Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
Indeed. Terrible timing. Gamers are on the edge with paid content

They are on edge with unfair paid content. This is different here. However I agree that announcing it now is weird. As well as selling something that's not developed yet is also not normal. It calls for big fans I assume, who want to support developers.

In such case, why can't CDPR go the normal route and start a crowdfunding campaign? That's the way to do it.

we do not know if the content is cut from the game or not, nor will CDPR confirm it if it were to be true either, so it is pointless to discuss that, at least for now, until we get some solid info on that, either way all of this is subjective for the most part, and all of you are free to do with your money whatever you want obviously, I am just trying to get some people to think about the subject since it is my strong belief that these practices are bad for the consumer, it is a fact actually, but the way you go about it and the ways you can comfort/justify your actions to support those practices are subjective

How expansions used to be.... shame most people don't get the concept anymore.

Last edited:
They are on edge with unfair paid content. This is different here. However I agree that announcing it now is weird. As well as selling something that's not developed yet is also not normal. It calls for big fans I assume, who want to support developers.

In such case, why can't CDPR go the normal route and start a crowdfunding campaign? That's the way to do it.

It's surely in development from awhile, becuse the game was supposed to come out in February.
But people now is confused and fomented by haters because of that open letter about free DLCs.
I know it was about small content, but a lot of people don't.

So...it would have been better release the game first, then the 16 DLCs, and in August/September announce the expansions.

Just out of curiosity, how much are they charging for EA titles there?

Nowadays the price for standard editions of new EA games for PC like Dragon Age: Inquisition or Battlefield Hardline is somewhere around 180zł (€60), AAA titles from other companies usually cost somewhere between 100 and 140zł with some exceptions.

Games in Poland are generally getting more and more pricey - a few years back they very rarely exceeded 100zł (like Witcher 2 when it was released) but nowadays it's not really the case.

Edit: Sorry, I meant $60, €60 is closer to the prices of console games here.

Last edited:
we do not know if the content is cut from the game or not, nor will CDPR confirm it if it were to be true either, so it is pointless to discuss that, at least for now, until we get some solid info on that, either way all of this is subjective for the most part, and all of you are free to do with your money whatever you want obviously, I am just trying to get some people to think about the subject since it is my strong belief that these practices are bad for the consumer, it is a fact actually, but the fact you go about it and the ways you can comfort/justify your actions to support those practices are subjective

What's bad is what I described above. Artificially delayed release, artificially cut content, etc. Bad companies engage in such junky practices, yes. But CDPR never did it so far. If they released an expansion pack, an enhanced edition or whatever - they took time developing it, and not sitting on it from the beginning. So I see no reason to blame them for those crooked practices above.

Pre-ordering however (i.e. paying for something before it's out) is more questionable. I prefer to invest in crowdfunding instead of pre-ordering. Since it's a more clear relationship with developers.

Last edited:
Just came to say the timing seems weird but 1 or 2 people might have beaten me to the punch :p

I'm not going to buy this until I've had my fill of the game personally.

we do not know if the content is cut from the game or not, nor will CDPR confirm it if it were to be true either, so it is pointless to discuss that, at least for now, until we get some solid info on that,
Agreed.

Edit: Well, sort of agree. We don't know, but I think that even suggesting it's cut content when the products are meant to release half a year after needs to lift a pretty heft burden of proof.

either way all of this is subjective for the most part,
What is subjective?

and all of you are free to do with your money whatever you want obviously, I am just trying to get some people to think about the subject since it is my strong belief that these practices are bad for the consumer,
What practices?

Last edited:
Wow, amazing reveal. I NEVER would of expected Toussaint to appear in TW3! Great location from the books where Dandelion had some "problems" there :p. Place is famous for its wine. Located in a beautiful valley if I remember correctly?

Guys we should be praising CDPR for this, 30 hours of expansion content!? The whole idea of expansion packs is somewhat rare nowadays as most developers prefer releasing small paid DLC campaigns. This brings me back to the good old days. God bless CDPR!

Indeed. Terrible timing. Gamers are on the edge with paid content
It is the sole thing of timing

Wolfenstein: The New Order gets an expansion pack announced after the game priced $20 for about 10 hours of content. Many fans get excited and have no doubt that it wasn't cut content

The Witcher 3 announces two expansion packs priced $25 for 30* hours or so of content BEFORE release and people get concerned it's cut content and get upset.

So what? Why do you care how many months pass in between? It's still an expansion pack.

because that's the definition of a (season) pass. multiple DLCs/expansions that will come out some time in the future and you pay for them at once beforehand (and at a reduced price). by buying a pass you get all the extra content for the game that comes out within a certain timeframe. that's how it is usually.

Last edited:
Just coming here to simply say "fantastic". So far everything came as I have hoped for ... It will be like back in the days where I bought the expension pack from oblivion ( shiviering islands) ... If ithose expensions are going to be as satisfying as that ..it would be perfect.... I will glady get those ...

Or do we get a season pass from the CE ? But I guess that would blow the value of the CE out of proportion ?;D ... just came to mind

because that's the definition of a (season) pass. multiple DLCs/expansions that will come out some time in the future and you pay for them at once beforehand (and at a reduced price).

Paying beforehand is weird to begin with. But what's more important, does "pass" imply that it's already developed from the beginning, or it's actually being developed during that time passing?

day 1 expansions/DLC, and the fact that they do not come out at that date does not dictate the provided title

Let's break it down in the simplest way possible. This is the order of events:
- CDPR works on TW3.
- TW3 releases.
- CDPR works on expansions.
- Expansions release.

A bit of semantics as I get your point, they will likely work on content before the release simply due to the fact that there is a period where the game is in submission / in print / in delivery where the dev team does not have much to do besides a potential patch once the game is 'done'. What the content is and who is working on it will surely depend on what each individual's workload is currently and what the schedule/budget is. But for a basic breakdown, it still suffices.

Funnily enough, it seems like many people forget that expansions have been around for a long time, even before 'DLC' - Half Life, Age of Empires, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces, Sims, Diablo, Starcraft, etc. DLC has just been the digital version of that and has expanded to include small content releases now because of the development of the internet and the discovery of microtransactions.

They probably have some new ideas or things they aren't able to spend time on to put into the main release, which is totally fine going into an expansion pack for me. After all, look at just how much they are putting in the initial release. It would make sense that some stuff originally cut a while back may be revisited now. Also, it makes sense that they will be rolling onto these right after the game is complete. If they wait too long, interest in the content will wane as time passes by.

I have a few questions
I have a PS4 and the base game will be from US region. Now DLCs on PS4 are region locked. So if I buy an expansion pack on a EU PSN account will the expansion work with US base game?

- Will these expansions require original game?
- Will the expansion packs be released on physical disks?

Well, the backlash results from a combination of multiple PR faux pas.

1) Again, why is CD Projekt accepting pre-orders at this point in time and apparently without offering any benefit whatsoever in return?

2) The dollars per hour of content ratio seems a tad inflated to me. It still stands as good value for money but invoking historical legitimacy just seems like a poor excuse. I would really like to know the rationale behind this price point.

3) Why would you announce 2 paid expansion packs without further disclosing your plans for the 12 reaming free DLC packs, whose reveal got such an enthusiastic reception but about which you've kept silent ever since?
You know what would have helped? Exactly that. Announcing the two paid packs and at the same time revealing two or three of those free DLC morsels, just so everyone would get the message they're two entirely separate lodes of content.

4) Calling it an expansion pass is inviting bad memories in and thus attracting bad publicity,

5) Those titles - «Hearts of Stone», «Blood and Wine» - verge on the cliché. Not the sort of image CD Projekt RED would seek to project.

I an hereby volunteering.
PR dept, reporting in. :teeth:

Ah, and as usual, the NeoGAF thread on the subject is priceless.

Last edited:
Paying beforehand is weird to begin with. But what's more important, does "pass" imply that it's already developed from the beginning, or it's actually being developed during that time passing?

doesn't imply anything, it's just a ticket for future content. everything else depends on the developers.

Top Bottom