Witcher 3 First 15 minutes gameplay!

+
Hmm now that I watched the video in many different speeds, the animations are much smoother and well blended than I previously thought, the problem seems to be the speed at which some of them play, and the inconsistent acceleration between the movements. It's something I also noticed in the 35 min demo too but forgot later.

Some of the attacks, and the recoveries from dodging or getting hit are just so damn fast you cant even notice the transition well, and because others are much slower and do allow you to see, it looks as if the former ones were instantaneous, even when they are not.

Now I'd actually really like slower moves for Geralt, its a bit over the top as it is currently in that video.

The witcher's story has nothing to do with epics (well, has almost nothing to do). This is neither Dragon Age or Skyrim. Sometimes the fight must be held in silence.

I didnt mean epicness in that sense, just less audiovisual stimulation, something the witcher games have always tried to accomplish to the maximum.

The witcher's story has nothing to do with epics (well, has almost nothing to do). ;) This is neither Dragon Age or Skyrim. Sometimes the fight must be held in silence.

IDK about the books.But in TW2 at least Geralt has his fair share of traditionally "epic moments."

Yeah I saw this linked on Witcher on FB earlier, looks totally Epic, if I wasn't excited enough for this game now I have reached a whole new level! Everything seems great, the animations, the environments as everyone who has played the game hands on has said, are stunning! The dry humor is there too and I am loving the look of the battles and the more mature theme of Witcher. IMO some Western Developers, Bethesda for example, are too worried about stirring 12 year old's excitement, just make the game you would want to play yourself, that is what CDPR seem to be great at! All the free DLC just adds the icing to the cake, can't wait till the 19th, at least we can say its coming out next month now!

Not sure what build this is btw, but it looks like a newer build, I would imagine if they wanted to, CDPR could release the game tomorrow!

Not sure what build this is btw, but it looks like a newer build, I would imagine if they wanted to, CDPR could release the game tomorrow!

This is definitely a newer build than the January footage. The water in this footage looks far superior to the footage that was released in January.. Shadows look better too.

It's just only me who want to live in the The Witcher world after watching Witcher 3 gameplay videos or anyone else have the same thought?
Watching these gameplay videos give me the same feeling like when I look at my girlfriend's scruff the neck :teeth:.
JUST GIVE ME THE BOOBS!!!! Oh shit sorry I mean GIVE ME THE GAME ALREADY!!!!!!

So here's what I thought of the the preview:
Really fucking top notch sound design. The lack of music was excellent, made me more attached to the world and the ambient noises. It's good to see a developer who is not afraid to not use music.
Foliage density is looking better than what we've seen before. The foliage itself isn't the prettiest in some cases, but in others it looks great.
Character models and animations are looking good. Textures look good, lighting looks good, water looks excellent. I was actually astounded by the God Rays at 6:40ish, fucking amazing work!
Combat looks great. I love how fast Geralt moves compared to TW1 and especially TW2. Finishers looked pretty good. The inclusion of the roll alongside the dodge was a good idea. I really like the very tiny pause between attacks, it does a great job of showing off each animation while still keeping the combat fast.

Here's what I'm not a fan of:
The gore and dismemberment are really over the top in some cases. Like when Geralt sliced the bandit in two from horseback. I wasn't grossed out by it, but it just seemed a little too over the top for me. The Axii sign also looked horrible when it was cast on the bandit.
The UI looks kind of ugly to me. It's very plain and I don't understand the reasoning behind most of it being black. Adding some colors or extra designs would be nice. Making it semi-transparent so we can see the world would be even better.
The slow-mo on horseback was extremely unnecessary. An option to turn that off would be nice

Cool video.. Nice to have some new videos to watch,although some parts of this gameplay we already saw.. (Griffin part, riding to inn, fight with those bandits..) Game look very nice and very atmospheric, Geralt and Vesemir animations and interactions are quite nice, lightning is awesome, combat seems fluid, although W2-like but that's quite ok..
As I read already, game was playing on PC with high settings so overall it looks very nice, although not best looking game ever as someone here says, but still very nice looking game, so can't wait for final release..
Only lack of combat music is what was missing here, but ambient sound is great! My only wish was that they show us some different gameplay video, cause so far every video was kind a similar.. I wish there was some dungeon video, or some snow/rain weather video, but maybe they keeping the best before final release and launch trailer.. ;)
Anyway, great work CDPR, and thx for this video.. 6 more weeks and we all will be enjoying this master-piece.. :)

Why the hell should I want to spoiler the game in such a blatant, boring way for myself ???

The opening of a game is among the most "magical" moments in playing a new game imho, especially if done well. Why ruining that magic with releasing the first 15 minutes as a video just two months before release? Sounds pretty weird and pointless to me, sorry...

I certainly won't watch the video but I'll probably can't avoid hearing people talking about it here on the forums or elswhere on the web in the upcoming days and weeks until release.

So thanks for nothing, CDPR. Seems I have to avoid the whole forum now. :(
CDPR, them bastards, releasing something that the majority of people seem enjoy but doesn't live up to Scholdarr's standards about how to market a game. Though the majority of people might just be filthy casuals who don't know what's good for them.

You like being professionally disappointed about almost everything regarding this game so I don't know why I'm bothering, but anyway - it barely spoils anything. I'm pretty sure that anyone following these forums knows the starting line of the story, as in, what Geralt is looking for and who's accompanying him. And it's not technically the first 15 minutes, partly because it skips a certain amount (how much is not stated), partly because there's no tutorial section which is... done... with...

...Ciri? You knew that, right? Or is that a spoiler too? Not used to walking on eggshells in the official forums of the game with a group of people rabidly following every bit of information the company releases.

Anyone else care to speculate on what we see around 14:32, where Geralt strikes the bandit's axe-blade, and the image vibrates? It seems like some sort of disorientation, or disruption, caused by striking the metal, and Geralt is thrown off a bit . . . .
Not sure how the mechanics work, but it's something about adrenaline:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-GDC-and-PAX?p=1557025&viewfull=1#post1557025

Here's what I'm not a fan of:
The gore and dismemberment are really over the top in some cases. Like when Geralt sliced the bandit in two from horseback. I wasn't grossed out by it, but it just seemed a little too over the top for me.
Kinda agree. I like it in its more moderate form like when Geralt severs an arm or decapitates in a finisher, and keeping it rare. But cutting the deserter in half from waist to opposite shoulder seems too much.

The Axii sign also looked horrible when it was cast on the bandit.
I didn't find a problem with it.

On this note I'm happy about their redesign of the basic forms of Axii and Yrden. I did not find them as encouraging to use in TW2 as the other Signs but now they seem to have their own worth.

New Axii is an improved version of TW2's Yrden. They both immobilize, only that with the new Axii you don't need to run around the battlefield until you make the AI walk into that small trap that was Yrden, since you can just cast it from a distance.

And the new Yrden is like a TW2 miniature Heliotrope. Not too big to make it overpowered, not too small to make it frustrating like TW2's Yrden was.

I like the changes to the Signs and I'm curious to see what their alternate form is.

The slow-mo on horseback was extremely unnecessary. An option to turn that off would be nice
The slow-motion is activated by choice of the player. You can choose not to use it.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...es-gameplay!?p=1589292&viewfull=1#post1589292

I have read through this thread, and It is very strange and disappointing that very few posts actually talked about Geralt and Vesemir's interaction. All we seem to care about these days are graphics, but as old fans we forget that graphics were not why Witcher 1 was great nor will it be why WItcher 3 would be great or disappointing. I want to take this time to tell the new fans that the Witcher is not about graphics, but it is about a great story told within a rich lore with a unique and immersive atmosphere. It is about mature subjects and life like gray decisions that have consequences that might surprise you. It is about interesting and deep characters and their relationships. These are the things that are most important in the Witcher.

That being said I loved Geralt and Vesemir's interaction. We felt the father and son relationship, and its portrayal was so subtle and perfect. We see a father and son, that care about each other, trying to hide their emotions and act tough for each other. The expression on Vesemir's face when he asks about Geralt's nightmare, shows that he cares about Geralt. They argue about the rereading the letter like any father and son arguing about silly stuff. Vesemir then raises his voice on Geralt like a father, and Geralt daunts Vesemir with a smart comment like a rebellious kid. Although Geralt is a dick to Vesemir in the beginning, we see that he cares about his old man by the look on his face when Vesemir is injured by the Griffin. Vesemir then acts tough for Geralt by telling him that the beast barely grazed him.
I really liked the strong writing and delivery, which makes Geralt and Vesemir's interaction so smooth and believable.

I agree. The interaction is magnificent.

So much is conveyed, yet very little is told. As someone who hasn't read any of the books, I can't help but marvel at how naturally and convincingly both personalities come through. There's the mentor and mentee relationship, of course, but it's entwined with the kind of banter one would expect from old male friends. The pacing is also wonderful. The pauses, the hesitations, the inflections, they have an almost theatre-like quality that at least in my experience seems absent from most contemporary videogame dialogue, which, for the most part, seeks to pack as much exposition as possible. Here exposition is served in a way that fulfils the higher purpose of shedding light on character. The fact the game is willing to take its time, to spend time on this rather than just walk the player through facts cannot be praised highly enough.

What's strange and disappointing about people discussing graphics? You have got to come to terms with the fact not everyone is going to appreciate TW3, and the series, for that matter, for the exact same reasons that you personally do. To say that The Witcher «is not about graphics» is stating a half-truth. Maybe to you it isn't, and that's perfectly fine, nothing to be quarrelled over. Please extend to others the same right. Deem them fit to decide for themselves what's important to them. I'm terribly sorry, but you're in no position to publish an edict, binding on all Witcher fans, establishing what The WItcher supposedly is or is not about. CD Projekt alone is in the position - and I'm not even entirely sure about that. As for TW3, they spend a lot of resources on graphics. That alone should show you how high it ranks on their list of priorities, but, if in doubt, you can always check the official site's front page, which spells it out rather unambiguously.

The WItcher is about graphics, at least to me it very much is, unapologetically so. I mean, to me, The WItcher is also about graphics, but, of course, not just about graphics. I claim the right to talk about the subject without having to postscript each and every comment with a disclaimer explaining how, even though on this particular occasion I'm restricting myself to just discussing graphics, that does not mean I deem graphics the be-all and end-all of The Wicther series. And I wouldn't be able to let the greatest irony of all pass uncommented: that you're praising Geralt and Vesemir's interaction, and rightly so, yet fail to acknowledge it owes some of its success to beautifully rendered facial expressions and body language, both direct debtors of the increased graphical fidelity TW3 has managed to secure.

In conclusion, I don't find it strange, let alone disappointing, that people discuss specific topics such as graphics, no more than I find it strange that the much narrower topic of the crossbow was the center of a lengthy thread. I'm curious, did you assert a similar «The Witcher is not about the crossbow» there? Fact is this thread offers a good vehicle for a discussion on graphics simply because, for example, the present footage fails rather flat as a gameplay mechanics showcase. So, yes, some people do seem to want to continue discussing the hypothetical downgrade. Apparently, for whichever reason, they are not allowed to do it on the official The WItcher 3 forum.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Noticed how the archer at the end did not miss Geralt ;) :

'tis but a scratch !

And notice how Geralt is full of blood?!
The video was AMAZING in all aspects. I would post a big text, but you already did guys.
Now I am gonna watch the Nostalgia Edition of @TemerianGirl ^.^

Why the hell should I want to spoiler the game in such a blatant, boring way for myself ???

The opening of a game is among the most "magical" moments in playing a new game imho, especially if done well. Why ruining that magic with releasing the first 15 minutes as a video just two months before release? Sounds pretty weird and pointless to me, sorry...
Well, they skipped the opening cinematic and the tutorial, so theoritecally, the magic will still be there - at least for me.

I've never been so excited for a game i believe. That guy instead of going with Vesemir just left to do his thing. The world feels so alive and the freedom you have is truly fantastic. I knew that it's open world of course it in "live" gameplay is just brilliant.

Also great to see that guy being eaten by ghouls.

Top Bottom