Review Embargos

+
Thank you

OK, then I really don't care. TW3 is the second game (firsts was TW2) I preorder without any need of reviews. This odd trust on CDPR of mine! :rolleyes:

Just for your information, German magazine Gamestar expects Witcher 3 for review in their next issue which will be published at the end of April...

About reviews: I think Steam user reviews were one of the best inventions in the sphere of game reviews in the past 10 years or so. Of course there are a lot of troll or fun posts but the average is usually quite ok and there are some really, really well written reviews to be found there. And usually the recommendation system (how many likes a review gets) works quite well so you really get good reviews at the top. In my experience reading about 10 to 20 such user reviews gives you a quite good insight into the game and whether you'll probably like it or not. Only problem is of course that you can't expect such reviews before release or even shortly after. For a game like Witcher the first serious and in-depth reviews can't be expected until at least one or two weeks after release.

Seriously. Steam reviews are fantastic. And accurate. Pillars of Eternity has 95% positive reviews. Yay.

There was a game recently, that I can't remember specifically for the life of me, where the devs allowed "full" reviews in terms of gameplay, tech, general progression, etc, but they had put a spoiler policy in place that kept reviewers from displaying or discussing story details beyond a certain early point of the game. That allowed them to still give their overall impressions for the review without spoiling anything for people that were more interested in the story. Maybe CDPR could do something similar.

Honestly, for this game, I'll only be reading/watching reviews to get some more media and to hear people gush about it. It's not like I'm still up in the air on whether I'll be buying it or not.

There was a game recently, that I can't remember specifically for the life of me, where the devs allowed "full" reviews in terms of gameplay, tech, general progression, etc, but they had put a spoiler policy in place that kept reviewers from displaying or discussing story details beyond a certain early point of the game. That allowed them to still give their overall impressions for the review without spoiling anything for people that were more interested in the story. Maybe CDPR could do something similar.

Honestly, for this game, I'll only be reading/watching reviews to get some more media and to hear people gush about it. It's not like I'm still up in the air on whether I'll be buying it or not.

Erm... Thats what every review is. They dont spoil even games like CoD where people dont really care about story. I think you might be mistaking review with walkthrough.

I've seen enough gameplay and heard plenty about the game, and I really enjoyed TW2. I want to read a few reviews by someone who has played to the end of the game at least once and played it on the platform I'll be playing on. Not just the score, but an impression of the game as a whole.

Erm... Thats what every review is. They dont spoil even games like CoD where people dont really care about story. I think you might be mistaking review with walkthrough.
No, this one was very specific, because the reviews even pointed out "We can't show you most of the cool stuff because they won't let us". As you said, most reviews hold to those rules anyway, but with this game it was specifically mentioned as a heavy restriction in almost every review I read. I don't know, what are some big story-driven games from the last six months or so? It was one of them. Order 1886, maybe, I can't remember.

I think early embargo lift would be great for the initial sales AND for the sales of the previous two games.

I mean, I am sure most of us have seen a sharp increase of interest in the franchise over the last two years since the third game was announced.

But if people see perfect scores all over the place a couple of weeks before the W3 release then they may want to buy the first two games to get in on the story.

But if people see perfect scores all over the place a couple of weeks before the W3 release then they may want to buy the first two games to get in on the story.

WEEKS before the game comes out? Hell no. Make it days and then we're talking.

I'd say set the embargo on the day the game comes out and give out review copies one week...maybe two but that' pushing it given that there's going to be a day 1 patch.

You trust that professional reviewers know what they're discussing,

I would argue that based on past history with TW series and the way they conduct interviews for the game that the mainstream gaming media has no fucking clue what they are talking about and I certainly would encourage everyone to not give a damn what they have to say about TW3, good or bad.

Last edited:
I also don't think that reviews coming out weeks in advance is good. It's hard to maintain excitement for that long. It will fizzle by release.

I just think reviews should be written after testing on an already released videogame or at least when it went "gold"... otherwise it's a preview imho.

Now that the game has gone gold and I'm sure reviewers are getting copies, I thought I'd bump this thread.

We're about 4 weeks away. Any information on when review embargoes will be lifted? Would be great to see cdpr lift them a few days before release.

Now that the game has gone gold and I'm sure reviewers are getting copies, I thought I'd bump this thread.

We're about 4 weeks away. Any information on when review embargoes will be lifted? Would be great to see cdpr lift them a few days before release.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that they've not decided on a certain date yet, but assured it would be before release day.

Youtubers have an April 27th embargo on their recorded footage. Not quite the same as external review copies of the gold version and the formal reviews, but certainly an indication that under CDPR aren't afraid of the review outcomes.

Top Bottom