The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hidden tension for Triss' part but not for Geralt's, hehehe. Also, reading Time of Contempt, Yennefer knew what happened and she was quiet and still showing good feelings towards Triss.

XD smirk your interpretation, but i think he really just hides his feelings ;) and he is good at this you know that :p

I don't know if my post is clear enough, but I hope it is. :p

Instructions unclear :p :p Geralt and Yennefer and Triss are fighting neow :p :p :p

Cosplayers: https://www.facebook.com/xeniashel, https://www.facebook.com/ver1sacosplay

Oh yes! This two women have the ability of transport you in that scene, poor Geralt!

I can easyly see these two women in the next Geralt's movie....

I have only played TW2 on console and have not read the books.
Triss is the only romantic interest in my TW world at the moment.

This is not even an issue worth contemplating for me. As far as I'm concerned, Triss is not even a blip on Geralt's radar when it comes to romantic matters. They are close friends and Geralt would travel to the end of the world to rescue her if the situation called for it, but despite the fact that they have been intimitate with each other - in absence of Yen and (in the games at least) Geralt's memory one should add - there's no real deep emotional connection from Geralt's side. Yennefer on the other hand is Geralt's soul mate, his one true love. Their relationship is complicated and oftentimes messy, but it's also very honest and quite mature. Also, Yennefer is not only a freakin' great character on her own, she's easily Geralt's equal. And who doesn't love a strong, capable woman?!
So while I have no doubt that I will play multiple times through the Witcher 3, I severly doubt that at any point Triss will get a shot at attaining her own happiness. While I can sympathize with her and the whole unrequited love thing, there is really nothing I can do about it. :D

Attachments

• the_witcher_3___the_true_story_by_whianem-d4hfwdp.jpg
    the_witcher_3___the_true_story_by_whianem-d4hfwdp.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
This is not even an issue worth contemplating for me. As far as I'm concerned, Triss is not even a blip on Geralt's radar when it comes to romantic matters. They are close friends and Geralt would travel to the end of the world to rescue her if the situation called for it, but despite the fact that they have been intimitate with each other - in absence of Yen and (in the games at least) Geralt's memory one should add - there's no real deep emotional connection from Geralt's side. Yennefer on the other hand is Geralt's soul mate, his one true love. Their relationship is complicated and oftentimes messy, but it's also very honest and quite mature. Also, Yennefer is not only a freakin' great character on her own, she's easily Geralt's equal. And who doesn't love a strong, capable woman?!
So while I have no doubt that I will play multiple times through the Witcher 3, I severly doubt that at any point Triss will get a shot at attaining her own happiness. While I can sympathize with her and the whole unrequited love thing, there is really nothing I can do about it.

Might be right for BOOK ONLY TRISS ... but after TW1 and TW2 not a chance pal Yennefer and Triss are equal in chances
or as you liked to say BLIP ON HIS RADAR

only gap is the gametime they have passed ... because act 3 of TW1 doesn t show that its equal to shard of ice :p
Well everybody has his preferences :D so ... i still go for #showmecdpr :D and nothing more or less

Might be right for BOOK ONLY TRISS ... but after TW1 and TW2 not a chance pal Yennefer and Triss are equal in chances
or as you liked to say BLIP ON HIS RADAR

only gap is the gametime they have passed ... because act 3 of TW1 doesn t show that its equal to shard of ice :p
Well everybody has his preferences :D so ... i still go for #showmecdpr :D and nothing more or less

I'm not gonna lie. This decision is obviously almost completely informed by the books. As is my view of Triss as this kinda little sister type of character. And with all due respect to CDPR, but nothing in the first two games comes even close - both in terms of the characters that you can pursue romantically as well the depiction of relationship(s) - that can hold a candle to what Sapkowski did in his books* in that respect. Now, I'm aware that this is obviously an unfair comparision given the inherent differences of the two mediums, but it doesn't change the fact that Yennefer remains - despite Triss' enhanced role in regards to her importance to the story as well as to Geralt personally - "THE" woman in Geralt's life, no matter how much time might have passed or how many women Geralt might have screwed in the meantime. And I sincerely hope CDPR does her awesome character justice in the Witcher 3.

To paraphrase a conversation from Lady of the Lake:

Yen: Did you were with some other women while I was away.
Geralt: No.
Yen: Really?
Geralt: I was always thinking of you.
Yen: Now I believe you.

*And while I love the games and have them played numerous times, in the end I cannot help but see them as - extremely well written, dedicated and, overall, surprisingly faithful - fan fiction that depicts an alternate, non-canon reality of how things might have possibly continued after the events of "Lady of the Lake" which, to me at least, provided a perfect, absolutely satisfying conclusion to the Witcher saga.

Last edited:
This is a difficult topic for me. After I found out that Yen is gonna be in a game, I thought - ok, that is clear.

But then I saw SoD trailer:

And I realised that it is not Sapkowski's series. These are games. And I love Triss from the games... And from that trailer.

I'll propably make my decision during gameplay.

I'm not gonna lie. This decision is obviously almost completely informed by the books. As is my view of Triss as this kinda little sister type of character. And with all due respect to CDPR, but nothing in the first two games comes even close - both in terms of the characters that you can pursue romantically as well the depiction of relationship(s) - that can hold a candle to what Sapkowski did in his books* in that respect.

I have a feeling that this was intended. I don't know if all of that was Mr Blacha's idea, but from what I have gathered from some of his posts here, he is an amazing son of a bitch. He knows what he is doing.

And it all comes to a close in TW3.

@dexter2 I hear you. That shot of Triss is really something.

But chances are I'll go for Yen because [insert Tokei-ihto's post]. Maybe the game will surprise me in this regard, who knows.

I disagree, even though the Witcher games are not canon, Witcher 3's story is the climax that should have happened in the books, there was an entire subplot in the last book that was left open for a sequel that did not happen, and now are getting it in Witcher 3 :p

Then we have to agree to disagree, mein hochmeisterlicher König. ;)
While Sapkowskie did not necessarily tie up every single plot thread, I never felt that there was something important missing or that certain parts of story absolutely needed a continuation. There was a certain amount of ambiguity as well as an open-ended nature to some of it, no doubt, but that felt very much intentional. Personally, I think that the last third of the book - both thematically and emotionally - simply ranks among the best what fantasy literature has produced in the last couple of decades - and I have read a not insignificant amount of what this genre has to offer I might add.

I have a feeling that this was intended. I don't know if all of that was Mr Blacha's idea, but from what I have gathered from some of his posts here, he is an amazing son of a bitch. He knows what he is doing.

And it all comes to a close in TW3.

I wonder how much of this whole (presumed) love triangle/relationship thing was planned in advance. I mean Yennefer is completely missing from the Witcher 1 if I remember correctly and only gets a few though arguably crucial mentions in the second game. And while her absence is intricately linked with Geralt's convenient memory loss (a much-loved dramaturgical device) it's an interesting notion to contemplate if CDPR refrained from having her appear in any physical capacity (not counting flashbacks) becaused they wanted to focus on Triss*, making her an equally attractive love interest that could actually compete for Geralt's attention in the eyes of the players.

*But then you could also romance Shani (let alone bed everything with a heart beat) in the first game. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this.

I could also imagine that, from a writing perspective, it was probably more fulfilling to tackle the character of Triss - who, in the books, plays a comparatively small role all things considered and is far less defined than the other female characters - and not only take some liberties with her personality, but also make her much more important to the overall proceedings and Geralt personally. It's a neat way of distinguishing the games a bit from the source material, putting one's mark on it, so to speak, without actually contradicting or even betraying Sapkowski's creation. Perhaps it was also a matter of confidence in the beginning. Just the fact that Yennefer is a much more prominent character in the books than Triss would have led a lot of fans to scrutinize the way she is portrayed much more carefully and - let's face it, in case of perceived flaws and shortcomings - harshly as it was the case with the not-quite-as-popular Miss Merigold.

I'm also curious to know whether the overaching story of the trilogy - and with it character appearances and specific plotlines - was set in stone right from the start and only minor changes were made along the way or if the main narrative gradually emerged while working on each individual installment. After all, CDPR was and still is a comparatively small development studio. There was no guarantee that Witcher 1 would be successful enough for them to keep making these games and bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. And I might be mistaken, but to me it seems like there was a definitve course correction with the Witcher 2 in more than one way.

Anyway, enough of this rambling ...

@dexter2 : I have to admit, Triss is looking mighty fine in that pic. :)
@TemerianGirl : Oh my! :D

@Tokei-ihto

as i mentioned ... only the "drive" of the story events can tell how we will decide here (at least for me)
To turn my back in Triss now... well she has to really betray me ... and my friends... i mean putting our
lives on the stack ... for .... lets say more power and might... or influence ... same goes for Yennefer
and this (after game events) is very unlikely for both.

Yen might be our no. 1 choice because the love is older ... yet still instable, but time has passed since
Lady of the Lake ended and we got seperated.... and counting the drive of TW1 and TW2 events in
(with Triss) its really hard to say ... without doubt, Triss here or Yennefer there...

It just depends on the events ... we ll endure during the development of our relationships here.
Lets just see it for yourself :p

What will #teamyennefer do, if Yennefer tries to kill / sacrifice Cirilla? Because Ciri is just too
"dangerous" for the world? Same for #teamtriss ??

Hm? What will you do?
What if Triss warns interfere with that intention ? Or Yennefer interferes with Triss intention?
See what i mean?

Yes i count in that Yennefer is like a mother for Cirilla and Cirilla is like a daughter for Yennefer

Exactly that is the reason why i just ll wait how our relationship with both of them will develeop in TW3.
Because Cirilla > Yennefer and Triss for Geralt!

YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE! :p :p

Dunno if i would go for a kill Yennefer/ Triss if they threat Ciri in any way ....
Specially because THIS would destroy my Geralt... who is in love... well with both of them....

*damn what a dark vision*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom