Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in all fairness, a Bob Ross painting has probably better realized foliage and a superior draw distance than Witcher 3. It severely lacks in the interactivy-department though. ;)

Well I had some time so i decide to find out something more about the grass...personally (i repeat, PERSONALLY) what I didn't like in the last 2 min trailer was the fact that grass has poor textures and that it bend like if it is made in a single panel of cardboard...(sorry if some pics are blurry couldn't find uncompressed videos...). Here it's what I mean:
Watching again VGX and SOD trailer (that according to many ppl here on the forum are the best so far) I noticed that there were already that low res and flat textures...here a few screens:
Probably due to the nature of the trailers (more fast and cinematic than proper gameplay) I didn't noticed...more pics will follow...

Sure, SOD trailer wasn't perfect.

The 2nd picture is from 2013. 2014+ footage looks nothing like that and you know it

No, I don't. And neither do you. I picked an image I pulled off the net - no idea when it was from or what engine and machine was used to create. The other was a shot from Witcher 3, made sometime during the development process.

For all I -know-, that's the current top-of-the-line rendering as of this Friday.

Do you -know- any differently?

No, I don't. And neither do you. I picked an image I pulled off the net - no idea when it was from or what engine and machine was used to create. The other was a shot from Witcher 3, made sometime during the development process.

For all I -know-, that's the current top-of-the-line rendering as of this Friday.

Do you -know- any differently?

Oh common, please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_G6XiHoUA#t=1m07s

You can find your shot at 0:56. 2013 footage.

Last edited:
The 2nd picture is from 2013. 2014+ footage looks nothing like that and you know it

To be honest, I think that screenshot looks better than the one @Sardukhar.479 posted. To me, it almost looks like a painting. It certainly looks very scenic. Maybe that's the look they were going for? In fact, maybe they intended to go for that look all along but waited until the engine was fully optimized to slap on the finishing touches? After all, it makes for a linear game like TW2 to go for a photorealistic style. But for an open-world game like TW3 doesn't it make sense to choose an art-style that makes the most of the panoramic views?

Last edited:
I'm doing good thanks for asking :)

Listen, I personally dont believe the story that Ultra is for release only. I think it was something Monnier said improvising, and now CDPR are using that statement as if it was part of a strategy, but I dont think it is at all.

IMO this is what they are doing: "let's say Ultra will be seen just at release, so that if we make new trailers and people dont like them, we can keep saying its High, and then improve based on the complains for when release actually happens" This is actually somewhat reasonable, because remember the two months before release, that work from the team, will have to come in a day one patch, because disks get made before. So I think the statement is their way of saying "there's a real possibility the game will look at its best at release, and not before"...

Yeah, I agree with others that the VGX "look" won't be replicated because the underlying tech (renderer) has changed. With respect to the SoD scenes though, it could very well be a Unity-like situation. Leading up to that game's release a bunch of people started to accuse it of being downgraded because the recent demos didn't hold up to the reveal footage. The game wasnt really downgraded, ultra just had abysmal performance issues and they couldnt have demo'd than in any long form. Also, the cutscene character models are much more detailed than the ingame ones.

I suspect CDPR won't be showing ultra for similar reasons, it just flat out isnt ready for anything beyond the 3 second clips you see in a hype trailer.

Unity also has pre-baked lighting, hell the cutscene doesn't use the same lighting as the gameplay at all, when it switches it looks VERY....jarring

Yeah, I agree with others that the VGX "look" won't be replicated because the underlying tech (renderer) has changed. With respect to the SoD scenes though, it could very well be a Unity-like situation. Leading up to that game's release a bunch of people started to accuse it of being downgraded because the recent demos didn't hold up to the reveal footage. The game wasnt really downgraded, ultra just had abysmal performance issues and they couldnt have demo'd than in any long form. Also, the cutscene character models are much more detailed than the ingame ones.

I suspect CDPR won't be showing ultra for similar reasons, it just flat out isnt ready for anything beyond the 3 second clips you see in a hype trailer.

Yep. It´s obvious. Why should they release something with the quality of the PaxEast material just two monthes before release, then they showed something like VGX in 2013? Doesn´t make any sense.

@wavebend No offense, but I wouldn't want to play a game that looked like that. As a picture it looks nice, but as an actual game I would find the sharpness and intense color contrast (or whatever) very distracting.

Me neither. The contrast distracts you from the bad textures. It's a lose-lose situation

Siiiigh. No, @wavebend, I'm not debating where the image I posted came from. I don't care.

The POINT is that you do not know how the game looks right now, rendered at full everything. You don't know. And yet, you say things like 2014+ footage looks nothing like that.

This whole thread consists of people with insufficient data 65 days out from release, speculating madly, ( in both senses) on what the game will look like and upset because they haven't been shown enough to judge.

That's it. Well, that and people defending against said claims of downgrading. Apparently, there's 4 times as much of that?

Yet none of us know what the game looked like this Friday. None of us. CDPR could be staring at footage right now that looks better than the image I posted, and we have no idea. Nor are we due that proprietary data.

Kind of a lot of angst for so little fact, isn't it?

I tell you what. If, when the game comes out, I can't render W3 in some stupidly high resolution with beautiful imagery akin to that image out there, I'll post, "I WAS WRONG YOU WERE RIGHT" fifty times. I'll do it on my ATI rig, too, just to put a hole in THAT balloon, while I'm at it.

If, on the other hand, I can, all of you swearing the game is going to look like crap or you've been lied to (sinuously or not), you all get to type SARD YOU ARE A GOD fifty times apiece.

Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom