Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess everyone has his own taste. What I dislike of Martin is his food fetish. The sentence 'He broke his fast with...' is used way too often, and of course his listing of all the dishes from the seven kingdoms
Thank you. I had to find someone who complained about this as well. :evil:

Don't forget his obsession with dicks. :p
Haven't yet read the books. But is he actually obsessed with dicks or is he just one of the few people who is not afraid to talk about them? We see boobs and asses everywhere, but god forbid we once notice a penis, even non-erect. I am looking at you too Witcher. <_<

In the books I only recall it mentioned twice so far (I am at the beginning of the fourth). Once it was Theon's on a voyage with some girl and once on Tyrion's wedding night. That means that they are mentioned and described. There are of course much more event related to dicks like: castration, partitial castration (one wildling is boasting that a she-bear has bitten off half his 'member') and of course the sex-scenes are quite vivid.

The tv series is quite another story. In the first season it is again Theon's dong who is shown and Hordor has a really big wiener prosthesis (at least I hope so, it can't be two foot long).

Last edited:
Good writer doesn't have any genital in his lexicon. And he can excite reader without using them. Writer doing a small push and reader's imagination does everything else.

This is usually true, with an exception for The Vagina Monologues, however "good writer" and Martin don't belong in the same thought. Damn, I miss Jack Vance. And Terry Pratchett.

Last edited:
In the books I only recall it mentioned twice so far (I am at the beginning of the fourth). Once it was Theon's on a voyage with some girl and once on Tyrion's wedding night. That means that they are mentioned and described
I'm reading the 3rd (yes I'm still there) and yeah, pretty much, dicks are mentioned only in Tyrion and Theon POVs. I don't know how the tv series behaves for that subject, but from what I've read around it seems... it's worse, lol. Anyway I like Martin, just a bit slow and with a food fetish.

I'm reading the 3rd (yes I'm still there) and yeah, pretty much, dicks are mentioned only in Tyrion and Theon POVs. I don't know how the tv series behaves for that subject, but from what I've read around it seems... it's worse, lol. Anyway I like Martin, just a bit slow and with a food fetish.

"A bit slow"? Try veeeeery slow! :p

Yeah I said "a bit" because not every POV is slow... Know that every time I get to Catelyn's chapters I start shivering, dammit, mother of slowness. :p

I only ever read the first book and I agree: Catelyn's chapters where ridiculously slow (almost as bad as Sansa) I almost stopped reading there, but I wanted to get to the end so I forced myself through it.

I hear Catelyn's chapters get better in the later books. Just push through.

The size of the latter books scare me off. The second book alone is 200 pages more than the first one. The later ones are even larger. How are you supposed to read through all that?

The size of the latter books scare me off. The second book alone is 200 pages more than the first one. The later ones are even larger. How are you supposed to read through all that?
Read diagonally on the slow passages. :) That is what I used to do in LotR for example when the descriptions of the scenery wouldn't end or the songs would go on for pages...

Read diagonally on the slow passages. :) That is what I used to do in LotR for example when the descriptions of the scenery wouldn't end or the songs would go on for pages...

Honestly? Game of Thrones took a lot of energy out of me, and I don't think I'm ready for another one. I don't think it's for me: I have no patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom