Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually that's not entirely true, I read in other preview that the leap is stil present if you maintain the attack key, same goes withe the roll if you maintain the dodge key.

That's true, I wrote about it myself in one of my posts. But aside of leaps activated via holding the button, there is no autoaim. You need to get close to the enemy and face him on your own in order to attack him normally, so it's very easy to miss. Kinda like in Dark Souls.

Did you play with a controller perhaps, thats something that always intrigued me, how TW2 plays with that.
I am a PC gamer, so I've finished the game 3 times with mouse and keyboard. But I used a PS3 controller using the Motioninjoy software on my 4th playthrough, and I've got to say that the controller felt much better than KB/M in general especially in combat. I would go as far as saying that I think the combat was designed mainly for the controller, although I might be wrong and it might have been a coincidence. My first playthrough was actually the original release on hard and with KB/M, and it was a bit frustrating at times. My second and third playthroughs were the Enhanced Edition version on Dark mode with KB/M, and I started to like the combat. My 4th one was Enhanced Edition on Dark mode and with the PS4 controller.

Fist fighting sounds interesting, I'm curious to see the animations for that.
That feigned retreat must have been a bug of some sort, though.

Exactly. I imagined Geralt in Fist fighting before i knew this already existed in game. When i knew this is actual gameplay part, it suprised me.

Ah-ha! Yes! And I hope that a lot of that humor comes from Geralt. Cheeky Geralt is the only Geralt.

I remember reading this too and I hope it's still in.

I like his strafing very, very much, and I think it's done in a good pace. But regardless, I don't see why you can't do what you just described. In some videos Geralt sprints into battle. Like when facing the drowners after Johnny, or the bandits after Gran. I believe it's just the player that decided afterwards to strafe, but I don't believe the game prevents you from sprinting, or even running, when Geralt is in his combat mode.

I wouldn't call him sluggish, just cautious, and that's fine. He's careful at first and then once you attack you can jump around the battlefield like a monkey and deliver a quick series of blows.

Combat looks great to me. I only hope that the melee can be developed to have more options than just light \ heavy.

Yeah. Long evade => roll. Long sign => alt use (I think). Long light => close the distance (I hope it's still in). I'm wondering if they also gave heavy attack an alt action. TW's melee can and should be developed beyond just light and heavy.

wouldnt be surprised if long heavy is even heavier slower strike or decapitation/finisher.

I am a PC gamer, so I've finished the game 3 times with mouse and keyboard. But I used a PS3 controller using the Motioninjoy software on my 4th playthrough, and I've got to say that the controller felt much better than KB/M in general especially in combat. I would go as far as saying that I think the combat was designed mainly for the controller, although I might be wrong and it might have been a coincidence. My first playthrough was actually the original release on hard and with KB/M, and it was a bit frustrating at times. My second and third playthroughs were the Enhanced Edition version on Dark mode with KB/M, and I started to like the combat. My 4th one was Enhanced Edition on Dark mode and with the PS4 controller.

With me it's on the contrary the opposite - I play most games now with the Xbox360 gamepad, even most shooters I play this style, but with W2 I always use M+K.. I tried to play with the gamepad, but it never felt so responsive and good as with M+K - especialy the combat was way better with M+K than with gamepad

Marcin said in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldi4mE1i_Yc that weight will PROGRESIVLY slow you down, and that sounds great to me. In witcher 2 when you carry too much weight you can no longer run, you can only walk, but as far as I understand from this video, in Witcher 3 you will move faster when you carry less equipment, so it makes sense when you go monster hunting or in some dungeon to carry only essentials with you, so you could fight (run) better and faster

I always hated the autoleap on TW2, same as i did on Shadow of Mordor and Batman. If you compare it to Dark Souls 2 where:
1) Left click, has an attack
3 )Right click a different attack, especially if you dual weild, or block.
2) Double left click has a different strong attack
3) Double right click another different strong attack, or a parry
4) Forward+click, different attack-> Guard break
5) Forward+double click, different attack-> jump attack
6) backstep+click, different attack-> backstep attack
7) Roll+click different attack-> roll attack
8 )Running+ click, different attak-> running attack

So 8 basic attack patterns, all completely controlable by the player and the buttons pressed. If you count that 2 handing the same weapon will give a different set of attacks, strong attacks if chained have a follow up different attack, you can also use magic, and situational attacks, like plunging attack, backstab or riposte, you have a rediculous amount of attacks, all 100% manually controled by the player

On TW2 you had:
1) Double Click: Strong attack, completely controlable
2) Single Click: A set of randomly generated attacks, with auto leaping, where you had 0 control over them :/

That's why i am really hoping that TW3's combat is closer to DS rather than batman, and i am glad that some reviewers thought that this is the case. Autoleap, followed with an automated random hit is the worst thing to do in my hoinest opinion.

That's why i am really hoping that TW3's combat is closer to DS rather than batman, and i am glad that some reviewers thought that this is the case. Autoleap, followed with an automated random hit is the worst thing to do in my hoinest opinion.
In a few videos I noticed that TW3 has autoleap and autospin as well. It's basically the TW2's combat just with more animations :/

In a few videos I noticed that TW3 has autoleap and autospin as well. It's basically the TW2's combat just with more animations :/

And judging by the impressions I read, you are totally wrong. There is no autoleap and autospin, the combat system may look similar, but plays completely different then in The Witcher 2. The spin attack that Geralt is doing in the recent gameplay is some sort of special ability (as it drains his adrenaline) activated after drinking potion, he doesn't just do it randomly. Leap attack is perfomed by holding the button, so it's also in player control.

Anyone knows can we expect some other videos from Gamespot an other journalists(with maybe glimps of gameplay) or that IMHO useless 6 minutes was the last one? And when new dev. diary will be released? Its almost the end of March. For now the best articles was Miles Tost interview, that german article and the one from russian fans from gamer.ru.

We still have a full Month ahead of us.
I'm pretty sure we will seen new footage and info until the release of the game.
But you know how CDPR is with info, they don't want us to know more than we actually need too, and i don't blame them.

We just need to be patient

I think CDPR was actually generous with information. It's hard for me to say because I don't have anything to compare it with - I don't follow any other games as closely - but considering we're a month and a half away from release, and that is the period where the main bulk of marketing takes place, I feel we have a very nice amount of information and videos.

Yeah.the hands-on session gives a good points for new treads. But mostly about story quests and maybe combat. All the other mechanics-looting, shopping, gear crafting /upgrading and levlling system still mostly untold. So as many other mechanics-minigames, trade/bargain , relationships with girls and how it can affect the gameplay for example. We already saw more than enough spoiler information about the prologue side quests .

Yeah.the hands-on session gives a good points for new treads. But mostly about story quests and maybe combat. All the other mechanics-looting, shopping, gear crafting /upgrading and levlling system still mostly untold. So as many other mechanics-minigames, trade/bargain , relationships with girls and how it can affect the gameplay for example. We already saw more than enough spoiler information about the prologue side quests .

We need the next Kinley's Q&A

For what? In all Q&A we allways asks the same questions and get the same answers. It has the point only in one condition-when all the designers gathers in one place and can answer on question that really suits to their speciality.

For what? In all Q&A we allways asks the same questions and get the same answers. It has the point only in one condition-when all the designers gathers in one place and can answer on question that really suits to their speciality.

What you described that is mostly untold is the Gameplay basically (Except combat part that we know already), Next Q&A is with Damien aka Senior Gameplay Designer.

I beg to differ. The latest Q&A with Miles was very interesting, even if it did not contain that much new information. I can't wait for the next one with Damien, I've seen a lot of good questions, and if he asks them as well as Miles did, it will be one hell of a read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom