Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

I like where this thread is headed. Again.

I wonder what Freud would say...

Manchmal ist das Brötchen nur ein Brötchen.

My knee decided to betray me half a year ago, that bastard, and I haven't jogged since. But I miss not-feeling like a slob so I wanna do some activity again. Walking is the easiest solution. Thing is, I feel like I'm 40 years older if I do that, so I need some positive reinforcement about it and for you guys to tell me that it's more healthy and marvelous and yada yada. Also, is it something that should be done every day? How long? How fast?

Very sorry about your knee! Bad show! I walk quite a bit myself. It's a nice, even exercise. Although, my walks last between two and three hours, and usually involve some rather steep hills -- once or twice a week.

What about stairs? Do you climb stairs often?

They say 30min a day at your top speed is a good start.

I'm no knee expert so any of my suggestions could be useless but:
- cycling
- swimming
- quadrapedals, bonus points for doing it on stairs
- hopping
- find out what's wrong with your knee and going back to jogging

generally 30 minutes a day for the average gaming slob, but for quadrapedals I'd say less than that until you are fit enough for it.

Bummer. Swimming is best, if you have access to a pool. If walking doesn't get you going fast enough for your taste, cycling is OK, too, but comes with its own kind of knee problems.

Harvard Med School says 5 times a week, at least 30 minutes, 100 to 120 steps a minute, over a challenging course. Don't start out with that; you'll be back on your couch with sore knees or shin splints. Work up to it.

Last edited:
I agree with the statements above. I forgot the knee problem in the 30 min walk I told you about. And Yes, Swimming could be the best for you I think, Water is less exhausting.

My knee decided to betray me half a year ago, that bastard, and I haven't jogged since. But I miss not-feeling like a slob so I wanna do some activity again. Walking is the easiest solution. Thing is, I feel like I'm 40 years older if I do that, so I need some positive reinforcement about it and for you guys to tell me that it's more healthy and marvelous and yada yada. Also, is it something that should be done every day? How long? How fast?
How about swimming?

You need a dog. Walking is much more fun with a dog.

I thought about swimming but I suspect it might bore me even more than walking. Walking you can at least do outdoors with nice views. Going back and forth in a 25-50 meter pool might seriously make me consider just drowning instead.

You need a dog. Walking is much more fun with a dog.
This is wise.

I'll definitely have a dog later in life. Don't think this is a good moment though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom