Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evil.

You just had to ruin Australia for me. Why couldn't Australia still be the Mythical Land of kangaroo's and eternal summer and beautiful beaches and really good music sometimes.

Why is Australia all of a sudden, Hell's corporate branch on Earth?

It's a big country - the Australia you described also exists. Except for the kangaroos, of course. That was just something they made up for the tourists.

Holy shit
I thought it's normally not higher than 45. Sleeping while it's 30 degrees outside? Damn.. we have that here too, but only in summer, and that's a struggle already lol. And I don't even have an air-con. But hey at least you can go down to the beach around christmas time haha.

tbh i've only felt 50 degrees once or twice, but it does get to 48 - 49 for at least a week during summer. and i don't have aircon either D: timing your cold shower, sleeping with a fan on etc. also makes it easier to get up in the morning. but yeah, to know if the weather is truly improving here it's best to check what the night time temp will be. then you will know to what extent your suffering will be hahah, just saying 'it's going to be 42 C tomorrow' doesn't mean much because sometimes it is 42 and i dont even notice.

and i do not recommend going to the beach at christmas time; 1) tourists 2) it's 45 degrees, go lie on the bathroom floor. (or find an airconditioned place that's open and find a reason to stay there)

It's a big country - the Australia you described also exists. Except for the kangaroos, of course. That was just something they made up for the tourists.

yeah this is perth. in regards that eternal summer... it's only 30 - 48 degrees for about 3 months of the year (not necessarily during summer), with idk... 'english summer' for the rest of the year with an annual storm and a week or two of rain (not necessarily during winter) so usually 15 - 25 degrees with 30 degree periods for the rest of the year.

the other cities are much cooler during summer and more humid all year round etc. etc. (obviously not talking the actual bush/desert/remote communities. compare that to a place like Russia or Canada in it's sparseness of humans living there.)

Why couldn't Australia still be the Mythical Land of kangaroo's and eternal summer and beautiful beaches and really good music sometimes.

and yeah we have pretty good music, thank goodness for triple j. but on the other hand apparently we're the biggest pirates of TV in the world because our tv is patently terrible, bar some stuff by the ABC which is few and far between. the beaches near me suck, but i've been to good ones down south near a place called albany. on that note- albany is amazing, it's exactly what you're talking about-- beaches, eternal summer (with cooler spells throughout the year), large music festivals..., if you come to this side of australia, skip perth and go to albany, you will not be disappointed.

The hell is this Garrison chap? Looks like a regular whoreson to me.

And don't worry about Bloth. He'll regenerate soon enough and grow back his head.

Garrison is a kafkian creature, he is not what he seems, but nobody believe him.

About Bloth, you're right. Regeneration from one unique cellule is the usual in England

I went to Brisbane for about five days a few years ago on a pseudo-business trip (aka "Perk"). I have to admit, I loved the climate there, but that was maybe just because it was better than Singapore (always hot and sticky). I'd been to Perth and Sydney a few years earlier, Perth was definitely a bit too hot for my liking. I think it was in February, from memory.

And yeah we have pretty good music, thank goodness for triple j. but on the other hand apparently we're the biggest pirates of TV in the world because our tv is patently terrible, bar some stuff by the ABC which is few and far between. the beaches near me suck, but i've been to good ones down south near a place called albany. on that note- albany is amazing, it's exactly what you're talking about-- beaches, eternal summer (with cooler spells throughout the year), large music festivals..., if you come to this side of australia, skip perth and go to albany, you will not be disappointed.

Now that was my view before all that. Also yeah. Triple J. :cheers2:

About TV, who cares. :p

We Greeks have very little to take in, or offer in terms of artistic value. Our music is shit (with really very few exceptions). TV or movie production is practically non-existent, except for the copies of foreign cheap soap operas. Theatrical plays, though plenty, are mostly copied or "reworked". I could't tell you anything about painting or poetry. I have not heard a word, other than the "apparently" hopeless student's clubs. Not many and with very few members.

If any artist somehow manages to remain untouched by all the shit, they either have to leave, because nobody knows them and they can't make any money, or because they can't take it anymore.

I guess there is really no place for art, in a country that has always been poor, sometimes living under the illusion of being rich and always having the dream of becoming rich.

I have a friend, he is a singer songwriter, and he moved to Southern England. He said, if somehow 3 blocks of the city he used to live in Greece,( which is Thessaloniki, the city I live in) would magically show up where he lives, he would instantly leave. And he loves it there.

Anyway, I'm just ranting about wanting to flee my country, and you ALMOST RUINED ONE OF MY POSSIBLE FUTURES.

Last edited:
Now that was my view before all that. Also yeah. Triple J.

About TV, who cares. :p

We Greeks have very little to take in, or offer in terms of artistic value. Our music is shit (with really very few exceptions). TV or movie production is practically non-existent. Theatrical plays, though plenty, are mostly stolen or "reworked".

If any artist somehow manages to remain untouched by all the shit, they either have to leave, because nobody knows them and they can't make any money, or because they can't take it anymore.

I guess there is really no place for art, in a country that has always been poor, sometimes living under the illusion of being rich and always having the dream of becoming rich.

I have a friend, he is a singer songwriter, and he moved to Southern England. He said, if somehow 3 blocks of the city he used to live in Greece,( which is Thessaloniki, the city I live in) would magically show up where he lives, he would instantly leave. And he loves it there.

Anyway, I'm just ranting about wanting to flee my country, and you ALMOST RUINED ONE OF MY POSSIBLE FUTURES.

specifically my city, perth is very uncultured. we have our music, but that's about it. in fact! if anyone famous is coming to australia for a convention or a music festival, it's normal for them to cancel any plans to come to perth because 1) we're so far away 2) there aren't many of us and this place isn't as interesting as the other cities. so we miss out on a lot of cool stuff. (on the plus side, if there was any kind of invasion of australia, i doubt anyone would make any move toward perth...so we are also the safest place on earth in that regard.)

you say that Greece is so poor and therefore has little (modern) culture, but i think here in perth we are so rich with the recent mining boom that it all goes to people we call 'cashed up bogans' (google anything on youtube about them, it's usually comedy gold) and they aren't exactly artistic or cultured or interested in anything but going to the mines, getting drunk and being incredibly racist.

(on the topic of perth music specifically, i can recommend Boom! Bap! Pow!, i recently danced with the lead singer on stage and i'm kinda obsessed with that band rght now ahahah)

I went to Brisbane for about five days a few years ago on a pseudo-business trip (aka "Perk"). I have to admit, I loved the climate there, but that was maybe just because it was better than Singapore (always hot and sticky). I'd been to Perth and Sydney a few years earlier, Perth was definitely a bit too hot for my liking. I think it was in February, from memory.

yeah we're infamously hot and dry and February is traditionally the hottest, though this summer it was probably december that was the worst.

i've never been to brisbance but i went to singapore last year and crikey: "so that's what 90% humidity feels like". i noticed when my father and i accidentally caught the circle route around the main island that there are loads of building projects happening? like a lot of apartment blocks just shooting up. idk it was weird, not sure why i brought that up. interesting place, singapore.

@wichat.571 skippy is a girl ahahaha!

@StaGiors I believe you should try to fix and better your country instead of leaving it, if it is just for that sake. But I rather not go deeper into that discussion, otherwise I wil get shut down anyway, because it would be a political discussion.

tbh i've only felt 50 degrees once or twice, but it does get to 48 - 49 for at least a week during summer. and i don't have aircon either D: timing your cold shower, sleeping with a fan on etc. also makes it easier to get up in the morning. but yeah, to know if the weather is truly improving here it's best to check what the night time temp will be. then you will know to what extent your suffering will be hahah, just saying 'it's going to be 42 C tomorrow' doesn't mean much because sometimes it is 42 and i dont even notice.

and i do not recommend going to the beach at christmas time; 1) tourists 2) it's 45 degrees, go lie on the bathroom floor. (or find an airconditioned place that's open and find a reason to stay there)

I thought every house must have an air-con there, coz of that heat. Aye, timing cold shower is the thing, or multiple cold showers for that matter haha.

Yeah tourists. Actually I was thinking about moving to Australia one day, since I'm studying tourism now in school, and that's a big thing there I guess. So who knows, if I'll be rich or can afford to go there, I might. Lying on the bathroom floor is a nice way to spend the time, not to mention it's air-conditioned hah

@StaGiors I believe you should try to fix and better your country instead of leaving it, if it is just for that sake. But I rather not go deeper into that discussion, otherwise I wil get shut down anyway, because it would be a political discussion.

It can be non political, if we direct it that way. Sure the notion is really noble, but when it really comes down to it, you can not sacrifice your own time and happiness to fight a seemingly lost cause. Some people do, and I admire them for it. But it's not me. It would've been me years ago, when I was a lot less cynical about the people in my country but I have changed a lot since then.

Greece has sake? I love sake!

And while being on-topic. If I get the smallest chance of leaving this shithole I will take it.

I think the trick for making such a decision, is to understand that starting over in a new place is really difficult. But it is more difficult for me to mentally adjust in my own country, where I possibly have it easy, from an economic stand point most importantly. Dad works his ass off and pays my bills. Which bothers me immensely to even admit it.

I think I've reached to that conclusion not so long ago. The only thing that's left for me now, is to finish University. Should not take more than a couple of years.

I thought every house must have an air-con there, coz of that heat. Aye, timing cold shower is the thing, or multiple cold showers for that matter haha.

Yeah tourists. Actually I was thinking about moving to Australia one day, since I'm studying tourism now in school, and that's a big thing there I guess. So who knows, if I'll be rich or can afford to go there, I might. Lying on the bathroom floor is a nice way to spend the time, not to mention it's air-conditioned hah

my house is an old farm house from 1896 or something and we stuck an old 1970s aircon in the window of one room so we do have *one* room with aircon, but we don't usually use it unless we have guests or a sick person or something.

and tourism isn't that great in perth. they tried a few things to make things interesting (e.g. they built something called the Perth Eye [a very small London Eye] in the hopes it would attract attention but it only earned the name "London's Arsehole" due to us being on the other end of the earth. it's been taken down now. there was also a giant goon bag floating off the coast of Cottesloe but that's gone too) so you're welcome to come here and experiement, but perth is an example of failed tourism. we mostly get our money from the mining boom and meat exports to Japan.

And while being on-topic. If I get the smallest chance of leaving this shithole I will take it.
i want to leave perth too. there's nothing for me here as an artist and everyone here is a bogan.

Last edited:
and tourism isn't that great in perth. they tried a few things to make things interesting (e.g. they built something called the Perth Eye [a very small London Eye] in the hopes it would attract attention but it only earned the name "London's Arsehole" due to us being on the other end of the earth. it's been taken down now. there was also a giant goon bag floating off the coast of Cottesloe but that's gone too) so you're welcome to come here and experiement, but perth is an example of failed tourism. we mostly get our money from the mining boom and meat exports to Japan.

Oh wow, I thought tourism was great in Perth too, thanks for the info though!
"London's Arsehole" lol. Some name that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom