Lvl 1 naked playthrough?

+
Lvl 1 naked playthrough?

I just watched an interview from GameSpot and the interviewee, who had the chance to play 3 hrs on Xbox one, said that your gear and character level is somewhat irrelevant and that your combat skill is more important, eg dodging, side stepping, parying, etc. He managed during those 3 hrs to fight higher lvl enemies than what he was intended to encounter, so my question is whether or not it would be possible for a lvl 1 naked playthrough, just like Dark Souls 2?

Possible? Sure. Encouraged? No. The game is balanced to be challenging (plus difficulty levels for those who want it easier/harder) and we recommend you keep your armor on.

Still, some people will take to combat better than others. I know that if I were to say "There is absolutely no way anyone would be able to be naked and blah blah blah" there would be hundreds of people withing hours or days that prove me wrong. I'm sure someone will do it sooner or later.

I just watched an interview from GameSpot and the interviewee, who had the chance to play 3 hrs on Xbox one, said that your gear and character level is somewhat irrelevant and that your combat skill is more important, eg dodging, side stepping, parying, etc. He managed during those 3 hrs to fight higher lvl enemies than what he was intended to encounter, so my question is whether or not it would be possible for a lvl 1 naked playthrough, just like Dark Souls 2?

What interview? Can u post link? :p

This is good stuff, I like it when games come down to skill rather than stats, but let you make things slightly easier by improving stats. This is also a great way to more finely adjust the difficulty level of the game, by holding off on upgrading your gear. For example when I play TW2 I prefer to play on normal difficulty, but I only use raven armor and whichever boots, gloves and trousers I find most aesthetically pleasing, and I don't upgrade from using Aerondight and usually Jagged Blade or Princess Xenthia's sword until chapter 3, which is where the game does a massive jump in enemy stats.

I've got a dirty mind (age doesn't forgive), I know... reading the title I've got a flash of Geralt, naked in a bear (¿?) skin, fighting, running

So based on the latest articles and deals with Microsoft CDPR is blah blah blah...it's just that those with xbox are more equal.

And this has what to do with the topic? Or are you just venting your spleen everywhere, regardless of topic? How on earth does wearing armor when you fight (something I have done in EVERY fantasy RPG I've ever played all the way back to first edition D&D) have anything to do with us becoming "Microsoft's lap dog"?

If you're going to get all doomsayer, do it in a thread relevant to how terrible we are as a company, not one about whether you can play through in the nude or not. Makes you look like a twit.

And this has what to do with the topic? Or are you just venting your spleen everywhere, regardless of topic? How on earth does wearing armor when you fight (something I have done in EVERY fantasy RPG I've ever played all the way back to first edition D&D) have anything to do with us becoming "Microsoft's lap dog"?

If you're going to get all doomsayer, do it in a thread relevant to how terrible we are as a company, not one about whether you can play through in the nude or not. Makes you look like a twit.

I love you! ;)

Are you sure don't have any latin blood from your ancestors? :p

Ehm, no, RPG is a game genre with its rules, history and example of how game design should be done.
And, sadly, the arrow which shows where the player have to go, and the hand holding witcher senses, are good examples of bad quest design. A Skyrim-way of doing RPGs, which is simply wrong.

In an RPG or Action/RPG (which is simply a normal RPG with an Action combat system but still related to parametric values) four things are important. Quest design (how the quest is complex), C&C system (choices and consequences, this system needs a kind of consequences with great impact on the world and on the main quest, and not only some skin changes - If you have in mind Bioware's game, then Mass Effect 1,2,3 and Dragon Age Inquisition are good examples of bad C&C system), level design and dialogues tree.

/CLose OT. XD
We will be able to analyze it better in May.

And from this, we learn that RPG means different things to different people, along with what constitutes a good or bad RPG.

This isn't exactly going anywhere and the question has been answered, instead veering off into unrelated discussions and responses... locked.

Last edited:
Re-opened at request of a user, after cleaning. If people would like it to stay that way, I would suggest keeping on topic instead of discussing the definition of RPG or complaining about things completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Thx sidspyker

the fact is that naked playthrought was something possible in the Witcher 2. I posted one mone ago a guy that was able to finish the game in the hardest difficulty, it means, no deads, with no upgrades and "naked": [

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/33686-Hardest-impossible?p=1540114#post1540114

So I think that it will be possible, also, in the Witcher 3.

Recommendable, not recommendable? Well, the people that does these things are guys that know in detail the game. These are things for people that had finished the game several times and dominate them. It means hours, a lot of them. (and more with a big open world).

So, if you try, let us know! It is impressive to see people do "impossible" things, in games.

I'm pretty sure that at least one person completed TW2 naked and using something like a shovel as his only weapon. No idea where there's a link though.
I do know that @227 played through with no levelling up, and made the savegames available online - they were useful for other players as they could then level up in any way they wanted. (Again, can't remember where the links are now). From memory, he didn't play it naked though.

Generally, I think that such personal challenges add to the replayability in any game. I'd also like to see Steam Achievements for them. :)

I'd also like to clarify that when I say "naked", I'm talking about Geralt, not the player. I don't think it's especiallly noteworthy when it's the player.

Forum veteran
I'm pretty sure that at least one person completed TW2 naked and using something like a shovel as his only weapon. No idea where there's a link though.
I remember when I first started posting on GOG around when the game came out, someone played through the game naked using... a spoon, I think? Or ladle, or whatever it's called. Could swear it was one of the devs who did it as some kind of publicity stunt, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or if there's a video of it.

From memory, he didn't play it naked though.
Nope; used Dark Mode armor. Then again, it made little difference since I could get one-shotted by just anything either way, so I'd imagine it's about the same kind of experience.

And yes, "naked" refers to Geralt and not the player. Personally, I wore a tasteful mankini.

I remember when I first started posting on GOG around when the game came out, someone played through the game naked using... a spoon, I think? Or ladle, or whatever it's called. Could swear it was one of the devs who did it as some kind of publicity stunt, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or if there's a video of it.

I don't think it was a dev. Could it have been Kindo? I have a vague memory of it being Kindo...

Forum veteran
I don't think it was a dev. Could it have been Kindo? I have a vague memory of it being Kindo...
Hmm, I don't think so, but I do remember a thread from way back where he was wondering why Geralt was glowing so much. Turns out he glows like he's incandescent when he's naked in the nighttime near torches, so I suppose that's at least one sign that it's a possibility.

This was going to drive me insane, so I dug up the thread I remembered seeing. The dev didn't do it naked, but ~allegedly~ using only the pickaxe on the insane difficulty. Aaden still posts here, so you know who to tie to a chair and torture for information about this elusive video.

I'm pretty sure that at least one person completed TW2 naked and using something like a shovel as his only weapon
I would like to see how he killed operator boss with shovel, or the other "operator" (Ioverth side where you get Vran sword).
Or did he just rush main quest ?

Top Bottom