The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Game Otimization in Pc version...

I read on a website that one of the developers said: With the recomended settings the game run in 30fps. The Witcher 3 will only run at 60 fps on a High end PC . This is true? because if it is, I will not even try to run this game at 900p with this setting:
-EVGA Gtx 660 2GB GDDR5 192 bit FTW
-Intel Core I5 3330 3.0 Ghz
-8Gb Ram DDR3 1333Mhz
Otimization as always is only in consoles tsc...
:hmm:

Last edited:
I read on a website that one of the developers said: With the recomended settings the game run in 30fps. The Witcher 3 will only run at 60 fps on a High end PC . This is true? because if it is, I will not even try to run this game at 900p with this setting:
-EVGA Gtx 660 2GB GDDR5 192 bit FTW
-Intel Core I5 3330 3.0 Ghz
-8Gb Ram DDR3 1333Mhz
Otimization as always is only in consoles tsc...
:hmm:

It depends on settings. I think you can run it at 1080p at mid settings.

Do you think that GPU upgrade alone would still be enough for me? I was thinking maybe getting some mid end AMD r9 series card.

I'm not sure how it would actually perform with your setup; if you're not into "best quality possible, and the price be damned", you might be pleased with what you already have. You may not get an improvement that is worth your money for anything less than an R9 290. Those start around $280 (US).

Both Ubersampling and DSR are brute force anti-aliasing.

Ubersampling is, buzzwords aside, 2x supersampling (2xSSAA). Because it is brute force, it entails a factor of 2 hit to performance.

DSR is, in its common form, 4x downsampling (4xFSAA) with a post-processing filter that can further sharpen or soften the image. Maxwell GPUs are optimized for it. On GPUs other than Maxwell (Fermi and Kepler will run it, just not as well), it's also a big performance hit, equivalent to trying to run the game at 4K resolution.

Ubersampling, Downsampling and DSR are all basically the same thing, i.e. ordered-grid Supersampling Antialiasing (OGSSAA). DSR just adds a Gaussian downfilter (which is, in fact, a quite unsatisfactory choice, Lanczos would be preferable), to smooth (blur) the picture before displaying it.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'Maxwell GPUs are optimized for it' - there isn't really a way to optimize OGSSAA, that's why it's a brute force method of AA. Going from 1080p to 4xDSR@1080p will result in 4k rendering and 4k performance impact - also on Maxwell.
(In fact slightly larger performance impact than using a native 4k monitor, due to the scaling and resampling needed to convert the 4k rendering resolution to the 1080p display resolution).

@M4xw0lf
nVidia have definitely done something that makes DSR perform much better on Maxwell than on Fermi or Kepler. I'd presume it's the ability to handle the larger image FSAA requires and perform the downsampling and filtering more efficiently.

FSAA and SSAA are not necessarily the same thing. In situations where it is necessary to make a distinction, FSAA is downsampling from a larger image. "DSR 4K" actually creates a 4K (3840x2160) image and downsamples it to 1920x1080). This allows it to work in situations where it's not possible to supersample, say, as postprocessing to an existing game. But you ( 1 ) have to create the larger image, and ( 2 ) lose the ability to choose your supersampling algorithm.

I agree with you, the Gaussian filter could be better. But DSR is not a new preferred way of doing AA but just a last resort for games that have no usable native AA and don't play nice with injectable AA.

Reporters from Gamestar magazine said this after playing W3 on all platforms:

''Before we come to the weather report, a couple of technical details. We are playing The Witcher 3 on all three platforms, the PC, the PS4, as well as the Xbox One. The gaming computer is equipped with an Intel Core i7-4790, an ASRock Z97 motherboard, 8.0 gigabytes of RAM, a Geforce GTX 980 with 4.0 gigabytes video RAM, as well as an SSD drive. Thus, a high-end system, on which The Witcher 3 consistently runs fluently.
However, we are not allowed to switch into Ultra. The developer says the highest level will be optimized further but should run without problems on the same system''

They also said a few more things but that is offtopic here, and I will put it somewhere in Wild Hunt thread.

@M4xw0lf
nVidia have definitely done something that makes DSR perform much better on Maxwell than on Fermi or Kepler. I'd presume it's the ability to handle the larger image FSAA requires and perform the downsampling and filtering more efficiently.

I think you've got that wrong, I haven't seen either benchmarks or even nVidia statements to that extent.
Here are some benchmarks on Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi with DSR factors up to 4x: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Geforce-Grafikkarte-255598/Specials/DSR-Downsampling-1140676/
You see, the relative impact on the cards' performance is always similar on all GPU generations (except for the GTX570 in some cases - it simply lacks the VRAM for such high resolutions), Maxwell doesn't handle DSR any better than its predecessors.
Plus another comparison of DSR and high resolutions: http://www.computerbase.de/2014-09/geforce-gtx-980-970-test-sli-nvidia/14/
1080p + 4xDSR has the same impact as 4k on Maxwell. Which is absolutely expected.

Last edited:
Lanczos would be preferable), to smooth (blur) the picture before displaying it.
Sinc based algorithms, Lanczos and Jinc in particular are my favourites :p and as much as I love them, they'd also be pretty damn expensive over something like Gaussian I reckon and generally Lanczos2 and even 3 resampling results in a sharper image not smoother/blurrier.

Unless I'm mistaking your intent and you mean - downsample using standard bilinear but use lanczos to smooth the output before displaying.

Last edited:
Sinc based algorithms, Lanczos and Jinc in particular are my favourites :p and as much as I love them, they'd also be pretty damn expensive over something like Gaussian I reckon and generally Lanczos2 and even 3 resampling results in a sharper image not smoother/blurrier.
The smooth/blur part refers to Gaussian only, which is exactly why Lanczos would be better :)

Unless I'm mistaking your intent and you mean - downsample using standard bilinear but use lanczos to smooth the output before displaying.
The latter. If I'm not mistaken, that's also the way the current Gaussian filter is applied when using DSR.

---------- Updated at 12:21 PM ----------

By 'you' you mean @GuyNwah, I suppose.
Anyways - also MFAA is not a Maxwell hardware thing, and there is very little magic to it (ATI had basically the same technique, called temporal AA, ten years ago). Using half the sample count is of course faster than having more samples, and it needs rather high frame rate to work. Otherwise the changing sample pattern between consecutive frames will result in visible and annyoing flickering.

Last edited:
I was wondering what knowledgeable folks here think of my computer's ability to run the game.
In terms of my Lnynnfield @ 3.8 ghz, vs. the recommended Ivy Bridge @ 3.4 ghz. What % gain would the Ivy Bridge have over my o/c Lynnfield.
Thanks in advance guys. :)

I think I'm ok in the Ram and GPU department.

Specs:
CPU: i7-860 @ 3.8 ghz stable (HT on) (Hyper 212 evo)
RAM: 8gb G.Skill ddr3 1600
GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x 3gb
SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb
HDD: WD 1TB Black
MB: Gigabyte P55a-UD4P
Optical drives: 1 LG dvd-rw, 1 LG Bd-rw
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650w
Case: Coolermaster 690 ii advanced

Well, the recommended CPUs include AMD models that the Lynnfield i7, nice overclock 8) well outperforms, so I don't imagine it will be a problem.

We do not have any information about the performance on AMD GPUs, other than the AMD chips in the consoles perform creditably well. What you have is definitely good. We just don't know how good.

Last edited:
Well, the recommended CPUs include AMD models that the Lynnfield i7, nice overclock 8) well outperforms, so I don't imagine it will be a problem.

We do not have any information about the performance on AMD GPUs, other than the AMD chips in the consoles perform creditably well. What you have is definitely good. We just don't know how good.

Ok thanks. It's tough to tell with an o/c'd Lynnfield how it'll fare against the recommended Ivy Bridge.

I don't imagine I"ll need to rush out and buy a new motherboard,CPU, operating system soon. But thought I'd ask.

Hi everyone!

I´m also wondering if my PC is up to the task with W3. I know I´ll have to get at least a new GPU, but I´d be happy if I managed to play with my current CPU (I´m not a graphics enthusiast and am content with running games with lower settings). I´d be grateful ff someone helped me, here are my computer´s stats:

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
CPU: Intel i-5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz
RAM: 8 Gt RAM

Thanks in advance!

@GuyNwah how do you think 2 680's hold up? Considering the rest of my system is the same of higher (ram) then the recomended specs.

Edit, posted my entire rig:
i7-3770k @3.5GHz
16GB ram
Win 7, 64 bit
2x 680

My 2 graphics cards are the weakest links at the moment, I am thinking of upgrading them. Waiting till a 980ti or something is announced.

Last edited:
I'm planning on building a new computer soon and I saw that new monitors with 1440p / 144hz are coming to the market.
It looks quite nice, however I'm wondering if there is any use for one for witcher 3 given the fact that i'll probably use a gtx 980 as gpu. Any idea if it is powerful enough to use the potential of these monitors or the game will be too demanding anyway ?
Should I just stick with a 1080p/60hz for now and wait for the prices to go down ?

Thx !

Will my 2,50 GHz laptop run The Witcher 3?

Hello everybody, I am really looking forward to buy The Witcher 3 and I bought a new laptop a few months ago thinking about something able tu run the game, the problem is I am not sure about the processor... I have an MSI GT72 2PE DOMINATOR PRO with an i7-4710HQ 2,50 GHz processor, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX880M video card with 8 GB, 32 GB of RAM and a 1TB Hard Disk of 7200 rpm. I say am not sure about the processor cause the minimun requirements for the game are a 3.3GHz processor. Do you think that my laptop will be able to run The witcher 3? Thank you very much in advance.

You might be okay but we don't know, My laptops processor was not apparently enough for Dragon Age Inquisition but it run it once I'd edited an .ini

Ok... the recommended processor for The Witcher 3 is a i7 3770 3,4 GHz which means it has only one core instead of the four cores my i7 4710HQ 2,5 GHz processor has, mine has less GHz but more cores, is it a good thing?

Top Bottom