The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

+

The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

• The Old Camera Angle (closer to Geralt)

Votes: 135 60.5%
  • The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

Votes: 88 39.5%

• Total voters
Even an above-the-head camera could work just fine. Again, ONLY for joggin/walking, NOT combat. :)

It may look a bit awkward at first, but looks awesome in motion.

If anyone desires to try out their own 'zoom' cam, you need to download the uncompressed version of the footage, then download Media Player Classic, then press Numpad 9 to adjust the zoom

Last edited:

Sken

Forum veteran
Even an above-the-head camera could work just fine. Again, ONLY for joggin/walking, NOT combat. :)

It may look a bit awkward at first, but looks awesome in motion.

If anyone desires to try out their own 'zoom' cam, you need to download the uncompressed version of the footage, then download Media Player Classic, then press Numpad 9 to adjust the zoom
Just tried that on the January build, what a difference. Horse riding to the first village, just looked and felt awesome, like I was riding through the snow and forest, not like a bird hovering over it.

Although on another point: They had the closer camera before. So if they changed it, they might have had a reason. I don't know, it might not have worked as well in certain conditions... They are the ones who tested it extensively, and they're smart people, there might be something there that we can't actually see right now.

Also, that one is too close for me for example :) Something between that and the current version would work perfectly for me; and these different preferences are exactly the reason why an option would have been perfect. But like I said, maybe they thought of the options and it messed the camera up in certain conditions? I don't have any way of knowing that. Anyway, worst case scenario for PC users would be tweaks.

Just tried that on the January build, what a difference. Horse riding to the first village, just looked and felt awesome, like I was riding through the snow and forest, not like a bird hovering over it.
I really really hope CDP considers adding this option for camera distance in a patch if not in release.

The Witcher 2 did the same. But to cope with this problem (view blocking), they brought the camera level above Geralt, so that you couldn't see his feet unless you were running

Notice how you feel more disconnected from Geralt in the 3rd picture? If only they could add an option to make the camera the same as TW2, I wouldn't be complaining anymore :]

This is how it would look like in TW2 zoom mode:

Also, I noticed that the TW2 camera never let Geralt take more than 1/2 of your screen's vertical space, which is probably why it was playable at the time

i dont get it.... i dont feel any way at all "more disconnected from Geralt"

Woah, don't fall down there. Cliffs look a lot more dangerous

i dont get this at all... a highly subjective opinnion.

Off-topic

Do you mind to put in a spoiler window the pics of the post you are replying? seen the same pics for 3 pages just for reading 4 sentences is kind of waste of time.

Thank you very much!

I would prefer the zoomed in camera too. Just for the feeling and the game experience. But as some1 posted already: They said they will add those camera options so dont worry :)

Although it would be great for everyone to be able to zoom in/out to get the camera they wanted, i doubt it's happening at launch. I think it wouldn't be a priority right now with the game so close to release. Maybe in a patch or even a mod later

Assuming** that the game uses unencrypted .ini files, it is more likely than not that the camera x,y,z positions will be written down inside of them for each 'camera activity' i.e. horseriding, combat, etc.

If this is the case, then absolutely anyone on a pc would be able to go into the .ini files, and tweak those numbers around until the camera feels Perfect(tm) without even needing to wait for a mod or anything of the sort.

Thanks OP for bringing up this interesting topic!

I think it boils down to being a delicate balancing act between immersion and natural feel of the field of view.
So, in the following I will elaborate further upon screenshots posted.

A 21:9 monitor would change the game here.. great immersion and natural (ie. not too small) field of view:
View attachment 12075

But most gamers are restricted to a 16:9 ratio. So the task is to find the best balance between field of view and immersion.
-> In my opinion CDPR in the current build favour field of view a bit too much.
I adjusted the image only slighty but I think it makes the experience more immersive without sacrificing the natural feeling field of view:
View attachment 12076

And before (current build) - makes me feel more detached of the game world:
View attachment 12077

The image adjustments by the OP on the other hand make the field of view feel too constrained imo:
View attachment 12078

Also, I don't like people often saying "Aye, just use mods mate".. there are also console gamers inhabiting this planet.

ps: with field of view I refer to "Geralts" fov, not the actual cameras fov -> when the cam is zoomed out too much you, the
player, can see enemies even at a distance behind his back.. and because you impersonate Geralt in a way this, to me, makes it have him an unnatural perceived >180° field if view.

Attachments

• 219.jpg
    219.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 169_improved.jpg
    169_improved.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 101
  • unnatural.jpg
    unnatural.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
i have exactly the opposite opinion than the OP and @ub3rprogmr...... the more i see, the more ""immersed"" and ""attatched to the world"" i feel, because irl, you dont see life through a small window.... you got nearly 180 degree vision...... i dont want "fishbowl" vision in games, but looking through a small window is worse... (for me)

Also, I don't like people often saying "Aye, just use mods mate".. there are also console gamers inhabiting this planet.

Well, people are saying just use mods because the devs have confirmed they aren't implementing adjustable camera height, at least not before release. It's obvious everyone wants it.

Well, people are saying just use mods because the devs have confirmed they aren't implementing adjustable camera height, at least not before release. It's obvious everyone wants it.

Well, ok. But console gamers are not able to use mods.

So let's all put this on the feature-wishlist for the dev team, alright :)?!

Top Bottom