Witcher 3 from first person

+
Witcher 3 from first person

Would this be interesting to play The Witcher 3 from first person camera? Imagine Big open world, beautiful vistas, amazing landscapes, first person sword fighting, horse riding and so on from Geralt's eyes. I think this would be cool. And i think many fans think like me. At least i hope so. So this is interesting, is it possible to make first person mod with REDKIT for witcher game? If yes, is it worth it to make this mod? How do you think?

Yes, if you don't want enjoy of Geralt's moves and swings, maybe you find a mod for it in the future. I personally won't try it.

I totally ok with Geralt's movements and animations and i like them. But i think it would be interesting to play as first person too. I can't do it myself. So i asked can anybody do it? Or is this even possible?

TW2 has a mod that lets you use 1st person camera but the game is clearly made for 3rd person view.

I personally think a first person view would take away from the game. Especially when it comes to Geralt's more... flamboyant move-set. Those are obviously made to be viewed and admired from a third person perspective.

Another concern is how would you transfer that move-set to a first person view? All that spinning in FP will surely get someone motion sick. So I don't know.

As for it being possible to mod in. Don't really know what freedoms and capabilities the new REDkit will bring, so hard to tell what is possible or what isn't at this point.

Its very likely possible, and also very likely not worth the effort of doing it right/acceptably.

But there are always crazy unthinkable mods out there for many games so maybe someone will do it.

Personally Im not interested.

In my opinion the only thing such a mod could do is break all the combat mechanics... The combat are design in a strange way and I don't think such mod would be playable. Fun for sure but wouldn't make a good game mod. I think...

I'm not going to demand first person camera through the game, but temporary perspective (like Batman) will be pleased. I want to see all-handcrafted-open-world closely as much as possible.

Only time I think a first person view could be useful is when inside buidings, taverns, shops and the like. It's sometimes easier to navigate and look around when in first person view inside a building.

I prefer the third person view myself.

Interesting idea, but comes with some serious problems, and the most important of which is probably that we don't know to what extents the Redkit will allow us to modify the game. And there'd be one huge pile of changes to make for a 1st Person mod.

First you'd have to redo/modify most of Geralts animations. That alone could prove more than difficult; I don't even know if we'll gain access to the animations at all (but I hope so...^^). And, even more of a problem, the modder would have to change the whole fighting system, and I'm not talking about animations alone, I'm talking about balancing as well.
By now I know of exactly one and a half games that came up with a somehow "good" 1st person melee combat: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and, not as good but still "okayish", Dishonored. Every other game I know of that tried to do sword fights from a 1st person view has failed (and yes, I'm lookind especially at you, Bethesda...^^).

In 1st person view, you're just way too limited in your perception. You can't see anything "from the corner of your eye", as you perhaps would in the real world, you can only see through the small 16:9 window that is your screen. It's nearly imperative that the player sooner or later (mostly sooner) will come to a point where he's surrounded by enemies (the half of which he can't see from first person view...) or maneuvered himself into some corner because he had no grasp on his surroundings. Not good at all.

By all means: That doesn't mean that it's not possible - it most definitely is. But it is really, really hard to do, at least if you want to do it in a way that actually results in enjoyable gameplay.
Well, that said... I have no doubt at all that someone somewhere will try to do it nonetheless - at least if the future Redkit is capable of it. ;-)

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a first-person-view toggleable option outside of combat and cutscenes.
I strongly doubt that CD Projekt themselves will give us such an option, but I'm almost sure that soon enough after the new RedKit gets released someone will mod it in.

I would probably use FirstPerson when out of combat, just walking around towns see things up close.
But i wouldn't trust it during combat.

First you'd have to redo/modify most of Geralts animations. That alone could prove more than difficult; I don't even know if we'll gain access to the animations at all (but I hope so...^^). And, even more of a problem, the modder would have to change the whole fighting system, and I'm not talking about animations alone, I'm talking about balancing as well.

In 1st person view, you're just way too limited in your perception. You can't see anything "from the corner of your eye", as you perhaps would in the real world, you can only see through the small 16:9 window that is your screen. It's nearly imperative that the player sooner or later (mostly sooner) will come to a point where he's surrounded by enemies (the half of which he can't see from first person view...) or maneuvered himself into some corner because he had no grasp on his surroundings. Not good at all.

By all means: That doesn't mean that it's not possible - it most definitely is. But it is really, really hard to do, at least if you want to do it in a way that actually results in enjoyable gameplay.
Well, that said... I have no doubt at all that someone somewhere will try to do it nonetheless - at least if the future Redkit is capable of it. ;-)

This

Not only whats been said here, but it also takes away spatial awareness and range of motion which are the pillars in which combat stands on. The animations would be extremely limited to make it first person friendly, and the enemy AI would have to be limited if not redesigned just for the sake of a view :/

Its almost like people don't make an effort to be sound in their thinking when they say "hey Witcher from 1st person", its more about being a trendy conformist instead of it being a sound idea

Not only whats been said here, but it also takes away spatial awareness and range of motion which are the pillars in which combat stands on. The animations would be extremely limited to make it first person friendly, and the enemy AI would have to be limited if not redesigned just for the sake of a view :/

Its almost like people don't make an effort to be sound in their thinking when they say "hey Witcher from 1st person", its more about being a trendy conformist instead of it being a sound idea
I think that in the OP (as in most of the subsequent posts in this thread) the inclusion of the first person view option outside combat/cutscenes was discussed, in which case your objections don't really apply.

It would be good to have a screenshot mode, removing Geralt as well as the HUD elements. I think that's all that we really need.

it also takes away spatial awareness
which first person game doesn't? it's part of the challenge, knowing what's around you and where to stand.
but yeah, a game made for third person can't be easily ported to first person combat-wise.

I have no problems with third-person games, but I think the best way to explore a world is in first person. if there was an option in the game by default, I would probably mostly use fps.

Top Bottom