Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much! :hatsoff:
I'd really like to see those images in a lossless format though.

I don't see a "MUCH, MUCH" kind of difference in the texture quality(imo). Comparing the non leafy parts of the foliage (On similiar distances) doesn't show a noticable difference. The big difference I see is much more and smaller foliage. Those are also different plants, so there's that problem.

Updated post, and added the lossless links

Water doesn't look that bad from close.

Old renderer/

OK. Downloaded the whole 1.1GB PAX uncompressed video and took a screenshot with upscaling filters on MPC Home Cinema.

VS

Now you see it?

Compressed or not, even a child can tell you that there is downgrade. Too bad some people will still come up with poor excuses. Even I admit that there is downgrade and I was defending this game 2-3 months ago. New Pax footage is even more heart breaking. It doesn't even look good anymore when compared to other next gen games. In some places it just looks bad. Look at those mountains in the distance, they look like the ones from alpha version of Arma 3 when LOD wasn't final and engine had trouble rendering distant objects correctly. VGX trailer looked like CGI from few years ago and SOD trailer also looked epic.

I'm not sure why the thread took this sharpening diversion, unless it's to insinuate that the decline in visual quality we've seen is all down to the removal of a sharpening filter, which it isn't, even if the earlier footage was sharpened, and if it were why on earth wouldn't they re-enable it since it requires so little processing power?

All the sharpening examples look horrendous except at postage stamp resolutions. Once you up the detail it brings out the detail of the sharpening in all its heavy-handed glory. Heck, I can achieve this effect by ramping up sharpening on my television settings with the remote. It looks every bit as cheap and nasty as it is.

What I mean is that if the game support 4k resolution, the game probably have textures in high quality because when you stretch a game up to 4k and you don't have good textures, the game will look really bad, like if it's not supposed to be played in 4k.

Not really, it could be just ticking a marketing box to say 'hey, we support 4k'. Any decently coded pc game will support arbitrary resolutions anyway, 4k and beyond.

Has CDPR been out and say there is no downgrade: YES. Have they stated that the graphic fidelity of the VGX/SOD can be achieved: YES. Have they shown it: NO! And as long as it hasn't been shown, just as long a downgrade thread will keep popping up with each new release of new materiel.

As I said before, it depends on what you're talking about when you speak of a 'downgrade'. Maybe the maximum obtainable fidelity that will make it into the final product is the same that it has always been. Perhaps in that sense there is no downgrade. But the decline in visual quality from earlier to later footage is there for all to see, and leads one to speculate.

That's not stopped some people from denying any such decline, or stating the opposite, though. Only reference to demonstrably objective differences in side-by-side comparisons that are equivalent (cinematic vs. cinematic, gameplay vs. gameplay, uncompressed vs uncompressed) calling attention with arrows and boxes to every disabled effect and referring to it by name and why the footage shows that said effect is turned off and why it looks worse off for it would resolve such dispute. And maybe not even then.

Noone has gone to such effort and I'm not sure if they even should. People who are able to see an upgrade are lucky SOB's as far as I am concerned, good for them.

Last edited:
So, we know that Witcher 3 at High looks like console version, and at Ultra there will be some small differences. (aka HBAO+ and fur)
Still, to be able to play the game set at console quality at 30 fps, you need a 770, a graphic card more powerful than console's GPU.

It seems to me that PC version is dumbed down because of consoles. Again.

Is it so difficult to set console version quality respectively to low/medium settings on PC version, and then scale up the latter?

Compressed or not, even a child can tell you that there is downgrade. Too bad some people will still come up with poor excuses. Even I admit that there is downgrade and I was defending this game 2-3 months ago. New Pax footage is even more heart breaking. It doesn't even look good anymore when compared to other next gen games. In some places it just looks bad. Look at those mountains in the distance, they look like the ones from alpha version of Arma 3 when LOD wasn't final and engine had trouble rendering distant objects correctly. VGX trailer looked like CGI from few years ago and SOD trailer also looked epic.

The important question here is not "was there a downgrade?", the important question is "was there a downgrade on PC?"

(HBAO+ is useless).

Uhh, No. AO is extremely useful, and HBAO+ is one of the best AO methods out there, and actually has a very reasonable performance cost.

Also this is Nvidia's site, they are only going to list what the game has in terms of Nvidia support. They won't actually say whether there's also bumps on Ultra to Draw Distance, LOD, Tessellation, other post processing effects etc.

AO used to be mostly useless before HDAO/HBAO/HBAO+ because SSAO etc are pretty low quality and pointlessly taxing. Now I can't live without it, if the game has an option I'll use it, if it doesn't then I force it with compatible bits in older games(mostly DX9).

It's unfortunate the devs have chosen to stay quiet in regards to this thread (...)

That's not factual.
First of all, Marcin Momot did answer 3 relevant questions regarding this master. Let's acknowledge his contribution. Additionally, and more recently, TheEvilChris, the North American Community manager, was also kind enough to share his deep thoughts on the downgrade talk. Let's also acknowledge - and lament - that fact. So they have by no means kept absolutely quiet. Maybe their answers and comment weren't to your liking. They exist nonetheless.

I wish they released some screenshots with Ultra settings, just for comparison. (...)

I wouldn't get your hopes too high. Damien said footage on ultra: only after release. And I'm sure you're already read this:

Correct. We have not shown any footage on highest settings. I'm not aware of any plans to do so. (...)

Preparing the ground for not showing it before release?

They addressed the subject already: The game can look like in the trailers (...)

What do you want them to say specifically is the proper question, because they already have spoken and nobody supporting the downgrade seemed to care much.

How are you doing Bass? Great, I hope.

Let's review the facts: Regarding footage on ultra ahead of release , Marcin said:

Not sure but that's a good idea and something we will definitely look into.

Damien said what he said. EvilChris said what he said. It seems to me REDS' stance has evolved or, more accurately, clarified and at the very least that encourages some latitude when looking at Marcin's previous answer. Because, I'm so very sorry, but nobody, nobody, has ever come up with a reasonable explanation, a legitimate reason as to why REDs would be justified in not showing footage on ultra ahead of release. If somebody has a decent explanation - other than the completely non credible attempts made so far - let him come forward.

And should I take Marcin's words as Gospel? Is that the only possible reaction you would equate with «caring»?I love the man, but he declared a trio of passable screenshots «great». And here's the thing: this goes both ways. You can't keep mentioning there's still a couple of months to improve things without honestly also acknowledging that things can also deteriorate further and render Marcin's answers to the aforementioned questions outdated, much in the same way his reply to the footage on ultra suggestion appears to now to have been rendered outdated. Caution, my friend, some caution when evaluating this sort of statements is advised.

I wish I could say that wasn't exactly what I predicted, but... that's exactly what I predicted.

Honestly, it's a bit disappointing - not that I've been here for all that long, but this community was always different from most other gaming forums, and now that the Witcher series has pushed through to the AAA sphere, it's also attracting that part of the gaming public that only exists to complain endlessly. I shudder to think what it's going to be like when the game's actually out and we enter the "zomg dis game sux i wnat a refund" phase of the cycle.

I guess it was to be expected, but the fact that this is one of the few places where this didn't happen was why I still posted here. I don't really post on any other gaming forums anymore because they're all black, toxic holes of endless whining and complaining.

You want to know what I think about the complaining?

There have been some hot-tempered heads here and there advocating for the downgrade. But torrential complaining, now that has come from people complaining about the so-called complainers. Surely, it's a 3 or 4 fold disparity. That's where I've sensed hostility and negativity at their peak.

The Witcher 3 going AAA attracted complainers? That's a really baseless accusation. People are seeing a difference in quality from 2013 to now, is it really to be expected to encounter no complaining? I have seen very few individuals actually getting really aggressive about any potential downgrade. Maybe on NeoGAF, but I'm pretty sure NeoGAF is generally considered the potty of gaming forums. The Witcher community is just like any other community. It has its cool guys and its douchey guys.

I don't quite agree.
In the past, praise for the TW3 has actually been more enthusiastic over there than here. Check their community thread on TW3.

I'm not sure why the thread took this sharpening diversion (...)

Me neither.
Downgrades usually lead to poorer LoD, shorter Draw distance, lower res textures, simpler geometry, cancelled FX, etc. In my opinion, neither sharpening not gritty art direction pertain to the topic at hand.

Last edited:
Well, according to GeForce site:
This app supports:
SLI
DirectX 11
PhysX
HBAO+
HairWorks
DSR

And i rly hope, that at least PhysX in final version will be as cool as THAT!

Only things this has over console version is HBAO+, 4k, and DSR. Sli too but that only increases fps not the actual look of the game.

Only things this has over console version is HBAO+, 4k, and DSR. Sli too but that only increases fps not the actual look of the game.
HairWorks and GPU Acclerated PhysX too. Nvidia site will obviously only list what THEY are providing, not what CDPR are doing for the game on PC.

i hope the mentioned features are still IN the game
From Nvidia GeForce website - Yes
From this "Nvidia" Presentation - No (most of this - not rly nvidia features, its just The Witcher 3 Red Engine 2013 build advantages, which most likely not will be in the final game (considering that the developers themselves indirectly admitted graphic Downgrade: Meanwhile, the quality of the lightning and adding light in the trailer remains debatable. We’ve made a mistake which was the fact that some shots were rendered in dark and greyish colors. To put it simply, that was the option picked by the engine. I think that there will be places that will look jaw-dropping, and no one will claim that they differ from what was seen in the trailer. Unfortunately, there will also be fragments, where the game looks worse. It’s the same with GTA – when the wind picks up and it gets grey, especially in the forest, the graphics seem certainly worse than in the neon-filled and lively city
link).

So, we know that Witcher 3 at High looks like console version, and at Ultra there will be some small differences. (aka HBAO+ and fur)
Still, to be able to play the game set at console quality at 30 fps, you need a 770, a graphic card more powerful than console's GPU.

It seems to me that PC version is dumbed down because of consoles. Again.

Is it so difficult to set console version quality respectively to low/medium settings on PC version, and then scale up the latter?

They're targeting* PC high settings for consoles. After the preview event multiple people confirmed that they've spotted the difference between the PC(that was on high) and the console version of the game. Draw distance,foliage quality,reflection on the armor wasn't the same.

PC setup with 750ti can match up and can offer similar results as PS4 when it comes to performance and fidelity.

As for the downgrade I won't critique before I see the final build but I think that the game will achieve and it will be close to the SoD trailer fidelity(I hope) and IMO it was the best representation of the game even though I really like that sharpening filter from the older build but even if it isn't available in vanilla a simple SweetFx can fix that.

thanks. would i be considered naiv if i expect the game to look like it does Here on Pc Ultra?
If you expect to see Sword of Destiny graphics as PC Ultra Preset - well, i cant answer for this surely (i rly expect to see it too).
But, if you expect to see 2013 graphic (Debut 2013 gameplay\VGX trailer) - I am hundred percent sure - this will not happen.

Well, according to GeForce site:
And i rly hope, that at least PhysX in final version will be as cool as THAT!

That part of the trailer where Geralt walking trhough the village...well that's the most Amazing trailer of TW3 so far...a step over VGX...finger crossed to replicate it with ultra or uber..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom