Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because "downgrade is not the right word, the right one is "optimization". It's possible that CDPR had to tone down few things here and there is order to achieve stable fps.
BUT
You guys here are exaggerating, it's nonsense to compare screenshots with different locations, time of day and camera angles and call it "obvious downgrade".
Fact is that we haven't seen gameplay on Ultra settings, who knows maybe screenshots too ?
Maybe CDPR is not showing it on purpose (this was kinda confirmed by Damien at GDC) so they don't upset console gamers when game comes out and it doesn't look so good as gameplay they shown, so kids won't start screaming "false advertising" and "give me refund" kind of thing.

That's the very definition of downgrade.

Yep, downgrading is pretty much toning down. Some people associate the word downgrade with something more serious like Dark Souls 2 or Watch_Dogs, but it can also be used if you look at games like Far Cry 3 which had a very minor visual downgrade.

Also, people have been complaining for awhile about the visual quality of The Witcher 3. I'd say the first time I saw someone mention a downgrade was about 6 months ago or so. The idea that not showing Ultra footage so console players wouldn't be upset is a little ridiculous. I think most console gamers are informed of the hardware differences in a gaming PC and a Xbox One or PS4 and understand that a PC offers higher quality visuals at the cost of a higher price.

Yep, downgrading is pretty much toning down. Some people associate the word downgrade with something more serious like Dark Souls 2 or Watch_Dogs, but it can also be used if you look at games like Far Cry 3 which had a very minor visual downgrade.

The same definition can be applied to Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs. They did tone down things because they couldn't get stable performance....on consoles.

The idea that not showing Ultra footage so console players wouldn't be upset is a little ridiculous

Especially so when devs like Bioware, DICE and ACTIVISION all showed PC footage on max settings when their marketing is directed towards console players.

Last edited:
After all these pages, i think Reds are preparing a 50 GB HD ultra definion package. Min specs Core i7-5960X, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, Directx 12.4 TITAN X...

You speaking, just like CDPR PR Marketing team employee :D Who ever said. that optimization - means cutting down the graphics?
And what about Umbra technology?
I'm not and graphics expert, I was just giving my explanation to "Why not show Ultra settings if you develop game on PC&Consoles".
I always compare only daytime city pictures. How exactly locations related with Lightning and Ambient Occlusion?
Because every location have different amount of light sources,angles and intensity. Besides there are not so many "before downgrade" city shots to compare to.

The same definition can be applied to Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs. They did tone down things because they couldn't get stable performance....on consoles.

Especially so when devs like Bioware, DICE and ACTIVISION all showed PC footage on max settings when their marketing is directed towards console players.

Yeah that actually bothers me the most. Companies like these like to use PC to show off their games at their best. Hell, I think there was even some sort of scandal a year or two ago where some games were advertised as being played on consoles at some gameshow when they were actually runing on PC hardware under their booths.

So do you have a better explanation why we haven't seen Ultra gameplay yet ?

Optimization is my best guess, but then there's also the statement that guy made at GDC about wanting to surprise players.
So I honestly don't know. It's really confusing because they haven't made it clear why they aren't showing Ultra.

This was originally posted by misho8723 in interviews and articles.

Most relevant to this discussion includes the following:

I really can’t stress enough just now gorgeous the game looks. The game was running on a beefy machine provided by Nvidia for this demo specifically and running at a resolution of 2560×1440. Vistas go on for miles and the facial animations are the best I’ve seen in a long, long while. They even managed to get the eyes to look right, which is where other games with fantastic character animation and motion capture tend to go wrong and plummet smack dab into the uncanny valley, never to be seen again. Social Media tends to go on and on about graphics and what it means to be “next gen”, but I’ve never really gotten into the discussion. This was the first time I have ever actively thought about the jump in technology. This is what I have unknowingly hoped that a “next gen” game would look like in 2015. Even the grotesqueness of its violence manages to be beautiful, and that’s not something I ever thought I’d say.

I will agree with all the posters who say that the game play footage we have seen does not look as good the earliest trailers and screenshots. But that hands on review should give some hope to those who are worried. If you have the hardware to make it look awesome, it will look awesome.

I will agree with all the posters who say that the game play footage we have seen does not look as good the earliest trailers and screenshots. But that hands on review should give some hope to those who are worried. If you have the hardware to make it look awesome, it will look awesome.

What settings was the demo set to? Does anyone know?

Hm I just came across this article that may have been posted previously and has some interesting info

https://translate.google.com/transl....pl/S018.asp?ID=1132&STR=3&edit-text=&act=url

Using google translate it gives me this information:
View attachment 11187

It confirms what many of us were speculating. How much of it is true for those native to the language?

I translated the whole interview some time ago:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Adam-Badowski-translation?highlight=badowski

:)

I need to see it with displayed in a graphics showcase video or wait until the release date, this could all be a bunch of BS.

From reading the article it's just confirms what I have been saying/thinking all this time. Console version vs pc version will only have small differences in terms of Gfx.

All new pc games at ultra settings look nearly identical to the console counterparts. It's just going to be that way for awhile until the end of this console cycle then pc games will start to pull away with Gfx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom