Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
My opinion on the GDC

I think it looks amazing! I think everyone needs to stop complaining so much about the little things, it's important to give constructive criticism but people just rant and are pretty aggressive about some minor things, all the annoying graphic rants and resolution and whatever makes me appreciate the graphics for what it is. I think everything looks awesome the finisher is pretty damn epic. Only real thing are some of the pop ins, and the trees when you walk past them, maybe not a big deal but the purple sign was floating, doesn't really matter to much but it could be put on the ground or make it look like its on the ground on rough terrain. If this game has a populated map, with quests in different places, scattered that would be awesome, enough points of interest random encounters random cool little things, nice places to explore and adventure so we can have a populated world not a blank empty map except for the towns and city. Just my view of things.

Nothing else to add really.

Oh and just remembered. CDP already has my money. :p

Anything that's not maxed out is a lower setting, don't split hairs.
LOL! CDPR said very few people will have powerful enough PCs to run the game on Ultra at launch.

A high-end gaming rig will be able to run the game smoothly on High. A ridiculously expensive rig can run the game on Ultra.

So I find the mentality that anything that below Ultra settings is "lesser" laughable.

De-prioritising Ultra (presumably a while ago) with the benefit of implementing it later when better hardware becomes available is a sound strategy, and one that actually hints to a determination for the game to have a long life.

The red flashes when hurt, I don't feel as strongly about them as some, but nah I don't like it, nor do I think its necessary. Option it off please.

This game is looking great even at these non-ultra settings. If the console version is close I'll be happy. My one concern is that in the January preview people noticed a lot of pop-in for vegetation at a pretty close distance on the consoles. I know some pop-in can't be avoided, but I my hope is they can optimize the streaming enough that it is minimal. I hate it when grass is like a weird spotlight around your character, appearing and disappearing as you walk around.

This game is looking great even at these non-ultra settings. If the console version is close I'll be happy. My one concern is that in the January preview people noticed a lot of pop-in for vegetation at a pretty close distance on the consoles. I know some pop-in can't be avoided, but I my hope is they can optimize the streaming enough that it is minimal. I hate it when grass is like a weird spotlight around your character, appearing and disappearing as you walk around.

I agree with you on that but I'm afraid that's the only way they can maintain a stable frame rate on consoles. Too much visible vegetation and a high level of detail simply cannot co-exist with a stable frame rate. Consoles are already struggling to maintain a 30 FPS.

A ridiculously expensive rig can run the game on Ultra.
I hope my PC is in that category. Planning on playing the game at launch on my FHD TV so I can crank all settings up to max.

Worst case scenario I'll vsync the game to 30fps to enjoy all the candy.

Last edited:
I thought I was seeing things...

Yeah that bothered me too, seems to be the camera if I'm to go according to the finisher.
I think it's meant for clearer visuals for combat when trees and bushes are around.. or at least that would be my explanation :)

I'd personally prefer if the bushes were in your way, tbh.

If you go fighting in bushes, you should have them in your face. So you would reposition to a better fighting spot. Rather than the 'bushes' accommodating you lol.

Bushes be like "oh sorry mate, didn't know I was in your way. I'll be leaving then".

Obviously, I can appreciate why it's like that, but at the same time, It does remove a strategic aspect of combat, imo.

On a side note: I'm hoping we'll have the option to disable the Umbra culling tech, via ini tweaks, or such.

Last edited:
On a side note: I'm hoping we'll have the option to disable the Umbra culling tech, via ini tweaks, or such.
I don't think that's gonna happen, it's not an end-user middleware per se(if that even makes sense)

Nor do I think it's an issue with Umbra,
Call of Duty: Ghosts,Destiny, Killzone Shadow Fall, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Guild Wars 2, RaiderZ, The Secret World, Lord of the Rings Online, Planetside 2, Alan Wake, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Grandia Online, EVE Online, Free Realms and Dragon Age Origins & Dragon Age II.

^All the games that use Umbra, they don't have the same issue.

LOL! CDPR said very few people will have powerful enough PCs to run the game on Ultra at launch.

A high-end gaming rig will be able to run the game smoothly on High. A ridiculously expensive rig can run the game on Ultra.

So I find the mentality that anything that below Ultra settings is "lesser" laughable.

Do you mean Ultra will require multiple GPUs, or simply the most high end ones?

Top Bottom