let's say cities in GTA SA. And it takes large chunk of that map.

Last edited:
Okay... since I also said get rid of the old FPS red screen crap when being hit over a year ago lol.., here is my solution idea, just get rid of it.:)
Serious tho... just show Geralt getting hit and then maybe slow him down and change his posture a bit. If Geralts damage is really bad, then on gamepads just program a heartbeat pulse vibration if Geralt is close to death at the same time. Show him with arrows in him or getting knocked back saying fuck, anything other then that bright outdated red screen of death shit haha... Or better yet, just let us turn off Geralts damage effect too in the options if it has to be there.

Ok, so basically I hope whole Novigrad and NML map is bigger than that:

http://i.imgur.com/rijPtak.jpg

Because city of Novigrad which is big, but not as huge as let's say cities in GTA SA. And it takes large chunk of that map.

You're looking at an image of the Crookback Bog map (see, it is named in the lower left corner). So what you are looking at is a map of a bog. Sure, it is a good map, but it is really small in the overall scope of the game. The high lighted path is sort of one mini-quest. And you can see three more points of interest/quests/things just to the north of the darker box.

So, yeah, the real map or the map of the city of Novigrad is much larger. :)

You're looking at an image of the Crookback Bog map (see, it is named in the lower left corner). So what you are looking at is a map of a bog. Sure, it is a good map, but it is really small in the overall scope of the game.
If that is really small, than I am relieved! ;D

And you can see three more points of interest/quests/things just to the north of the darker box.
Yeah, I took that into account, I just hoped that there is even more content above/below what this map shows, now i know, great and thanks! Awesome work guys!

What worries me about the console versions is pop in. Im afraid its gonna be too distracting especially when horseriding. I hope we will get to see some console footage soon since the last time was back at e3 2014, plus no ps4 footage at all so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom