Anyone else not liking the graphic executions? [GIF warning]

+
I'd like an option to turn finishing moves off, slow mo effects are so 90s. Also I would like to see a sword able to cut a man in half with a single blow. There goes the idea of the Witcher series being "realistic".

In addition to what have been posted till now:
Man, he is mutated machine, created for the purpose of killing MONSTERS that are deadly to ordinary people. He MUST be faster, stronger and more agile than even the best-trained human :)

Damn, so many ninjas xD

Well that ship has sailed as the most outlandish ones were already in TW1. At any rate, DB found a way to disable them in TW2, might be possible here as well. If I were to disable them it'd be for expediency/gameplay purposes.

True.

That shouldn't hold me from voicing my distaste though.

What?

How does slo-mo have any kind of effect on Geralt as a character? It's not like time is slowing for Geralt himself, and he's taking pleasure in slowly watching the decapitation and torrents of blood.

It's done for the sake of the player,

(...)

Let's go with your point, for the sake of argument (just know it's debatable). You roleplay as Geralt throughout the entire game. On those split second occasions where slo mo finishers get triggered, according to you one is no longer roleplaying as Geralt, but embodied back to oneself as spectator, i. e., those slo mo finishers amount to a suspension of the game's intrinsic nature. How that could be seen as a positive is difficult for me to imagine.

(...)

Agent Bleu I don't understand what you mean by slow-mo being something that Geralt would engage in. It's a developer's addition to make it cinematic, I'm not sure what it has to do with the character. Also, I'm not sure where you get this,

(...)

He's kinda brutal at times.

The point is straightforward, I would have thought.
Slow motion renders the mechanical act per se - not its motivations, not its circumstances, not its intent - an object of contemplation. The act itself is taken completely out of context - by virtue of the simple change in speed and change in camera angle - and made into a spectacle in its own right. Notice that in this regard it is very different from, say, how Tarantino's Kill Bill tackles violence. There, gory sequences are perfectly in-character and in line with the revengeful tragedy the film is recounting.

Not so here.

The reference to Geralt being emotional is completely moot, I find. What triggers those slo mo finishers has nothing to do with how Geralt feels about his opponent. Nothing to do with moral inclinations. Geralt just met a random generic bandit on the road he wouldn't otherwise give the time of day and proceeds to decapitate him. He has zero attractant to the outcome aside from avoiding nuisance. And yet we're treated to this au ralenti jacuzzi of blood.

Right.

Just to reiterate - because it does seem to have escaped at least one fellow forum member - I have no problem with regular speed decapitations and dismemberment.

Last edited:
He has zero attractant to the outcome aside from escaping alive. And yet we're treated to this au ralenti jacuzzi of blood.

Right.

In the books there were several descriptions of Geralt killing in a very awful-looking way. Some times becouse he wanetd to scare the others, sometimes becouse he was pissed off. And sometimes, becouse when you kill a person it usually look nasty. And swords have a very bad tendency to cut some parts off. Don't blame them 'tho xD

Let's go with your point, for the sake of argument (just know it's debatable). You roleplay as Geralt throughout the entire game. On those split second occasions where slo mo finishers get triggered, according to you one is no longer roleplaying as Geralt, but embodied back to oneself as spectator, i. e., those slo mo finishers amount to a suspension of the game's intrinsic nature. How that could be seen as a positive is difficult for me to imagine.

When I'm playing Dungeons and Dragons I play as my character, but I'm also always aware of the meta.
When I'm reading the Witcher novels I'm putting myself in Geralt's shoes, but I'm ultimately still always aware I'm reading words on a page.

Needing the game to perfectly emulate your roleplaying experience, without allowing ANY room for moments where you can enjoy something from the perspective of the player and not Geralt, just seems utterly ridiculous. I guess it's a matter of everyone viewing this stuff differently, but I don't see any issue at all with the notion of having certain aspects of the game where you can observe something as the "player", and yet still for the most part role-playing as Geralt.
If we really want to view it with such specific roleplaying restrictions, then simply the fact that it uses a Third Person Camera is already a dealbreaker.

It doesnt seem too realistic to cut a man in half just like that, but like some of you said, Geralt is a mutant with great swords so I can live with it (and it does look really cool).

If there is one thing from this gameplay that I would point as a flaw, that would be number of conflicts. I remember that a few months ago someone from CDPR or some journalist who played it (I really dont remember who) stated that every combat will feel like an event. Maybe he talked about monster hunt, and fight with big monsters, but what I have understood is that conflicts will not happen very often, and that sound to me that every fight will be special. I dont like it so much that I have to get down from horse every 2-3 minutes to fight with some petty enemies, there are too many games that are like that, in Witcher 3 I hoped to have a reallistic feeling whenever there is a fight and someone is killed.

Then again, person who played was probably looking for conflict so maybe I am wrong

Do we like it or not, but at the end it's CDPR's team point of view of the Geralt in the books. And I luckly agree with it. There's a detail which almost everybody forget: TW are the game CDPR always wanted to play, their hero, the Mutant from the books where the author allows at the every inner child of us enter in a strong, rough and mature story joining Geralt.

The aspect of a mutant master swordsman cutting a man in half appeals to me.

Guess that makes me a kid.

Probably!?

I don't have problem with this cutting, but the first one is exaggerated.
But this is waste of time and resources if you ask me, especially for this type of the game. This isn't easy to make.

However, when it's implemented properly like here:

The point is straightforward, I would have thought.
Slow motion renders the mechanical act per se - not its motivations, not its circumstances, not its intent - an object of contemplation. The act itself is taken completely out of context - by virtue of the simple change in speed - and made into a spectacle on its own right. Notice that in this regard it is very different from, say, how Kill Bill tackles violence. There, gory sequences are perfectly in-character and in line with the revengeful tragedy the film is recounting.

Not so here.

The reference to Geralt being emotional is completely moot, I find. What triggers those slo mo finishers has nothing to do with how Geralt feels about his opponents. Nothing to do with moral inclinations. Geralt just met a random generic bandit on the road he wouldn't otherwise give the time of day and proceeds to decapitate him.

He has zero attractant to the outcome aside from escaping alive. And yet we're treated to this jacuzzi of blood.

Right.
Gotta admit, I read this post many times to comprehend it but I'm too thick to. So instead I'll just intuitively write down a couple of things I think have to do with the matter, but I'm kinda shooting blind here.

I wrote about Geralt being emotional in combat in order to explain why at times he's so savage in it. That savagery can result in a jacuzzi of blood and a lot of dismemberment. It's in line with the character. This is just to set that brutality has a place in the witcher's fighting style. The jacuzzi would still be a jacuzzi no matter the speed it's being shown at, so I must be missing something about this.

What you write about slow-motion is more tricky and where I'm mostly fumbling in the dark here, because you're going to philosophical directions about game design and role-playing that I don't understand. This is beyond me honestly, so I'll keep it simple - why does playing from a third-person perspective and having a game with cinematic scenes and odd angles and the camera revolving around the protagonist not in line with a few slow-motion moments? I'm not seeing the inconsistency here.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add that my personal take on slow-mo is much more banal than many people here - I just like the cool factor. I'm not sophisticated like that.

Last edited:
The first one looks really stupid.

These executions are implemented for kids who think this is cool. Wow, look at me, i cut the man in half!!!
Yep, seems like CDPR did they homework by watching anime rather than reading Witcher books.

I remember this was already discussed some good time ago,

While I am all for finishers (as in - "yeah, he'd be dead after that") instead of enemies simply dropping to the ground all the time while being totally intact, I feel the SLOMO trend is bad for a fast paced combat game.
it worked in Skyrim, in the 300 movies etc because the combat there is already relatively slow and/or cinematic, so you need another layer of "oomph".
I remember however, what we had the opportunity to switch the bullet time off, and then I'll love them.

as long as the will not be to repetitive

Edit: concerning the Roleplay aspect of Geralt, he was a cruel swordsman - seizeing an opportunity to get to the enemy when there was one, even if it is the achilles heel - so bloody and dirty it should be

Yep, seems like CDPR did they homework by watching anime rather than reading Witcher books.

Of course, Geralt in the books is not brutal in combat and he doesn't wield razor sharp swords.

Personally I fail to see how the finishers we've seen so far resemble anything close to "anime". But to each their own.

Wait, there are anime shows about swordfighting with amputation? I must be familiar only with pretty mature series because I've never seen the childish ones with dismemberment. A few links please?

I'm loving it

I like that there actually seems to be some physical model behind the horseback strikes, giving them a greater striking power generated from the kinetic energy of the horse and thus resulting in mightier hits just like it would in reality

No problem with the blood and brutal limb removal (it really aint that hard to that jsu against some cloth and meat) as long as it takes armor into the account

Top Bottom