Anyone else not liking the graphic executions? [GIF warning]

+
Anyone else not liking the graphic executions? [GIF warning]

The Witcher 3 features som bloody execution moves, as you can see below (From IGN first / Neogaf)

Does anything else feel that's a bit much? I get that it's dramatic and all that, but it's not something I enjoy seeing every fight.

Have a nice day,
Matt

Well i don't know, i kinda liked what i saw so far even though it was a very little sample. On top of that, watching individual scenes on repeat as the ones you posted does make it looks weird after a while. In the course of the game and combat i think it looks great :)

I dont mind them, they were present in previous games and books. And btw, the last is not and execution, just normal hit finishing foe.

EDIT: Also it is important to say that not every enemy you kill will lose limb and not every enemy will be brutally executed.

Last edited:
Of course, swords are known for not leaving a mark in the real world.

Perhaps a little Peckinpah but this is only on critical hit finishers, possibly only with "heavy" blows. I'll play it for a bit then make up my own mind, maybe play with character build and/or options.

Love it.

Game has never been shy on violence (Specifically violent finishers) before, and although perhaps not wholly realistic, brutal executions like this strike me as something that is completely logical for a Witcher game.

Admittedly it does have the potential to get a little repetitive if you end up engaging new groups of enemies fairly consistently and a finisher is playing at the end of every single group. However I'll have to wait and see if I feel like that once I'm playing the game and X hours in.

The only reason I might not like them is their regularity. and that's a big might, as I've loved the creative ways they've had Geralt dispatch his foes. The difference here is Marcin said they'll occur after the final foe in a group is killed, and I wonder if finishers trigger when we stun foes now too. But the ones I've seen look pretty wicked.

Last edited:
Well the slow motion is only on horse back killing and while holding down the attack button it seems. Also in specific moments of takedowns, not for the whole animation. So it doesnt really bother me.

I don't like slo mo finishers.

They're completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. In fact, contrary to what some seem to believe, I find them not in line with the game's overarching restained aesthetics. Geralt doesn't kill for fun and would take no pleasure watching as the blade chops off, severs, decapitates, and a jacuzzi of blood then gushes through. Now, one's roleplaying as Geralt. How exactly are these slo mo finishers in-character again?

Regular speed decapitations and dismemberment, that I have no problem with. Those are simply a contingency.
But slo mo finishers, that's the kind of spectacle Geralt wouldn't engage in.

Wish I was also spared.

Last edited:

They're completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. In fact, contrary to what some seem to believe, I find them not in line with the game's overarching restained aesthetics. Geralt doesn't kill for fun and would take no pleasure watching as the blade chops off, severs, decapitates, and a jacuzzi of blood then gushes through. Now, we're roleplaying as Geralt. How exactly are these slo mo finishers in-character again?

Regular speed decapitations and dismemberment, that I have no problem with. Those are simply a contingency.
But slo mo finishers, they're the kind of spectacle Geralt wouldn't engage in.

This!

What?

How does slo-mo have any kind of effect on Geralt as a character? It's not like time is slowing for Geralt himself, and he's taking pleasure in slowly watching the decapitation and torrents of blood.

It's done for the sake of the player, and I can understand how some folk wouldn't like the slo-mo effect by nature, that I really do completely respect, but slo-mo has zero connection with Geralt as a character.

Geralt doesn't kill for fun and would take no pleasure watching as the blade chops off, severs, decapitates, and a jacuzzi of blood then gushes through. Now, one's roleplaying as Geralt. How exactly are these slo mo finishers in-character again?

He doesnt kill for fun nor does he enjoy it, but his fighting style is bloody. He was never "clean" figther, and he always left carnage behind him. Just ask old Terranova why Geralt chopped his head off, he could have just stabbed him right? :D

I generally think it's appropriate, although I agree slow-motion finishers don't fit the art style imo. However if we see the same level of dismemberment against heavily armored foes it could very well add a ridiculous touch.

I think it mostly looks over the top because we've all become used to "unhurt dead people" after killing them with tanks, grenades, katanas and so on. It's simply something we're accustomed to, because in most video games you don't see reasonable dismemberment.

They're completely unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. In fact, contrary to what some seem to believe, I find them not in line with the game's overarching restained aesthetics. Geralt doesn't kill for fun and would take no pleasure watching as the blade chops off, severs, decapitates, and a jacuzzi of blood then gushes through. Now, one's roleplaying as Geralt. How exactly are these slo mo finishers in-character again?

Wish I was also spared.

Well that ship has sailed as the most outlandish ones were already in TW1. At any rate, DB found a way to disable them in TW2, might be possible here as well. If I were to disable them it'd be for expediency/gameplay purposes.

I like them, except the first one which is a little over the top. Also, why does the body suddenly turns all red, isn't that weird?

One more thing: while these kind of finishers are much better than the ones in TW2, I'd still like to see an option where there's no slow motion or different camera angle at all, just like in TW1.

Top Bottom