The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tokei-ihto

What will #teamyennefer do, if Yennefer tries to kill / sacrifice Cirilla? Because Ciri is just too
"dangerous" for the world? Same for #teamtriss ??

Hm? What will you do?
What if Triss warns interfere with that intention ? Or Yennefer interferes with Triss intention?
See what i mean?

Yes i count in that Yennefer is like a mother for Cirilla and Cirilla is like a daughter for Yennefer

Exactly that is the reason why i just ll wait how our relationship with both of them will develeop in TW3.
Because Cirilla > Yennefer and Triss for Geralt!

YOU KNOW THIS IS TRUE! :p :p

*damn what a dark vision*

Yenn will never ever damage Ciri even if she destroys the complete universe. She sacrified her ambitions and status, when her "sisters" were getting the true power, for Ciri, so that's not an option, and i'm pretty sure CDPR know that.

Yenn will never ever damage Ciri even if she destroys the complete universe. She sacrified her ambitions and status, when her "sisters" were getting the true power, for Ciri, so that's not an option, and i'm pretty sure CDPR know that.

Is that so? ... you don t know how Yennefer developed during the years we were seperated.
You might not know what influences her... forgot that the wild hunt effects the mind?

And if you say this for Yennefer ... THIS also counts for Triss for sure, she also sacrifices her
ambitions and status to stay with Geralt... so since she also stays close to Ciri it will be the same

because she did that, she got isolated and only told "filtered" informations from her "sisters"

As i said we don t know how the circumstances will play out... and how this will turn out.
I also said... this just a "dark vision" so its really that hehehe nothing more :p

Last edited:
Is that so? ... you don t know how Yennefer developed during the years we were seperated.
You might not know what influences here... forgot that the wild hunt effects the mind?

And if you say this for Yennefer ... THIS also counts for Triss for sure, she also sacrifices her
ambitions and status to stay with Geralt... so since she also stays close to Ciri it will be the same

because she did that, she got isolated and only told "filtered" informations from her "sisters"

As i said we don t know how the circumstances will play out... and how this will turn out.
I also said... this just a "dark vision" so its really that hehehe nothing more :p

I do know how Yennefer was for her long life and how did just changed all that for "her" child, don't think anything she did suffer with the WH would change that. Except she's not Yennefer anymore. And surely doesn't count the same way for Triss, she did a different choice, even she thought it was for good it wasn't.

Ofc we don't know all the circumstances but i trust CDPR will honor the characters and how they trully are.

@Tokei-ihto
What will #teamyennefer do, if Yennefer tries to kill / sacrifice Cirilla? Because Ciri is just too
"dangerous" for the world? Same for #teamtriss ??

Hm? What will you do?
What if Triss warns interfere with that intention ? Or Yennefer interferes with Triss intention?
See what i mean?

Yes i count in that Yennefer is like a mother for Cirilla and Cirilla is like a daughter for Yennefer

Well, obviously CDPR could come up with a number of moral dilemmas and emotional quandarys. However, concerning your quote, this would be a complete undermining of Yennefer's character and everything she stands for. Yen has given up basically everything she once held dear for Ciri. I can't think of a possible situation were Yennefer - having recovered her memory and being in complete control of her senses - would deliberately harm her. She would rather die (and so would Geralt), as we know only too well.
So I highly doubt CDPR will do something similar to what you just described unless they want to facilitate conflict in the most contrived way possible for the sake of forcing the player into an impossible situation. But not only do I think that CDPR has simply too much respect for the characters to go down this road, they also are experienced enough storytellers to not fall back on such cheap tactics.

With that being said, I understand your point. And even if I'm not going to romance Triss, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be destroyed if I were forced to make a decision - perhaps even one that doesn't immediatedly announce itself as being of grave importance - that could lead to the possible death of her.

Edit: Yeah, what Crivilnite said.

Last edited:
Well i don t say that this is a thing that will happen for sure.
And since some heavy clashes in RL happen between family members they love each other.
Why it can not happen between them? Because the BOOKs say so? Pffff please....

You know all characters we discuss here have a strong will and love each other.
But that doesn t prevent what i said... there are always things they can turn out in a huge clash.

Triss did make sure some mistakes, but she would sure put her life in the line for Cirilla i have no doubt
in that. I also can t say what would turn Yennefer or Triss against Cirilla and Geralt... i can t say what must
happen that one of them says... i have no choice... i love them but if i don t act now we all are doomed....

Maybe Eredin himself can influence them in some way? "Convincing" them Ciri is better with him or death?
Who knows? And yes since Eredin has "mental altering" powers TW3 Yennefer might not be Book (after last wish)
Yennefer any more...

The point is ... we can t say... thats all what i stand for here ;) and that everybody dicussing in this thread just
should follow his heart... and his own decisions.... isn t that what the witcher is all about?

;)

which can lead to the death of someone... or harming loved ones.

Last edited:
Well i don t say that this is a definatly thing that will happen.
And since some heavy clashes in RL happen between family members they love each other.

You know all characters we discuss here have a strong will and love each other.
But that doesn t prevent what i said... there are always things they can turn out in a huge clash.

Triss did make sure some mistakes, but she would sure put her life in the line for Cirilla i have no doubt
in that. I also can t say what would turn Yennefer or Triss against Cirilla and Geralt... i can t say what must
happen that one of them says... i have no choice... i love them but if i don t act now we all are doomed....

Maybe Eredin himself can influence them in some way? "Convincing" them Ciri is better with him or death?
Who knows? And yes since Eredin has "mental altering" powers TW3 Yennefer might not be Book (after last wish)
Yennefer any more...

The point is ... we can t say... thats all what i stand for here ;) and that everybody dicussing in this thread just
should follow his heart... and his own decisions.... isn t that what the witcher is all about?

;)

which can lead to the death of someone... or harming loved ones.

Well, you are just guessing options which are just against pure character nature and development. Everything is possible? sure thing, that doesn't mean everything is equally coherent or interesting.

1- Geralt and Yen have suffer longer separations. They survived from them.
2 - If CDPR introduce Yennefer for not be longer Yennefer it would be a real game suicide for a large majority of fans.
3 - Assuming CDPR respect the fate of Ciri and the feelings and personality of Geralt despite his ammnesia, why the hell will be different for Yen's character?
4 - BUT as CDPR made absolutely up Triss' character from the books for the sake of I don't know what, that opens differents paths for GEralt (which doesn't mean I'll be agreed to follow them without deep statements and reasonable as long as they fit in Geralt character).

As I always said, I believe that CDPR writers of TW3 have founded themself in a plot trap because of the first TW1 story surrounding Triss. Find the balanced solution for those who only played the games and only can see Triss as the perffec lover, and those who read the books and felt in love with Yen's character and all her inner evolution, is the hardest work for them. I want have a hard and huge dilemma if there's a choice to do. I don't want a pre-ordered touristic tour.

No graphics wars, no system combats, no system alchemy, no filled open-world....

convincing consistency without convoluted arabesques so the player can accept one or another choice beyond their previous preferences

Well, you are just guessing options which are just against pure character nature and development. Everything is possible? sure thing, that doesn't mean everything is equally coherent or interesting.

Well the "behavior" i mentioned ... for the Yennefer BEFORE the last wish was spoken .... its definatly possible
Don t forget that only

Geralts "sacrifice" aka last wish

might have changed her and her path during the following books ;) How things had been turned out when

Yennefer would have catched the Djinn and her wish for a own child would ve been granted

can you say it for sure? Don t think so... i think "this" Yennefer is slumbering deep down in her...
Just like everybody has to deal with his own darkness in his/ her hearts ....

But i admit... if Yen / Triss would take such a turn.... this is a hell of a story then made up by CDPR

Find the balanced solution for those who only played the games and only can see Triss as the perffec lover, and those who read the books and felt in love with Yen's character and all her inner evolution, is the hardest work for them. I want have a hard and huge dilemma if there's a choice to do. I don't want a pre-ordered touristic tour.

Very well said my lovely cat lady

Last edited:
Well i don t say that this is a definatly thing that will happen.

Well, this hypothetical family has to be quite dysfunctional if they're ready to kill each other, even if it's for the greater good. ;) Judging by reports (and Hollywood conventions :D) people, especially parents, will actually behave absolutely irrational when some family member is in peril, risking their own life and that of others in order to save their child/spouse/parent. The "the lives of the many outweigh the lives of the few" logic doesn't apply when someone who is dear to your heart is in mortal danger. People are emotional beings. They'd rather let many innocents die if it gave them an opportunity to save their loved ones.

And given how emotionally invested both Geralt and Yennefer are when it comes to Ciri, I doubt their actions would be governed by common sense. I think those two would do a lot of morally questionable things just to secure Ciri's safety and well-being.

in that.

Oh sure, Triss views Ciri basically as her little sister. She even uses that exact term at one point in the books if I'm not mistaken. I'm certain she wouldn't harm her intentionally.

can you say it for sure? Don t think so... i think "this" Yennefer is slumbering deep down in her...
Just like everybody has to deal with his own darkness in his/ her hearts ...

I think that by the end of Lady of the Lake all major character have developed to a point were they couldn't just go back to the way they were at the beginning of their respective journeys. Even, Triss, who, as I mentioned before, wasn't the most complex character (comparatively speaking), underwent this beautiful mini-arc that found its poetic conclusion during the progrom in Rivia. And this holds true for Geralt, Ciri, Yarpen, Zoltan, even goddam Dandelion (okay, Dandelion is debatable :lol: ), but it applies in particular to Yennefer who was irrevocably changed by the events that occured and, overall, has probably evolved the most out of the core characters. Sure, I'm not denying that there still might be hints of her pre-Last Wish self and a slumbering darkness, as you put it. In fact, I sincerly hope that this is the case. Yennefer is a complex woman, being a strong-willed, vain, oftentimes stubborn and quick-tempered individual is part of her charm. However, I fail to see what this has to do with her taking extreme actions that would put the people she cares most about in the world in mortal danger.

Also, there's a point where a character, if changed too much from what was established before, ceases to be that character. A personality transformation has to make sense internally and can't just be forced upon a character purely for the sake of creating drama and conflict.

Yennefer any more...

Um ... In the realm of possibility ... I guess. However, having a character, in this case Yennefer, commit horrible acts under mind control and/or threaten Ciri so that Geralt is forced to chose between letting his adoptive daughter die or killing the woman he loves would be, again, a cheap gimmick that goes for an unearned emotional gut punch. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of some character (for instance Eredin) exerting power over someone's thoughts - after all, Witcher 2 did this in form of a spell already, and did it rather well I'd argue - but this has to be handled carefully. In the end, it's always more satisfying to see a character make a choice 1) out of his own violition and 2) with the best of intentions. A tragedy that stems from misguided aspiration, miscalculation and or simply bad luck is much more powerful than a Kobayashi Maru* no-win situation, especially if you are completely aware of the circumstances and know that you lose either way. And so far, CDPR has actually proven that they understand this. Most of the choices in the previous games have offered Geralt the opportunity to make either a selfish decision (let's say, save Triss, extort money), an altruistic, noble one (free Saskia from the spell, rescue civilians) or something in-between. Geralt has made decisions in good conscience that backfired horribly due to some unknown factors or unforseeable events that unfolded, sometimes he made egoistical ones that benefited on party and put another at an pretty awful disadvantage. And occasionally the outcome was undesirable no matter what Geralt did - but never to the extend that you felt completely screwed or betrayed by the game.

*Apropos Kobayashi Maru. One possibility for an acceptable no-win situation would be Geralt pulling a Kirk - a.k.a. cheating :D - and finding a third, so far unthought of option. After all, he kinda already did this once in "The Last Wish". Or, if one were more inclined towards a negative interpretation, a situation could arise in which one of the ladies (Triss/Yennefer/Ciri) sacrifices herself before Geralt can make the call. This obviously should be somehow connected to a prior decision that Geralt has made (unbeknownst of the later outcome), since you want to have a certain amount of influence - even if it's indirect - over the events in the game.

By the way, I'm NOT saying that there shouldn't be any hard, morally problematic or ethical dubious choices in the Witcher 3 (or that characters can't die), just that there is a fine balance between providing what I consider a "hard" choice and one that could be summerized as "it doesn't matter, you lose either way, tell your psychologist I said hello".

But all this is - of course - not to say that I can't comprehend someone chosing Triss over Yen - even if he/she has read the books. And while I do have a strong opinion about the topic, it would be especially crazy to criticize someone who tries to go into the game open-minded. :)

Last edited:
Hah... we all will cry a river during the playthrough of TW3 i am sure!

No matter what opinion we have now!
#TeamYennefer
#TeamTriss
#TeamRathernotChooseatallshowmeCDPR

We all gonna suffer for our wishes ... to bring them back!! I can almost feel the tension.

With all the complaining of downgrades all over the place, I couldn't care less if TW3 went 8-bit as long as they keep Yennefer Yennefer. My main concern is how well she's written and implemented into the story. I REALLY hope they don't mess her up because I've been waiting three games for her now. :p

If they go the route of making her do ridiculous out of character things due to amnesia or some other lazy plot device, they might as well just use a different character as far as I'm concerned. There are some things that she would just never do and I hope they don't change that for the sake of an equalizer relating to the Yennefer/Triss choice.

With all the complaining of downgrades all over the place, I couldn't care less if TW3 went 8-bit as long as they keep Yennefer Yennefer. My main concern is how well she's written and implemented into the story. I REALLY hope they don't mess her up because I've been waiting three games for her now. :p

If they go the route of making her do ridiculous out of character things due to amnesia or some other lazy plot device, they might as well just use a different character as far as I'm concerned. There are some things that she would just never do and I hope they don't change that for the sake of an equalizer relating to the Yennefer/Triss choice.

For sure Yennfer is Yennefer.

For all of you who are talking about some "darknes" inside Yenn I can tell - read books once more time. You are mistaken. Though I agree Yenn is a very complex character that hide her true self in small details across all saga. And in order to see her true self you need to be very very careful. Try to re-read her arc on Skelige islads. It's one of the key part to better understand her character.

I can understand those who think that she is just a wicked evil bitch :D but it's not true.

For all of you who are talking about some "darknes" inside Yenn I can tell - read books once more time. You are mistaken. Though I agree Yenn is a very complex character that hide her true self in small details across all saga. And in order to see her true self you need to be very very careful. Try to re-read her arc on Skelige islads. It's one of the key part to better understand her character.

I can understand those who think that she is just a wicked evil bitch :D but it's not true.

You know Geralt sees her true self, short before he does THE LAST WISH right? And you also know he
has seen the darkness within her. But (as i give it in for Triss) Yennefer develops during the book saga.
And all what i say is: Why give this point to Yennefer but not to Triss? hm? Or even Geralt? :p

But well 19. 5. is upcoming ... we will see then :p

I'm about to finish re-reading books as we speak, couldn't resist to post this quote here:
Yennefer flicked her horse with her whip in anger. The animal whinnied and leapt and the sorceress swayed in her saddle.
'Enough talk,' she snapped. 'more humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, to stop thinking about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character … As of right now, right now! Oh I want to grab you by your matted red hair …'
'Try it!' screamed Triss. 'Just try it, you vindictive bitch and I'll scratch out your eyes!' I …'
Can't wait for these two ladies get together in game :D

I'm about to finish re-reading books as we speak, couldn't resist to post this quote here:
Yennefer flicked her horse with her whip in anger. The animal whinnied and leapt and the sorceress swayed in her saddle.
'Enough talk,' she snapped. 'more humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, to stop thinking about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character … As of right now, right now! Oh I want to grab you by your matted red hair …'
'Try it!' screamed Triss. 'Just try it, you vindictive bitch and I'll scratch out your eyes!' I …'

Though it must also be said that they subsequently
stood side by side "on the hill at Sodden" (ably played by a small mound by the side of Lake Escalot) and faced their inner fears. I don't think Yennefer still fears the dark (because of her blindness), or Triss her appearance (because of her long gone scarring).
They may also have found some accommodation with each other through their mutual revelation/discovery and shared pain at Geralt's subsequent "death".

Personally I still don't like or trust Triss. It is clear she is manipulative, selfish and has repeatedly tried to use Geralt's amnesia to put one over on him (the existence of the lodge, not mentioning that she wasn't really Geralt's long term lover (a once only thing, accomplished with a glamour during a brief separation between Geralt and Yennefer, prior to the events of any of the novels), not commenting on the similarity between Cirilla and Alvin (in conspiracy with the Lodge via mirror).

My starting premise is that Geralt and Yennefer's fates remain interlinked, and will do until they both die. Partly because of the Djinn, but at least as much now because of sharing Cirilla. *maybe* that will change as events unfold, but this is how I expect my journey to begin at least.

Yes, about that, little reminder: Yennefer was really mad at Triss after what happened in chapter 9 of Tower of the Swallow. So her old rage and mistrust crawled back. Her outburst was packed with a snip of having been betrayed by a person she considered a friend.
Because it's easy to notice how much she doesn't care anymore (*insert Time of Contempt reference here*) about what happened in the past between Geralt and Triss, also because she and Triss are good friends and they'll always be.

After Rivia, I think they could be friends again, I'm curious to see that.

:p

I don't read the books and have terrible memory but, didn't Yennefer lost her memory too ?

Yes... everybody who get near the WH have to deal with this issue... just listen to Letho in TW2
when you talk to him in chapter 3

But, as the same Geralt recover his memory Yen ecover her... Dammit. it must be easier for her because her telepathy skill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom