Does the game will have good time to pre-download on steam/gog?

+
Rock* has given GTAV a 1 week pre-load. I'm expecting the same on TW3. One week is a decent duration for those who have low bandwidth.

Rock* has given GTAV a 1 week pre-load. I'm expecting the same on TW3. One week is a decent duration for those who have low bandwidth.

I wouldn't mind a week pre-load i suppose. On the other hand, having the game in the hard drive and not able to play it will be torture.

Well, that was interesting. I just tried Gog's latest speed test survey, and it's running at around 3x what I've ever got from them before. That makes it roughly the same as Steam now for me.

If they can actually achieve those rates, I'd probably be looking at around 3 days to download.

Or maybe not. Just ran it again, and it's down to around 100K.

Last edited:
Oh boy, my day just got better :D

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html
So I put 40 gigs as estimated size and I read the download speeds were MBps and if that were the case I would have had to download it for around 55 hours.
BUT since the download speeds are Mbps I'll just need maybe between 5-8 hours to download it. I think Steam has given a maximum of 1,7MBps speed for me so that's about 1,4 Mbps(?)

Even if the game will be about 50 gigs to download I'll still be able to download it in one night or at least almost :)

I feel a bit sad for you guys with really slow speeds :(

Considering that there will be hundreds of thousands of downloads from GOG is logical to think that CDPR have already calculated an estimate of predischarge days. Two days seem insufficient. Normal practice would be allow the pre-discharge of all bin's and leave for 19th the discharge of setup.exe which is usually 1Mb.

This was done for TW2, right?

@WildFinn96 I'm trying to read your post and am very confused.

What's your connection's advertised speed? It's almost always advertised in kbps/mbps, divide that by 8 and you get your kBps/mBps, the unit that is used in almost all programs.

How come some people have such 'slow' internet? I know internet might not be fast and readily available everywhere but it's 2015, these days everything goes through internet how can they then limit it like that? I know in America it's very expensive (because the providers are d*cks) but I don't really know about other countries...

I get 120Mbps, with that I get normal tv for 53 euro's. Which is about 58 U.S. dollars at the moment, I wonder what do you get in Amerika or other countries for that? (roughly the same amount or money, or the same speed for how much money?)

Last edited:
I'll get 10 MegaByte/sec, so I should be on the save side. Actually if needed I can request 1Gbit/sec ... but actually I think downloading from gog and getting around 1-2 MB/sec would be great. I highly doubt that even 10 will be possible when a horde of gamers gonna download this (hopefully) masterpiece of a game

How come some people have such 'slow' internet? I know internet might not be fast and readily available everywhere but it's 2015, these days everything goes through internet how can they then limit it like that? I know in America it's very expensive (because the providers are d*cks) but I don't really know about other countries...

I get 120Mbps, with that I get normal tv for 53 euro's. Which is about 58 U.S. dollars at the moment, I wonder what do you get in Amerika or other countries for that? (roughly the same amount or money, or the same speed for how much money?)

Holy crap. I remember just a couple months ago when a 53 euros would have been like 78 USD.

Major City American Internet Speeds: $99 USD. Advertised 150/50mbps:

Edit: Why some people have slow internet speeds: Oceans and lack of Fiber backbones, as well as widely varying infrastructure between different countries. Some governments highly regulate internet making ISPs a business not worth really pursuing in those areas, some areas are too dangerous or too poor to operate in, etc. There are quite a number of reasons, really.

Last edited:
Major City American Internet Speeds: $99 USD. Advertised 150/50mbps:
I don't even know of my ISP has a 'package' or even internet speed for 100 euro. that's really expensive IMHO.

Edit: Why some people have slow internet speeds: Oceans and lack of Fiber backbones, as well as widely varying infrastructure between different countries. Some governments highly regulate internet making ISPs a business not worth really pursuing in those areas, some areas are too dangerous or too poor to operate in, etc. There are quite a number of reasons, really.
I guess you're right. There can be a lot of different reasons for it. Though it's really interesting to see what Google Fiber will achieve, I have heard some good things about it, but I don't know the pricing or specs on that. And it's only available in a few area's, but it's still early days.

I don't even know of my ISP has a 'package' or even internet speed for 100 euro. that's really expensive IMHO.

The majority of packages in the City are closer to the $50 mark and range from 20-50Mbps down. Internet is really the only utility that I care about and one of my few indulgences so I always find the fastest internet where I live even if it's a bit expensive.

When my livelihood revolves around computers, I find it easier to justify the extra cost to myself.

I theory, I'd have 10Mbps but the test says me I've barely 8.5.... :( I estimate it will take about 15 hours to download, in the best case, of course.

Last edited:
When my livelihood revolves around computers, I find it easier to justify the extra cost to myself.
Yeah, I guess thats a important factor aswell.

Isn't it a save bet that the download file will be smaller then the actual game? I imagine the download file on GoG.com will be compressed somewgat, no?
(I don't know if it says the file size on the gog page, havent been there for awhile.)

@WildFinn96 I'm trying to read your post and am very confused.

What's your connection's advertised speed? It's almost always advertised in kbps/mbps, divide that by 8 and you get your kBps/mBps, the unit that is used in almost all programs.
Yeah, it might be a bit confusing :D

I have a contract that allows up to 50Mb/s (I think) in a 4G network but since at the moment I have only 3G network available the maximum speed is around 1,7MB/s in Steam downloads and that's about 14Mb/s right?

Hope that's more clear :p

Last edited:

Mine?
It's a developing country. All international traffic needs to cross oceans, and that's expensive and involves peering arrangements with richer countries who charge a lot of money (by our standards) for it. Internal traffic also needs to cross a lot of water, unless you're close to the capital, infrastructure development is expensive and can easily be destroyed by typhoons or earthquakes.
Nobody here is deliberately trying to limit it. It's good for business and good for the country, but it's still going to be expensive to set up the infrastructure, and the majority of private individuals wouldn't be able to afford high-speed connectivity anyway. The charges for my 8Mbps are roughly 10% of the monthly salary of an experienced IT professional. Fibre is available, up to 100Mbps, in some locations but costs around 3x that and still has constraints for overseas traffic.

ajarn

Forum regular
To increase speed for users with low "international" bandwidth, GOG\Steam clients could use p2p protocol (sorry, I don't know if they do it already).
For example, Battle.net client uses p2p. In my country speed gain from it is like 2x - 3x from "international" downloads.

To increase speed for users with low "international" bandwidth, GOG\Steam clients could use p2p protocol (sorry, I don't know if they do it already).
For example, Battle.net client uses p2p. In my country speed gain from it is like 2x - 3x from "international" downloads.

P2P works to a certain extent for me, but is better than other methods only if there were a lot of users in the same country, which may or may not be the case. Anything that allows multiple connections by one method or another helps. P2P effectively does that, as do a lot of FTP and Download Management tools. The only problem with that though is that I assume it puts a bigger load on the GOG servers (which is another reason why P2P is better, I guess).

So a reasonable period for downloading is still vital, so that all of those with fast speeds can get it and get out, leaving us snails to download in peace. :)

I'm not sure what the current state of the GOG downloader is, as it's a few years since I used it, but I definitely got better results using a third-party tool.

(Steam works fine for me, incidentally, as they have local servers).

Last edited:
Top Bottom