Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The devs should just decisively and directly address this issue by now, one way or the other. It's not just this thread, it's all over the Internet. If there is downgrade just admit it. Are they just going to wait to hear it from the reviews?

Most likely they won't address the issue until after the game is released, it will still be a great looking game just not the VGX and SOD great.

The devs should just decisively and directly address this issue by now, one way or the other. It's not just this thread, it's all over the Internet. If there is downgrade just admit it. Are they just going to wait to hear it from the reviews?

Reviewers are typically lenient on graphics, but in this case they may be taken to task since their initial reveal ( S.O.D trailer) has had far greater impact than anything since. It basically blew everyone away, and the proceeding footage has failed to do that. I've reviewed the thread, and now I get skeptical again, so the best approach is to temper my expectations. The majority of gameplay just doesn't look as good as that trailer and so be it. Speculating why is pointless. If the latest gameplay is PC on high, then that's how the game will look on my PC, because I sure as hell won't have the hardware for ultra.

The only problem with that is the game already looks really good. I personally can't think of a better looking open world game out at the moment. The only thing that comes close is other titles coming out this year like Batman, and maybe metal gear solid 5. Unless we are talking a jarring difference like Dark souls 2 or Alien Colonial Marines, nobodies going to care.

Last edited:
Has it ever occurred to anyone that the developers may be holding back in the previews, just so players will be surprised by the final graphics, when the game actually comes out? That would about fit their predilection for secrets.

LOL Seriously.

Yes they are absolutely holding back then graphics of their initial trailers look better then their later ones.

The only problem with that is the game already looks really good. I personally can't think of a better looking open world game out at the moment. The only thing that comes close is other titles coming out this year like Batman, and maybe metal gear solid 5. Unless we are talking a jarring difference like Dark souls 2 or Alien Colonial Marines, nobodies going to care.

I think this is why we wont hear any word about "downgrade" in Reviews.
Because difference Trailers vs Release or not... There is still not Open World game as stunning even in recent Gameplay.
DA:I is close at times but lacks physics and dynamic world simulation. modded Skyrim doesnt count..because "modded". AC:U would be also very pretty but its a really different Setting and Paris is quite different from a complete big world.

Most Reviewers will still be salivating over the still!!! very beatiful Game...

Watch Dogs for example had some reviewers mention the Downgrade because it had a Game it could directly be compared to and it really was in doubt wich was prettier. GTA5.. even on Last Gen at that time was at times prettier or equal to WD.. wich made the "downgrade" in WD really stand out.

TW3 has no real peer other than DA:I as recently released "open world" RPG. and In overall Graphical fedility,physics etc TW3 leaves DA:I in the Dust

Last edited:
I think this is why we wont hear any word about "downgrade" in Reviews.
Because difference Trailers vs Release or not... There is still not Open World game as stunning even in recent Gameplay.
DA:I is close at times but lacks physics and dynamic world simulation. modded Skyrim doesnt count..because "modded". AC:U would be also very pretty but its a really different Setting and Paris is quite different from a complete big world.

Most Reviewers will still be salivating over the still!!! very beatiful Game...

Watch Dogs for example had some reviewers mention the Downgrade because it had a Game it could directly be compared to and it really was in doubt wich was prettier. GTA5.. even on Last Gen at that time was at times prettier or equal to WD.. wich made the "downgrade" in WD really stand out.

TW3 has no real peer other than DA:I as recently released "open world" RPG. and In overall Graphical fedility,physics etc TW3 leaves DA:I in the Dust

I remember seeing the modded versions of skyrim which added entire new aspects to the games engine creating unbelievable visual results. Irregardless if Witcher 3 lives up to the early trailers or not; modders will have it eventually exceed it.

Last edited:
I remember seeing the modded versions of skyrim which added entire new aspects to the games engine creating unbelievable visual results. Irregardless if Witcher 3 lives up to the early trailers or not; modders will see to it that it exceeds it eventually.

One more reason to hope for a real usefull modding Tool release

Theoretically there is absolutly a way. You would have to split PC development and Console Development at the point where you need to scale down for consoles.The Problem here after this point you basically would to do everything you do after that step TWICE because you have 2 different versions now.
Every little change you make after splitting PC and Console you need to do on both versions or you end up with pretty different games.

and that would lead CDPR into bankruptcy very fast.
So yeah in theory it could work but no developer will ever immensly INCREASE their workload on purpose... that would be economic suicide.

Crytek made Crysis 3 at it highest settings for pc. They literally use all the power house they have to make a standar graphic game for years . Then they downgrade for consoles . I dont see this guys in bankrupt .

Witcher 3 was mean to be play in Pc : Not some port equal to consoles with Higher resolution - 60fps - Nvidia hairworks- ubersampling- clothing - hboa+ . That is not what they promised. Once you rises the hype and make a choise to show people this is a Pc company you have to be responsible of your act.

Now suddenly witcher 3 is the best looking game on consoles and that is all matter. Hell no we are many user who support this company for years. We want the best experience possible on pc .

Last edited:
I hate to join in, but your post made a smile a little bit @joacko_1990 :) As Crytek did have to sell some of their branches for financial reasons. Mind you, this is a company with a great graphics engine (I mean Crytek), and they sold this engine to many different companies; but they are still in a bad situation financially.

Now that I wrote that, I can go back to quietly lurking :) Have fun everyone!

Edit: Oh, I must point out, this is probably out of context and Crytek might not have necessarily had financial problems because of their extensive work on CryEngine, but I just saw the irony and wanted to point out, that's it :)

Last edited:
Crytek made Crysis 3 at it highest settings por pc. They literally use all the power house they have to make a standar graphic game for years . Then they downgrade for consoles . I dont see this guys in bankrupt .

Witcher 3 was mean to be play in Pc : Not some port equal to consoles with Higher resolution - 60fps - Nvidia hairworks- ubersampling- clothing - hboa+ . That is not what they promised. Once you rises the hype and make a choise to show people this is a Pc company you have to be responsible of your act.

Now suddenly witcher 3 is the best looking game on consoles and that is all matter. Hell no we are many user who support this company for years. We want the best experience possible on pc .

Well Crytek is with EA so budget isnt really a huge problem.
CDPR has no huge Publisher. Thats quite the difference here.

Look, i am a PC Gamer as well.. and of course i would wish for a PC only TW3 if it was my way.
But i do realise that most Video Game sales are on consoles. like it or not. PC sales make up around 20%.

sadly for us PC Gamers... consoles rule the video game world. i dont like it... but since i cant change it.. i live with it^^

---------- Updated at 01:43 AM ----------

I hate to join in, but your post made a smile a little bit @joacko_1990 :) As Crytek did have to sell some of their branches for financial reasons. Mind you, this is a company with a great graphics engine (I mean Crytek), and they sold this engine to many different companies; but they are still in a bad situation financially.

Now that I wrote that, I can go back to quietly lurking :) Have fun everyone!

good point i missed that! also Crysis 1-3 was developed with EA as Publisher. i guess money was no issue back then.

Crytek is a German company and has grown a pretty bad rep here.. not only for financial trouble but for really treating employees really horrible..

well back to topic^^

Has it ever occurred to anyone that the developers may be holding back in the previews, just so players will be surprised by the final graphics, when the game actually comes out? That would about fit their predilection for secrets.

Then that'd be a stupid move. It'd be much smarter to preview the ultra graphics and let people know what they're paying for than making doubtful promises

Then that'd be a stupid move. It'd be much smarter to preview the ultra graphics and let people know what they're paying for than making doubtful promises

I suspect the truth is more prosaic: that the real reason for not previewing the Ultra graphics is they're not finished with it. They're still dealing (or should be) with issues like the grass not clipping correctly.

Crytek made Crysis 3 at it highest settings por pc. They literally use all the power house they have to make a standar graphic game for years . Then they downgrade for consoles . I dont see this guys in bankrupt .

If this was 2005, I could agree with you. Back then console development was a radically different environment and porting from one to the other was a pretty significant undertaking. However, modern day consoles are practically just mid-low range PCs and porting across the platforms is as easy as its ever been. The tools developers have are also much more effective and efficient at scaling because they were built ground up for that purpose. The console versions shouldn't be holding the game back anymore than a "low spec" PC.

I suspect the truth is more prosaic: that the real reason for not previewing the Ultra graphics is they're not finished with it. They're still dealing (or should be) with issues like the grass not clipping correctly.

I wish we could get a red post confirming exactly this, because then the community could unite behind identifying specific issues, sometimes in specific areas (such as with the flat brick wall that was corrected nearly in realtime from the latest footage). This would allow people to aggregate data and actually begin productively helping CDPR with progressing on optimization problems.

As with all QA endeavors, the quality of QA work is limited to the number/sharpness of the eyes on the content, and the knowledge and experience of those charged with making fixes to identified irregularities/inconsistencies. In both cases, more = better, and there is nothing like having the whole community helping you out.

Last edited:

I've heard from a a few different sources a couple of things. One was that, like you said, they were still optimizing Ultra. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.
However at GDC, the presenter said that they just wanted to "wow" the players with Ultra on release.

I've heard from a a few different sources a couple of things. One was that, like you said, they were still optimizing Ultra. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.
However at GDC, the presenter said that they just wanted to "wow" the players with Ultra on release.

Ultra won't make a big difference, they don't want the difference to be that big of a gap between consoles and pc's. Maybe with mods it can look almost as good as the SOD trailer. Time will tell......

I suspect it was Microsoft asking them to not showing off better material than Xbox One could possibly render... :p

I doubt it. I'm sure MS would be more than happy to show off an Ultra spec PC version of the game with their controller icons all over the place. Perception matters more than reality when it comes to marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom