Witcher 3 Gameplay from GDC and PAX

+
Couple of last things I noticed in the footage. I think it's worth noting, though, that it has been explicitly stated during the panel that the footage was recorded a few weeks ago. That just means some stuff is bound to have been changed.

Anyways.

View attachment 11059

The red-screen effect (when you get hit) from the Nvidia presentation appears to have been present when this was made. It's just a lot more subtle now; it's more translucent compared to the one in the Nvidia stream. That probably means one of two things: a) the effect was for some reason made a lot more obvious or b) the effect's opacity can be adjusted. I'm guessing and hoping it's the latter, since it makes sense with the whole customizable HUD anyway.

Something else that' seems to be new is how potion toxicity works. Before, toxicity is present when you have potions in your slots. In the Polish 35min demo, the player's toxicity was at 0% until the player added potions to his potion slots, at which point toxicity increased to 30%. This was also visible in the HUD.

In the new footage, as seen in the first picture above the player's toxicity is at 0% despite having potions in his slot. But once the player uses a burst of Swallow, things change.

View attachment 11061

Forgive the color of the sky in the background. That's the drugs going to town on Geralt's delicate body.

Toxicity after taking a dose has jumped up immediately. This will probably... no, will definitely change up the way things work during fights/meditation. I have no idea if the effects of the same potion are stack-able, but I guess you can't spam them all now. If you're out of your league, then no amount of pots will save you.

The toxicity also decreases with time as the potion's effects timer goes down. In fact, in this footage it's quite close to zero when the player decides to get high on Thunderbolt. Then it jumps up again.

From this:

View attachment 11063

to this:

View attachment 11062

That's all I've noticed (including the previous post a few pages back) that are really worth mentioning throughout the new footage.

EDIT: Small correction regarding toxicity. In the 35min demo, toxicity only increased when Geralt equipped a mutagen. That means that potions in the 35min demo never raised toxicity, from what I can tell. No idea if mutagens were equipped in recent footage, but if mutagens still work the same way then probably not.

Attachments

• Royal Wyvern.jpg
    Royal Wyvern.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Toxicity 1.png
    Toxicity 1.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Toxicity 3.png
    Toxicity 3.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Toxicity 2.png
    Toxicity 2.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I played Baldurs Gate and Co. in my childhood. They were among the first games I've ever played. So don't tell me that I was a casual once. I actually never really was.
Thank You!.... I needed a good laugh :) lol

and people complaining about grass cliping through other objects...... seriously?? show me 1 game that doesnt have that.... just 1

I love the PAX video but I'd like to point out 3 things that should be refined before release if there is time.

1. As someone already mentioned, cloth should not intersect with Roach.

2. In the video, Geralt pulls a burning torch out of (his arse?) thin air. It would be a wasted opportunity if he didn't use his igni sign to light it. Plus, it sits in his inventory so it would be nice if it was also visible on his belt while not in use.

3. There is no way that wyvern would ever be able to fly with those wings. Those are too small to lift a creature of its size. It just doesn't look believable. Also noticed the trophy head uses a different model but I don't mind that too much.

View attachment 11080

Yeah, I know it's pretty late in development and I don't expect any of these to change but one awesome RED might just decide to show up on work early so it doesn't hurt putting this out here. :)

Edit: Sorry to bother you @Marcin Momot but could you please forward this to the right people so they can see if anything can be done about any of these issues.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I think people are overreacting as usual, over bloody grass and some other "not-so-important" things in my opinion.
As i said a few times already in various threads, yes some things could still do with some improvements but the overall look and feel of the game has improved a lot and that is what matters to me.
I mean, look at how Geralt moves and runs, its just fantastic compared to older builds.
The combat animations in this video are really good, very smooth and with good blending between them.
Look at the shadows trees and bushes cast on the wooden huts as Geralt reaches the village on this video.
Look at the lightshafts between the trees in the Nvidia's shield video.

I'll give it to you that the grass seems a bit off compared to the VGX trailer. Bushes and trees look great but grass seems like it doesn't cast shadows so it looks a bit too bright/bland sometimes.
Also there are some textures that could use some improvement, like the cliff where the Wyvern appears.

In general though, it seems like it's becoming a game i'm gonna love playing. This is based on the overall look of the game as i said above and not on specific aspects that may or may not change till the game is released.

As for the downgrade talks and sorry for bringing this up again, it's just ridiculous to say that there is nowhere to talk about it. Every single thread in this forum kind of ends up talking about the graphics being dumbed down and about downgrades.
I have been a part of these forums for a very long time and i always observe almost every post. Reading the comments of people, for over 300 pages, about CDPR cheating their customers and false advertising made my hair rise every time. Over 300 pages and not to mention dozens of other threads that get hijacked for the same purpose.
Even though there have been extensive gameplay videos showing how the game looks like and how it plays, so people can make a clear decision on if they like what they see or not.
I guess, as always, people will focus and see, just exactly what they want to see and forget everything else...

Visuals looks great, one thing that puzzles me is the animation how Geralts takes torch, and when he goes out of the cave the torch vanish..

And why would witcher need a torch anyway ?

Graphics, enviroment, characters, atmosphere, lighting, world and even the combat(which i was always skeptical) seems to be beyond amazing. This game seems to have every bit of potential to dethrone Planescape Torment as my favourite RPG of all time. However some constructive criticisism is always appreciated i assume.

1) The quest marker was very much like Skyrim. I do not like this, and not because "fuck casuals", but rather because on skyrim after a while i ended up following the marker blindly on a straight line, without paying attention to the enviroment, or exploring. I beleive this, while exploring a huge open world might be a bit tedious, will result in a sub par experience overall. I still, after all these years have only good things to say about morrowind, and how it encouraged exploration,even with some bits of frustration here and there.

2) The torch. Damn it, really? A TORCH? In the books it is clear that Geralt can see in th dark as well as in full daylight. Also can you imagine this fully experienced monster slayer entering an unexplored cave WITH A TORCH? I mean what could betray more his existence in there? Very lore breaking in my mind.

3) Hmm i guess Geralt trash talking the wyvern bothered me abit. Nothing serious, but i still remember heavily disliking Geralt's dialogues in the first game. He usually talked like a common thug, while on the second game his dialogues moved more towards how he is presented in the books. Cynical, humourous, highly ironic, and good hearted, even though grumpy at times. I would love if the third game follows(and improves upon) the example set on TW2.

But again this looks fantastic.

Sometimes I have doubt if these scenes can be recreated in the final game after all these downgrade talks :-[
I don't know whether anyone else noticed this, but that top gif looks like it's the same the village Geralt visits in the latest gameplay video. You can tell from the windmill. It even has the same blue boat (at least I think it's a boat) leaning up against it at the base.

So if people want to talk downgrade in a calm, civil manner they now have a 1:1 comparison to use a reference point.

Last edited:
I don't know whether anyone else noticed this, but that top gif looks like it's the same the village Geralt visits in the latest gameplay video. You can tell from the windmill. It even has the same blue boat (at least I think it's a boat) leaning up against it at the base.

So if people want to talk downgrade in a calm, civil manner they now have a 1:1 comparison to use a reference point.

This is totally different village.

Let me tell you about a little game called WildStar. WIldStar is an MMORPG that targeted the 10% of players who want old-school raid content. Turns out that didn't work to well because only 10% of MMORPG players want that style of content. Right now WS has around 80,000 subscribers, which isn't very good for an MMORPG.

I don't think casuals do research into the nuances of gameplay or its difficulty level before investing in a game. They buy based off of marketing. You can sell any kind of gameplay to the masses if you market it right, they don't know any different. I don't think there are casual players out there going "no waypoints? No x-ray vision mode? This is outrageous, I'm not buying it".

I guess CDPR has to come out with an ultra version of the gameplay demo in order to calm the crowd. With them saying they're hiding the ultra gameplay for people to discover after the game is released sounds a bit fishy don't you guys think? Because I think surely the difference between ultra and high will not be much apart from some volumetric fog and dynamic fur and wave from NVIDIA gameworks. Ultra is not some kind of super magic that can transform the game to look extremely different

Just my two cents

I noticed it says silver sword and steel WEAPON so does that mean that it could be possible to use something other than a steel sword!?!?!

Yep. That's highly likely. In TW2 you could use almost anything as a weapon, even a shovel. I'll bet it'll be the same in TW3.

I guess CDPR has to come out with an ultra version of the gameplay demo in order to calm the crowd.

No they don't, its apparent to many that some people will find something to complain about no matter, you've met the internet ?

With them saying they're hiding the ultra gameplay for people to discover after the game is released sounds a bit fishy don't you guys think?

Please quote where they used the word "hiding", that does carry pejorative connotations and if its your word rather than theirs, then this is pure FUD. What I recall them saying was they de-prioritised development of Ultra settings until after release to free up some development time and because Ultra will be so demanding that too few players would be able to benefit from it on release to make time spent now on it truly worthwhile. Which brings me to your last point...

Because I think surely the difference between ultra and high will not be much apart from some volumetric fog and dynamic fur and wave from NVIDIA gameworks. Ultra is not some kind of super magic that can transform the game to look extremely different

You clearly haven't played TW2, it's Ultra mode with Ubersampling makes outstanding differences that can still make top computers today groan under the effort.

I guess CDPR has to come out with an ultra version of the gameplay demo in order to calm the crowd. With them saying they're hiding the ultra gameplay for people to discover after the game is released sounds a bit fishy don't you guys think? Because I think surely the difference between ultra and high will not be much apart from some volumetric fog and dynamic fur and wave from NVIDIA gameworks. Ultra is not some kind of super magic that can transform the game to look extremely different

Just my two cents
There are only two possible reasons why CDPR won't show ultra yet:

-They are not allowed to by MS, in order to not "mislead" the console crowd
-The ultra setting doesn't really look all that better; the initial reveal fidelity never made it into the full game.

...I'm really hoping it's the first option.

There are only two possible reasons why CDPR won't show ultra yet:

-They are not allowed to by MS, in order to not "mislead" the console crowd
-The ultra setting doesn't really look all that better; the initial reveal fidelity never made it into the full game.

...I'm really hoping it's the first option.

third:

The vast majority of PC gamer cannot build a PC with the recommended specs but will settle for getting the minimum requirements. Remember when they were made public most users (no comments) made it clear that it would be expensive for them to play TW3.

This is the crowd who CDPR has to convince. Why buy a game if I can not enjoy its minimum?

Just watched the PAX video. Liked it overall, but I'm concerned a bit about Yrden. I fear it could become too overpowered if enemies slow down in the circle.

Also... wtf is with torches? Geralt is a witcher, he doesn't need any torch, he can see in the dark.

Top Bottom