Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been confirmed by a developer that it was PC at high settings.

So those low res textures are set to high.

I wonder how they will look at low settings.

"It's been confirmed by a developer that it was PC at high settings."

No it has been said that Damien Think it is PC high setting. Not the same thing. And if it is the high it still doesn't mean that it isn't console setting (most of people underestimate them too much). It probably is high because it looks exactly like the hands on video which is confirmed High setting (and because damien think it is). In any case there's still very high and ultra to come. If people think it will not change much well I guess they are underestimate CDPR. Because I have eyes and despite the fact that the GDC video is compressed as hell it is astonishing and still not Ultra. I guess we ll see who's right in may (people who claim downgrade or the ones who don't) but I am done on this forum till then. Or at least on this kind of topic. Too much pessimistic thing although CDPR is the first studio in ten years which have gave us every reasons not to doubt them. Or at least to give them the chance they deserve.

Last edited:
Ultra will do, according di Damien Monnier.
Ubersampling will DEFINITELY do, according to GPUs XDDDD

Only in like 3-5 years will we see the game in it's full glory :p
If not, they should make Witcher 3 HD in the future when the tech allows their ambition to come true :p

So those low res textures are set to high.

I wonder how they will look at low settings.

OWG=texture quality will suffer.Even in linear games like Crysis 3,Metro,Ryse,The Order etc. you can find "low res" textures. So if there is an Ultra Texture quality setting you will still be able to find bad textures .

I think once people activate the sharpening filter in REDengine3 back again they will stop whining about texture detail and crispness, its the one objective and confirmed difference between all the footage around, and I know it makes a big difference in TW2, where if you deactivate it, it looks clearly worse than TW3 PAX footage. It was taken out because the whole forum complained about it in the first place, so you gotta learn both what you gain and what you lose from that.

Other than that, TW2 had some "problems" with foliage and grass looking too colorful and out of place, as well as its quality and draw distance, and TW3's recent footage looks more in line with that than with Debut and VGX trailers for whatever reason.

There's also something interesting I haven't mentioned yet, in one presentation about tech of TW3 with slides (dont remember), there was one where they showed how they wanted to grass to be, and how they did it, compared to what it was before, and I remember the "before" pic had more and darker shadows and I actually liked that much more than what they considered the improvement. I suspect TW3's "changed" looks have to do A LOT with art direction and subjective quality, much more than actual downgrades or lack of detail.

In case anyone wants to make assumptions to insult me or be against me, my stance is that I liked how some things looked before SOD, and others in SOD and/or after, so a mixed bag, and in my opinion we dont have enough comparable footage and we havent seen Ultra yet to be more sure of a downgrade than of a simple art change. So both can be true for what I think.

I think once people activate the sharpening filter in REDengine3 back again they will stop whining about texture detail and crispness, its the one objective and confirmed difference between all the footage around, and I know it makes a big difference in TW2, where if you deactivate it, it looks clearly worse than TW3 PAX footage. It was taken out because the whole forum complained about it in the first place, so you gotta learn both what you gain and what you lose from that.

Very true. And it's easy and calculatory cheap to sharpen just the textures - find edges, invert edge mask, sharpen - you get sharper textures without sharpening the aliased edges. Should be doable with SweetFX.

---------- Updated at 07:21 PM ----------

You mentioned linear games, so I posted few screenshots coming from a linear game.
Now you said I should post some screenshots from open world games.

In the first pic (indoors) the lighting looks fake on some of the props. This looks much more out of place and distracting than some blurrier texture here and there.

Last edited:
1. The game-play footage does not look quite as good as the trailers thanks to some low resolution textures.
2. The game still looks absolutely gorgeous.
3. This is an interactive open world game, with a narrative focus, strong characters, solid looking game-play mechanics, an awesome sound track, AND great looking graphics.
4. Here is my $59.99, may I please have a copy of the game now? I promise I won't tell anyone what happens.

Damn that second picture looks great, the foliage and ground covered with leaves looks awesome. Do we really think TW3 will be less than what is shown in that second picture? No way in hell right?

I do believe there is a downgrade from all the videos we have seen recently compared to the stuff they showed in the first few videos its pretty obvious honestly. But we haven't seen very high (hopefully that is a setting) and ultra on PC yet. So we don't know how they are going to look, but I don't think it will look as good as the SOD trailer but maybe close?

It's not just the textures that look worse...sigh I wish people bothered looking at other details besides that.

So we don't know how they are going to look, but I don't think it will look as good as the SOD trailer but maybe close?

Better to air concerns now then get a turd at launch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom