[LINKS ONLY] Witcher 3 News

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
From CDPR facebook:

Congrats

http://beavers.it/2015/04/02/caccia-selvaggia/
Having been on the trail, I managed to find the report from the guy that made the aforementioned video. Couple of nice screens and a nice summary from Italy(Eng translation was necessary to understand:p)
I had nothing to do so I translated almost the whole article. :)

The event

The third chapter of the saga of the witcher is one of the most anticipated games of the year, there is little to be there to sentencing, it's people's hype which is talking and also I expect and hope for a huge game. But, as everyone knows, for a Caccia Selvaggia (Wild Hunt ... errr...), it is good to arrive early and, as I have this habit, probalby I exaggerate and I go there at 10:00, I immediately take a photo of the entrance with the poster, but an hour and a half early. The guy at the entrance tells me politely that I can also go around, and so, after seeing La Scala Theater surrounded by screaming Chinese, I return at 11:10 and I find that enough people came in and you can start to feel a warm atmosphere. Not by chance, to give me a nice smile, they place an envelope full of gadgets on my shoulder and invite me to come into a room where I felt comfortable, thanks to some known people's faces and with whom I exchange a small talk and laughs. After a juice orange from a light refreshment , I take some photos and I can only rejoice watching the beautiful statue of Geralt at the entrance, as well as I keep an eye on the board game. I notice that the playing wings include two beautiful powerful PCs and other 10 Xbox One, no PS4.

It all seems very casual and simple. The organization seems very good to me, in fact there are no delays, and I like this thing very much since I have to take a train after that...
Damien Monnier comes running and you see right away that it is a straightforward and fast guy. He says a few words about the project, make us to see one of the usual trailer already enjoyed long ago at E3 video, warns us not to lick the monster's tongue fighting with Geralt at the entrance and invites us to play and write on pre-printed sheets our opinion about the game, anonymous, with cons and pros, because it is of great importance for them.

Impressions

I try the game in two different times. In the first I only play for 10 minutes trying rapid combat system among the vegetation and a nice ride on horseback, to test commands, get a first impression; the second time around I have more time and I spend a whole half hour taking it easy, starting the game from the beginning of the demo without running. First of all I point out that the graphics on PCs were set up on "high", but if you want you could also go for very high and comparing the PC version and the Xbox One, I haven't noticed vast differences. Obviously something in the details of the environment and vegetation was noticeable and certainly with everything to the maximum on the PC you can taste with great enjoying, but the graphics are absolutely excellent. What is it immediately evident is that there is so much color, so many strong colors, little gloom, there is life and light in this game, maybe even too much in some places I explored, but I like this. Well, while running into this open world I remember that, months ago, the graphics seemed to want to seek a greater realism and now places appear more "watercolor", allow me this term. But this is not a cons at all and it should not be mistaken for a game with a cartoon graphics and colorful, partly because the more you play, the more you will melt, involved in these wild lands. I'm impressed by the details because often when I'm playing I look around, standing still to see the walls of the castle, the plants, the texture of the polygonal models and the care spent for Geralt's model is awesome. And indeed it's good to see.

The beginning

The demo has a difficulty level can be set between 4 modes: easy, normal, hard and super hard (?). The game begins in the fortress of Kaer Morhen with Geralt bathing in the tub, Terence Hill style. Cutscenes are well made and we can skip them pressing X. It soon becomes clear that there will be lot of different cutscenes and there will be a lot of dialogue in the game, which, in my opinion, it never hurts and enchances a good plot. Already in the first room you can familiarize with some commands and objects present in the environment, so much that by holding LT on the pad of X One, witcher's senses will activate and Geralt can better examine everything around him. Once took the key and opened the door we will then chasing little Ciri for the fortress until training camp, great way to make tutorials. We note therefore that holding down the A button, the witcher will trip and will run faster, while with L + B overrides walls and fences; but if you are already running and you are faced with an obstacle, just by pressing B instantly, he will jump right over it. Already from these brief easy phases of the game you can see, however, that the gameplay is very smooth, stable, there are no stupid things like in Assassin's Creed, where after 10 years still impapina (slang for stumble) and falls, or if it bumps into a wall it will stand still , etc... (examples of some things he didn't like about AC). I like it.

The sword dances and fire as well

Yes, once arrived at the training camp, the tutorial for combat system is really well done and in a few minutes we will learn everything for good already, because it is well studied and perhaps because it does not differ much from the second chapter. The fact is that with the directional cross we can sheathe and unsheathe the sword, with X we'll deliver a light attack, while with Y a powerful attack. With the left analog stick + B instead we'll avoid attacks and we can even do somersaults on forward, hold down LT instead we'll parry with our weapon and if you guess the right timing, when the enemy attacks, pressing LT rapidly, you can ward off the blow and throw a punch or make a push to counterattack. In addition to the attacks with the sword, The Witcher is famous for the "signs" which you can learn and you'll need them against numerous enemies. During a fight, if you press LB a menu with various signs acquired and learned will open and we can choose what we like with A then return to fight and throw, if the stamina is not scarce, with all its power on the opponent. Very exciting for me was the fire, a classic symbol present from the first chapter, but that always gives so much satisfaction even with particles visual effects that I really liked. Besides this, Aard is worthy of note, also with excellent effects. There was also Axii, which will stun enemies' minds and they won't want to fight anymore, Quen sign which increases our defenses when activated; Yrden, a purple circular trap that slows the opponent if they walk inside the circle. Finally you can also throw bombs by holding RB, or hitting distant targets by holding RB and aiming, then releasing the bomb. In short, fighting style seems to be very fun and enjoyable.

Conclusions

After the tutorial session the player has a main quest to follow as always, but he can explore a bit what he wants. The spaces are large, if you will not have a horse, be ready to walk a lot, there are many NPC to talk with, interact and receive quests, yes, even in the demo. Also, it was also good the chance to trigger an "auto pilot" on the horse when it is on the main road, so the animal will follow the road without stopping and there you can warm up a hot chocolate, but then you wouldn't find yourself with the nag on the Salerno-Reggio Calabria. (italian joke here, nevermind) The fights with enemies of higher level, or when you come across groups of monsters, are not too easy, there is always a good degree of challenge and you can approach them as you wish, if only by the sword, only with the signs and dodges, or mixing a bit of all. There is so much freedom. And fortunately there is always the map in the upper right corner that shows us what to do and where to go for the main quest, as always. The menu and inventory for the character and objects is very clear and clean and there were all different types of foods to recuperate, or herbs and ointments for alchemy. In this game session, that could comfortably last for another half hour or an hour, I did a bit of everything, including even throw myself into the water, swim and dive to catch the objects, I followed the trail of the hunter and other shady characters by holding LT to sharpen the witcher senses and discern the traces on the ground, I could defy the travelers in inns as well as talking with them and you'll be happy, or maybe not, knowing that there are still those mini games similar to checkers or drinking contests, as well as the fisticuffs ones. I finally could get up to a "final boss", the griffin, rather tough to deal with, but I had already thoroughly enjoyed this open world. Everything maybe I did not have special dips to the heart that made me crying miracolously, but I liked very much the strength of the title. I have not encountered any bugs and it was all very fluid, zero loadings and there really is so much to do it seems.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I ended up being out most of today and couldn't get this here any sooner.
Nothing crazy new, or at least not majorly important, but a few interesting tidbits out of the OPM article.

-Obviously playing on a PS4, but it seems like it was still the January Build

-As most Journalists state, "Game looks gorgeous" on the PS4.

-One of the first Journalists I've seen actually acknowledge that The Witcher came BEFORE Game of Thrones, and state it was doing all this mature stuff long before it. (And this Journalist is brand new to the series - hasn't played the previous two games or read the books. Take note other Journalists: doing the most BASIC of research is really not difficult at all)

-It's not directly stated, but implied that the mountains around Kaer Morhen can be traversed (Alluded to by a statement from Miles where he mentions that they sometimes force the player on foot via level design, and he uses the example that you can't take Roach up those Kaer Morhen mountains)

-We know from prior articles that Skellige's Islands had to be moved closer together, however the report is that prior to them being moved it would take 40 minutes to traverse the ocean by boat, which was too extreme and hence the change.

-Whales (As seen in very early screenshots) are still in the game and pop up as you traverse the ocean. Also you can be attacked by Sirens while on your boat (No mention of whether you can fight back from the boat), and there will be tons of other ships around too.

-Diving was a complete "spur of the moment" addition, and never initially planned. Apparently it was added when the game was around 60% feature complete, and ended up being a huge amount of work, but they feel it was worth it due to the extra layer it adds to the world/gameplay.

-Once again the Ice Skating was brought up. Jose seemed really, really keen on bringing it in as a DLC.

-Journalist says that Dark Mode still has Permadeath - so we're still looking at conflicting information regarding permadeath.

-Mutagens are obtained from killing large monsters, and offer significant bonuses. The Griffin in the Prologue for example gives you a +120% Vitality Mutagen.

-Succubus CONFIRMED.

-Apparently there is over 100 pieces of Battle Music in the game (A rough estimate IIRC TW2 only had about 10-20, and that is with the EE, before that it was only like 5-10)

-There's a question about how Slavic Werewolf/Vampire designs are in another league compared to Western designs. Not really sure whether that means he saw a Vampire in the game, or whether he's just commenting on Slavic Designs in general. Probably the latter, so don't get your hopes up.

-Yennefer is found very early in the game, article alludes to it being extremely soon after you defeat the Griffin, which means probably before the end of the Prologue. She is searching for Ciri and is supposedly very on edge about what is hunting her. Also an educated guess leads me to believe that the Wild Hunt > Geralt/Yennefer/Nilfgaardian's chase scene that occurs during the Elder Blood Trailer, actually occurs in the Prologue, after you've found Yen.

Last edited:
Another spanish interview to Jose Teixeira and Damien Monnier,

http://www.mundogamers.com/articulo-entrevista__the_witcher_3-pc.485.html

Small tidbits:
They both will play it in PS4.

They had a lot of hard work rejecting all the exclusive in game proposals from platforms and distributors.

Darks Souls was a great inspiration for combat revamping.

Finally the interviewer congrats them for making Geralt actually flex his legs before jumping.

First gameplay from ING, with youtuber's commentary.
The author concludes that reading books is "necessary" (gentle book spoilers) to easily enter the world of The Witcher. In many interviews people from CDPR, as well as numerous journalists speeches, who already was playing the game itself, says that game it self is great introduces the world. Read books I would consider as adding just the climate and flavors.

The Witcher 3 - The First 15 Minutes - Mr. Odd's Thoughts

http://www.stuff.tv/witcher-3-wild-hunt/review

Four hour hands on preview. Nothing really too new, but one very exciting impression becasue this is the part that will make or break the game imo.

While the first two Witcher titles featured large environments to explore, this is the first time the series is offering a fully open-world. The goal is to make everything feel more cohesive, with travel between each fort, village and city achievable without invasive loading screens.Many games struggle to incorporate an open-world element, their supposedly inter-connected missions weighed down by the struggle to elegantly build narrative cohesion across such an enormous expanse. Happily, judging by the four-ish hours that we've played so far, that doesn't seem to be a problem here. Populated areas flow into countryside and back again with a rhythm that makes it easy to believe that the world is a living, breathing, evolving place.

Expansion Pass: Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine

The Expansion Pass secures your access to two epic adventures set in the vibrant world of monster hunter Geralt of Rivia.

Hearts of Stone will take Geralt on an all-new 10-hour adventure into the wilds of No Man’s Land and the nooks and alleys of Oxenfurt, where he’ll try to complete a contract from the mysterious Man of Glass. Caught in a thick tangle of deceit, Geralt will need all his cunning and strength to solve the mystery and emerge unscathed.

Blood and Wine, a 20-hour tale that will introduce the all-new in-game region of Toussaint, will take Geralt to a land untainted by war, where an atmosphere of carefree indulgence and knightly ritual masks an ancient, bloody secret.

The upcoming expansions will offer gamers new content, gear and foes, and will feature characters both new and dearly missed -- all crafted with maximum attention to detail and quality.

Hearts of Stone will premiere in October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016.

New Interview of Cd projekt Madrid

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has made ​​stops in Madrid, and Bandai Namco has invited us to try the game for the first time. To this end has organized an event at the offices of Microsoft, which could play both a brown beasts of PC and Xbox One. Also, we had the privilege of speaking with two of the young men of the development team of CD Projekt, Jose Teixeira and Damien Monnier , which are, respectively, senior visual effects artist and senior designer gaming experience, and below have what we talked with them.

¿PC or console?

Damien Monnier : Me? I'll play on PS4.

Jose Teixeira : The truth is that I too.

Why something special?

Jose : For sheer convenience. I have the console connected to a projector very nice, and I find it much more comfortable playing well. My PC is far away in my office, so it's not the same. It is a matter of convenience.

Damien : My PC died [laughs], and I want to make me a new one, but I have not had the opportunity. And I want a beast ... I do not know, I'll play in PS4, but nothing happens, because I also much more comfortable.
So PS4 two, huh?

Damien : That seems.

Well well. Tell us, from the artistic point of view, do you believe that the current consoles have given you everything I needed for your feelings made?

Damien : Yes.

Jose : Yes I agree.. I think we've managed to accomplish all that we require. With this open world, history, number of characters, places, the density of the world ... It's amazing. We were able to make good use of the extra power we have now. It has been good.

Damien : In a way we've never had to resign. We work mainly in PC, where we design everything with the RED Engine and then move the build to consoles. Yes, if you have a great PC, with a Titan and so and so, you may have a greater draw distance, better shadows ... But in the end the effects -and that you you can tell him that designs SPECIAL effects are not affected. In no time we have been restricted by the consoles at the time of placing an explosion or something.

Jose : No, not at all. Well, you have to be ready to not match many effects at the same time, but that also applies to PC, the end of the day.
But despite all this, we go back to what you said once that experience is what matters and what will not change in any of the platforms.

Damien : Yes, yes.

Jose : Exactly; the game will be the same.

Damien : Yeah, do not worry. The game will be exactly the same. We have not changed anything thinking exclusively on consoles.

Jose : The experience is the same. In PC, if anything, you can access certain technologies and certain visual advantages, but that's it. The core is the same.

No downloadable levels then.

Jose : Nothing, nothing, the same for everyone. We wanted to make sure to avoid certain situations.

Damien : Yeah, we said no.

Jose : The fans would not accept it, and ourselves we do not like the idea; we want everyone to enjoy the same.

Damien : It is not easy. There are many people who want exclusive content for your platform or shop, so buyers will take something preorder at your store. But we have not given, nor a paltry shoes. Everyone will have the same of us. And so we repeat: it's the same game. And we fought very hard to make it so.
The version we tested today is a very advanced, but we know that many changes have taken place up to where you are now. Have you made many tweaks the engine itself?

Jose : I think so. We recently changed the way the engine is shadows, for example, because the light changes constantly with the motion of the sun. If the light changes, shadows and reflections change too. This technique was heavy before, and one of the graphics programmers found a way to render shadows 400% faster or four times faster, or something, and applied it! It was a big, big change ... One day we set to work and we find that the game had something a little weird. Just the day before one of the programmers had changed something and we had to adapt ... They are necessary changes, and if a programmer can find a way that everything goes better, we do, and so the game can run much better.

Ya ... Although these changes are sometimes responsible for delays the game, of course.

Jose : Sometimes, yes.

Then, as a company, how you manage to keep proving so ... cool [laughs]? Because there are many companies who get it ...

Damien : Being honest.

Jose : Sure. Being honest.

Damien : "We have to postpone the game." How come. There you can not answer bullshit;just tell them that the game will be better, period. Everything lies in the way we face as a team, from artists to designers. We propose, "Okay, if we had three more months, what would we do?". Then someone will say that finally do something that had to do without. We were awarded this time, and it was great. Everything lies in being transparent with the team and the fans. Look, the version you have played today is old, and the game has changed enormously. It has improved tremendously. From the way it is played, that is controlled, the visuals ... I could not count the number of things that have improved. And eye, we were in very good shape, we could have already launched the game, but still was not at the level to which we aspired. Just simple ...
Sure, but I imagine that as developers now have the ability to launch a broken to fix on the go with game patches. Though I suppose you do not like the idea, right?

Jose : We do not want to depend on it. We do not want to release a game before then depend on updates to adecentarlo time. We prefer to wait to release a game that works and for releasing a patch that is just to fix bugs that we discovered later. We do not have the possibility to play good we seek.

But historically do not you depend heavily on sales pitch, right? I mean, The Witcher and The Witcher 2 have better sales over time ...

Damien : Right.

Jose : Yes, it is true, but this game is generating high expectations. We are excited to see how it unfolds among fans. For now, those who have played -the journalists have enjoyed, and we are very happy about it and the criticism they have told us. In fact, many of the changes we have made ​​so far have taken place because of them.

Damien : I think so. We have taken into account many of the views of journalists to make those changes, and although some things could not be changed, because obviously not everyone can be right, but when we believe lead, we do.

Silvia Martín, Namco Bandai PR : We have to go finish the interview ... Let us be the bus [laughs].
Well ... Have you played Dark Souls ?

Damien and Jose : [laughs] Yeah, yeah.
Is it possible that ye inspired by this saga to renew the combat system Geralt to this new release?
Jose : Sure. The pace of combat is phenomenal force attacks ... Dark Souls has very interesting animations. They are not very realistic because everything moves a little faster than normal, but it is tremendously powerful, all attacks seem huge, and that's something we wanted to bring our game.

Damien : To me captivates me most of the time if you die is because you shit [laughs] and nothing happens! I think no other game that has died so many times and I feel satisfied, because as I go improved. The same goes for The Witcher , especially if you play in the greatest difficulty. You're gonna die, you know. But not because of the game, because the combat responds very directly. We changed the combat system of the second part, focusing on animation, a system in which the animation occurs after performing the action ... That is basically what makes Dark Souls . We prefer that when a player dodges, there is no delay, because it is more natural, even taking an odd animation. It does not seem natural, but it feels natural.
Finally, I want to give congratulations for making Geralt is one of the few characters who bend your legs before jumping.
Damien : [laughs] I'm glad. Now you will see it: the game has changed a lot these months.
Jo, what I have wanted him.
Damien : Eh, and I!
Thanks a lot guys. Beware much.

Damien and Jose : And you! Thank you.

I'm sure, that you already know, the CDPR announced big addition to Witcher 3. There will be two adventures, +/- 30 hours both, it won't be for free, but we will get new hub.

Witcher 3: Two "Massive" Expansions Announced - IGN News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom