The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
@Neeedles My current MB is Asus P8Z68-V LX but as I said before I won't upgrade this rig, I just got my new big tower today. You are from Czech Republic aswell so you know that I7 is ridiculously expensive here, so the Xeon is better option (I guess).

Last edited:
My laptop is 4 years old now and it is dying. and the witcher 3 is gonna be released soon. So Iam gonna kill two birds with one stone and buy a gaming laptop. But Iam a novice, so I got a few questions I'd hope you help me with. Thank you in advance for helping.

1 ) What's considered better between : Asus and MSI ?
2 ) I can get a 8gb ram with a 980 or a 16gb ram with 970. What's best?
3 ) Is a SSD really that important for gaming?

and the last question :

4 ) Do you think new better gaming laptop will be released in May or June ? with better graphic card. I'd hate to buy a laptop in april to see that there are better ones released one or two months later. I can wait until june. I know its not really a question you can answer knowing there's no certainty, but I just need an idea, something to point me in the right direction. Thanks again. And sorry if some of those questions are "stupid" :)

I would love to make it mine. It would become my precious. my precious. my precious. wait what? Unfortunatly it's out of my price range :D

My laptop is 4 years old now and it is dying. and the witcher 3 is gonna be released soon. So Iam gonna kill two birds with one stone and buy a gaming laptop. But Iam a novice, so I got a few questions I'd hope you help me with. Thank you in advance for helping.

and the last question :

4 ) Do you think new better gaming laptop will be released in May or June ? with better graphic card. I'd hate to buy a laptop in april to see that there are better ones released one or two months later. I can wait until june. I know its not really a question you can answer knowing there's no certainty, but I just need an idea, something to point me in the right direction. Thanks again. And sorry if some of those questions are "stupid" :)

I'll take a stab, although I usually don't recommend laptops for serious gaming and I don't know nearly as much about them as I do desktop PC hardware..

1) Asus and MSI are two well known Taiwanese companies that make a wide variety of computer and electronic parts. As such, the quality between them is practically identical, although Asus usually carries a slightly higher premium as it's the more dominant manufacturer..

2) I would go for the 980 with 8GB of RAM. Raw computational power and GPU bandwidth are more important for game performance, and 8GB should definitely be enough. If it isn't, then you can always close as many unnecessary programs as possible when running the Witcher 3.

3) I wouldn't say an SSD is important for gaming. We've been gaming for most of our lives without them afterall. They help out tremendously with random access (WAY faster than mechanical drives in that respect) and load times, so they definitely improve the overall gaming experience.

If you're gaming on a laptop though, I would definitely try to get one since laptops tend to have slow HDDs..

4) There's always something better coming around the corner in the tech industry. If we all waited for the "next best thing," we'd all have nothing to game on.. I say buy the best hardware you can afford and don't look back..

---------- Updated at 08:11 AM ----------

Test..

significantly

Weird, spelling the word sig-ni-fica-ntly comes up with a totally different spelling on the forum now.. Maybe the forum is mixing Polish words with english ones :D

Last edited:
First of all, thank you.
I know desktop PC are recommended for gaming but Iam a nomad type of guy, so Laptop it is :p

I knew I was doing the right thing asking you guys my questions, for example I would have bought the 16gb 970, thinking more ram is better. I will take into account everything you have told me, and you are right, I will buy the best I can afford and won't look back. I just needed another voice to tell me that.

Thanks again.

Question:

I have an Asus ROG G750JX which I bought in 2013.

I think it covers all the minimum requirements for the Witcher 3, since it I have 24 GB of DDR3 ram, and it carries an i7-4800HQ CPU.
However, I'm concerned since it has Geforce 770m GPU, which from what I understand is slightly weaker than a Geforce 660.

Will the game be able to run on minimum settings (e.g. I overclock, add SSD etc.)?

Thank you in advance

can i run it with my rig?

I7 3770K @4.6
DDR3 Gskil Trident x 16 G 4x$ @2400
Nvidia GTX780 MSI twinfrozen OC ed @1100

i hope to run it on High with some ultra at 1080P 30 FPS

HP Z230 i7-4790
ASUS STRIX-GTX980
INTEL 730 SSD 240GB + 1TB WD
16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Got a sweet deal. Bring it on Witcher :)

Hopefully can do ultra at 40-50 frames per second, especially since I am still at 1440 x 900.

AMD FX 8370
SLI GTX 760 w/ 4 gig vram each
16 gig ddr3
750 watt Corsair psu

Last edited:

and the last question :

Do you have room for a desktop PC at your home? The point is that for the price of a gaming laptop you can buy a better gaming desktop PC and a somewhat decent non-gaming laptop if you need it for work/studies/travel.

@jerf.674
Unfortunatly no. I travel a lot, and I can stay a long time away for home sometimes. I can't be 2 or 3 months without gaming or else. I want it all in one, so it's better for me to get a laptop I think. I hope you won't be offended, I appreciate your opinion :)

Last edited:

and the last question :

Well depending on your price range there are many options out there. Getting a laptop with a 980 will always be like $500 more than getting a 970, so that would probably be my choice. I think the 970 will be able to handle it very well.

Other than that, better to aim for the 16GB of RAM just for the extra kick.

Well depending on your price range there are many options out there. Getting a laptop with a 980 will always be like $500 more than getting a 970, so that would probably be my choice. I think the 970 will be able to handle it very well.

Other than that, better to aim for the 16GB of RAM just for the extra kick.

Just so you know, I was wondering what to do because a 980 8gb ram is 200 euros more than a 970 16gb. Which I can afford, but I don't want to spend 200 euros if I don't really need too. Do you still recommend the 970 with 16gb ram? Thanks by the way.

Just so you know, I was wondering what to do because a 980 8gb ram is 200 euros more than a 970 16gb. Which I can afford, but I don't want to spend 200 euros if I don't really need too. Do you still recommend the 970 with 16gb ram? Thanks by the way.

This is a tough question to answer because i only had a gaming laptop once and that was a while ago. I am not completely sure how powerful the laptop based 970's are. From what it used to be, laptop graphics cards are always less powerful than their desktop equivalents.

My opinion on this (please do not take this as a fact because i am not a laptop expert) is to get the 980 laptop. I think 8GBs of RAM are good to handle the game so better to have more power on the graphics card just to be sure, for those extra fps.

Again this is just my opinion, i hope someone with more knowledge on laptops steps in.

This is a tough question to answer because i only had a gaming laptop once and that was a while ago. I am not completely sure how powerful the laptop based 970's are. From what it used to be, laptop graphics cards are always less powerful than their desktop equivalents.

My opinion on this (please do not take this as a fact because i am not a laptop expert) is to get the 980 laptop. I think 8GBs of RAM are good to handle the game so better to have more power on the graphics card just to be sure, for those extra fps.

Again this is just my opinion, i hope someone with more knowledge on laptops steps in.

I've been struggling about that too, that's a hard one, so again, thank you for helping me. I'll take your answer in consideration, and if no one else answer me, than I'll move forward with your opinion. I will buy it in 3 weeks I think, so I still got time to figure it out :)

Edit > I have found this link : http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Is it helpful or is it about desktop card ?

Edit 2 >
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+970M&id=2981
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+980M&id=2976

Last edited:
I've been struggling about that too, that's a hard one, so again, thank you for helping me. I'll take your answer in consideration, and if no one else answer me, than I'll move forward with your opinion. I will buy it in 3 weeks I think, so I still got time to figure it out :)

Edit > I have found this link : http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Is it helpful or is it about desktop card ?

Edit 2 >
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+970M&id=2981
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+980M&id=2976

Yea it seems it is as i remembered, they are less powerfull than their desktop equivalents.

The 980M appears to be quite a bit over the recommended GTX 770, while the 970M is way below. So i think it's a better idea to go with the 980M and 8GBs. Then you will be over the recommended for graphics card rather than below with the 970M.

Yea it seems it is as i remembered, they are less powerfull than their desktop equivalents.

The 980M appears to be quite a bit over the recommended GTX 770, while the 970M is way below. So i think it's a better idea to go with the 980M and 8GBs. Then you will be over the recommended for graphics card rather than below with the 970M.

I was thinking 970 is the same for desktop and laptop. It seems I've made quite the mistake, I guess I won't be playing ultra as I was dreaming haha. There's no doubt now that you are right, 980 is the best choice. I'll go with this one and 8gb then. Thank you very much. You are very helpful :)

Edit : I think I will wait till the end of May to buy something. In case there's better. If not, I'll go with what we talked about. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom