Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

(BBC news)

RIP Sir Pratchett, you were the most amazing being in this universe. :(

I started this year by reading the collection of his non-fiction works, I recommend it to everyone who would like to know a bit more about him and the stuff behind his work.

@volsung That is different. Leaving because you see no future at home, or leaving, because you want to use opportunities elsewhere. After all, we are all international people. :) If you want someone to practice with, you are welcome. Which area are you moving to?

RIP Sir Pratchett, you were the most amazing being in this universe.

I started this year by reading the collection of his non-fiction works, I recommend it to everyone who would like to know a bit more about him and the stuff behind his work.
I'm really sorry.
I've only read one book written together with Neil Gaiman, Good Omens, but I planned to start reading his other works. And I think that a nice quote from that book fits the moment:

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”

Rest in peace Sir Terry Pratchett. Know that you influenced a lot of people and made us happy with your books.

I picked up the books as a teenager, and have read them faithfully over and over again these last 17 years.

You will be missed.

I'm really sorry.
I've only read one book written together with Neil Gaiman, Good Omens, but I planned to start reading his other works. And I think that a nice quote from that book fits the moment:

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”

I can really recommend the Discworld books. My favourites are any book with Captain Vimes and his guards. Regardless which book you pick to read, I've yet to read any author whom can create such narrative twists as Pratchett. Plot and comical wise.

Last edited:
@volsung That is different. Leaving because you see no future at home, or leaving, because you want to use opportunities elsewhere. After all, we are all international people. :) If you want someone to practice with, you are welcome. Which area are you moving to?

Just to be very general, Lower Saxony. Got lots of things to take care of first.

I can really recommend the Discworld books. My favourites are any book with Captain Vimes and his guards. Regardless which book you pick to read, I've yet to read any author whom can create such narrative twists as Pratchett. Plot and comical wise.

And I can only echo these recommendations. The Discworld novels are wonderful - I've read the first twenty and the good thing about it is that I have another twenty to go. :D His understanding of our world and putting it into the context of a fantasy one is beautiful, and sometimes sad, when the realisation hits you.

I've read the first 11 books of Sir Terry during the last few years, and only stopped the series for A Song of Ice and Fire. Never have I read the works of an Author who understood human humour and heart like Pratchett. Not only his stories were hilarious but the synthax of his writing too. It's comforting to know that he was with his loved ones when he passed away.

Terry passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed surrounded by his family on 12th March 2015.

I am sure he would see the irony that the last book I read of him was 'Reaper Man'. Still have about 3 unread Discworld books here and I will finish the series im remembrance of this great human being.

I got an email today from my teacher to say he is cancelling my class tomorrow (that I have to do a presentation in, and have spent the day working on -___-") but the time he is rescheduling it for, is when I have another class. Our university policy is that classes on Wednesday afternoons are not allowed, and yet I have one then anyway, and now my other teacher is trying to make it so I will be spending 4 hours in class on Wednesday afternoon, which is meant to be against university rules. Argh.

"People always got it wrong. It didn't matter where you were running to. The important thing is that it's away." -Rincewind

I paraphrase from memory. Here are some actual, very funny quotes from Pratchett's stuff: http://iheartquotes.com/tags/discworld?page=1

You all should read his stuff. It's funny, insightful, occasionally brilliant and nearly always interesting.

I think his best would be, well, far too many to list here. THe first two are good ground-setters, and what I read when he was just starting to publish, Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Then Sourcery. Because Rincewind, the Librarian, Conina and GREEN FIRE, GREEN FIRE.

Guards, Guards and Men at Arms, because Vimes, Carrot and the Guard.

Reaper Man, my favourite and quite touching Death novel.

And then just...read the rest.

If you haven't, I envy you quite a lot. You're in for hours of laughter, head-shaking bemusement and even some tears.

Enjoy!!!!!

"'It's vital to remember who you really are. It's very important. It isn't a good idea to rely on other people or things to do it for you, you see. They always get it wrong.'
(Sourcery)"

"Windle shook his head sadly. Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
(Reaper Man)"

Sounds like a good nickname... Ah, nevermind.

Yeah the aliteration is kind of catchy, isn't it.

I started reading it and then stopped right at the beginning. Don't know why, but I'm always fell asleep everytime I start reading the prologue. I guess SIF is not my piece of pie.

Guess everyone has his own taste. What I dislike of Martin is his food fetish. The sentence 'He broke his fast with...' is used way too often, and of course his listing of all the dishes from the seven kingdoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom