Building a gaming PC

+
OK, so I've started to look at SSD, finally.
I have a choice between
Intel 240GB 530
Kingston 240GB HyperX 3K
Samsung 250GB 840 EVO
All at exactly the same price. Any recommendations? And what should I be looking for in the specs?

If those are the choices then I would go with Kingston.

840 EVO has a performance bug that kills your speeds and from what I've heard it hasn't exactly been 'fixed' despite Samsung releasing some tool to address that. Not sure about Intel SSDs.

840 EVO has a performance bug that kills your speeds and from what I've heard it hasn't exactly been 'fixed' despite Samsung releasing some tool to address that. Not sure about Intel SSDs.
Yup. I can confirm that. Apparently Samsung is going to release another "fix" for it soon but I'm skeptical about that.

Going to try and get a refund or change this one to 850 EVO.

Thanks for the tips. I'll go with the Kingston.

Going to try and get a refund or change this one to 850 EVO.

Does that mean the 850 EVO is OK?
It's not listed on the shop's online price-list, but I'm wondering just in case they suggest it when I go to the shop.

Yeah the bug only affects 840 series. It's the hardware component that's the issue, 850 uses a different one(vertical NAND).

I'm currently running DiskFresh to refresh the hole drive (and all its 2 billion sectors) to restore the performance. But frankly it's pretty annoying you have to do this every 3 months or something.

---------- Updated at 07:53 AM ----------

Before:

After:

So yeah. Quite a nice improvement..

OK, so I've started to look at SSD, finally.
I have a choice between
Intel 240GB 530
Kingston 240GB HyperX 3K
Samsung 250GB 840 EVO
All at exactly the same price. Any recommendations? And what should I be looking for in the specs?

Dragonbird, if this is your first SSD, then I recommend looking at an SSD optimization guide if you want to squeeze the most performance out of it as they're quite a bit different than HDDs.

Here's a good one for starters..

Thanks - I'm not planning to put the OS on it, which means there's a lot of those tips that I can ignore, but there's useful info in there.

Cannot say I've experienced any HDD related 'hitching' nor evidence that TW2 even streams much data from the disk. There are a few loading screens in Witcher 2 but they're 2-3 seconds long at best, an SSD might make them pretty trivial but that is a trivial 'gain' in the first place, saving 2 seconds?

There's an icon in the lower right hand screen that shows up when data is being loaded, and this is during gameplay. Depending on how fast your storage is, it could result in a slight 2-3 second pause or it could be like nothing happened if you're on an SSD. The first time I played the Witcher 2 back when it launched, I installed it on twin 600GB Raptors in RAID 0. To me, those pauses were annoying as they broke immersion.

Just a few days ago I installed the Witcher 2 on a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD, and those pauses I experienced when I first played the game are completely gone, a long with the pauses from the finishers...

Maybe I'm looking at something else entirely but I just ran Witcher 2 for ~15-20 minutes running around dense areas and suddenly spinning the camera around on purpose, HDD usage never went over 10% during gameplay, some areas there's a little 'loading' without the screen, just the Ouroboros on the bottom left, only at one moment like that it went upto 30% but that's momentary just 30. So I personally haven't seen TW2 to be a case where the HDD is choking yet. This was(on purpose) done on SATA2 instead of 3 and that didn't make a difference in this case.

It's possible it may be settings dependent. I've always played the Witcher 2 on maxed settings (minus ubersampling), and so those settings could impact things like draw distance, texture size etcetera. Doubtless those two factors influenced how often the game accessed storage as well.. One area where I remember those pauses were though, was when you did a wide circuit run of the forest outside of Flotsam. Start at the southwest entrance to the Forest, go to where the Troll bridge is, and then make a beeline straight to the southeast entrance and that prompts that loading icon to pop up.

That said though, this could be pretty subjective. Everyone has different tolerance levels. Personally, I hate pauses and stutters in my games so it bothers me..

Maybe Watch_Dogs would show some difference since that's a game which constantly thrashes the drive for data but I don't have it.

I've never played Watch Dogs on an HDD, but I've heard that yeah, it's pretty bad. Another game that surprised me as well was Crysis 3. Crysis 3 apparently uses some kind of animation system for tree destruction, and the animations never load from memory. They always load from storage. So if you or an enemy shoots a destructible tree, it triggers that animation to load and since it's never in memory, it always loads from storage which can cause a short pause if you're using an HDD..

That's what I was talking about, I rarely(if ever) have those pauses in TW2 on my current system, maxed out(ubersampling not withstanding) but some of that may be attributed to me being 'OCD' about certain things >_> Like keeping HDD defragged almost at all times, if I install something that's over a few hundred MBs then I immediately do a quick defrag on the new files thus never having any fragmentation, probably slightly bad for disk health doing so much but I haven't run into any issue so far. Didn't check finishers yet. I'll try what you just suggested in Flotsam and see what happens.

Well these last 2 days have been fun. I killed my motherboard by accident, but that's no big deal since after close to 3 years of using it I feel I got my money's worth.

The thing that almost gave me a heart attack was when removing the CPU and cleaning the paste I accidentally smeared some of it on my CPU pins. I was bloody panicked that I just ruined a solid 400 dollar CPU, so I was frantically trying to wipe the smear off gently with some paper towels, most of it came off but a bit remained.

When I went to pick up my new mobo I asked a guy from support there what should I do. He said to either clean with alcohol or leave it as it is since it wouldn't have an impact. I left it on and my CPU works just fine. Hell it's even lower in terms of temp atm.

Last edited:
When I went to pick up my new mobo I asked a guy from support there what should I do. He said to either clean with alcohol or leave it as it is since it wouldn't have an impact. I left it on and my CPU works just fine. Hell it's even lower in terms of temp atm.

I always clean up stray paste with alcohol on a bit of gauze. (The stronger the better. Wild Turkey does a good job.) But unless it's actually shorting the pads, you and he are right; there is no harm done. And better thermal contact, especially on the ground pins, will actually carry some heat away. (That's how memory is cooled, fancy looking heat spreaders don't do jack crap.)

That's what I was talking about, I rarely(if ever) have those pauses in TW2 on my current system, maxed out(ubersampling not withstanding) but some of that may be attributed to me being 'OCD' about certain things >_> Like keeping HDD defragged almost at all times, if I install something that's over a few hundred MBs then I immediately do a quick defrag on the new files thus never having any fragmentation, probably slightly bad for disk health doing so much but I haven't run into any issue so far. Didn't check finishers yet. I'll try what you just suggested in Flotsam and see what happens.

Yeah I'd be interested to hear your feedback on this. Those two loading points always pop up no matter what and are unavoidable. The only thing that mitigates them is running the game on an SSD. Defragging might help a bit, but not much because it's about random access. Also when I had used those Raptors in RAID 0, I used the best defragger on the market; PerfectDisk.

If Geralt does a second circuit of that route, then it won't be as jarring because some of the data will be fetched from memory rather than storage.

Thanks for mentioning defrag. I just went and checked and found that my scheduled weekly defrag hasn't actually run since September. That may explain a few things.

And I've also been tidying a lot of stuff up before getting SDD. Which resulted in a question.
With HDD, do people still partition drives? Apart from the standard partition for the OS, of course. But if you're sitting with a 2TB drive for data, do you partition it?

(I've always kept static and dynamic data separate, but I just got pissed off when I found I'd run out of space in the partition that I wanted to store Steam backup files in, even though I'd plenty of space generally, and have just finished merging everything into a single D: partition)

Personally, I've never been into partitioning. It just overcomplicates things, and is completely unnecessary as we can create as many folders as we want to instead of a partition. I think partitions appeals to people who love everything to be neatly ordered and separate and don't mind the extra attention.

If you like simplicity though, one partition is best.. Just create folders instead if you want to separate and differentiate data.

Personally, I've never been into partitioning. It just overcomplicates things, and is completely unnecessary as we can create as many folders as we want to instead of a partition. I think partitions appeals to people who love everything to be neatly ordered and separate and don't mind the extra attention.

If you like simplicity though, one partition is best.. Just create folders instead if you want to separate and differentiate data.
Agree. These days partitioning is only useful if you want to dual boot different operating systems (I maintain XP partition for compatibility with older games, for example).

Top Bottom