Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
My brother raised a fair point about this. Old school expansions always expanded the game by adding new features and improving old mechanics. So what does an old school expansion offer to an RPG like The Witcher 3? I told him as long they have good, standalone stories with a strong tone then I think these expansions will be fine. But if they're going to charge you money for one quest-line then it better be one of the best quest-lines in the game --even as good as the main story.

On another note. They said before that they won't make a Witcher 4, but they can't imagine completely abandoning an IP they spent 8 years building. I can see them making 6-7 expansions for The Witcher 3 over the next 2-3 years to continue the story of the Witcher world --not necessarily the story in The Witcher 3-- after the game ends. They spent 4 years building this massive open-world RPG and making 20-30 hour expansions would be a way for them to keep making money from the IP without having to make a sequel. It would also be similar to the way The Witcher novels are written which started as a collection of short-stories.

Last edited:
Hell yes. True expansion pack, and that too a 30 hour meaty experience. Awesome!

CDPR really understands DLC and expansions. Take my money.

I am surprised that CDPR has not waited for TW3 to come out first before mentioning the two expansions.

I will still buy them but will wait for more info like will they be playable after TW3 is complete or can we play them before the ending of TW3 and other info?

does it matter ? for a game like this multiple playthroughs are a given , at least for me .. you could always play the expension on your sencond or third or more playthrough^^.. this jsut means witcher 3 will entertain you for a long time

---------- Updated at 11:20 PM ----------

Am i the only one who feels like 30 hours is just not enough.[/QUOTE]

Propably yes. That's 15+ hours more content than in most AAA titles these days.

Well, if you think that the main story is 50 hours, then 30 hours for $20-$25 is pretty plenty :) Also, for the non-completionists, 30 hours was the time that first and second games took to finish. So an entire game's worth of content for that money is pretty good in my opinion.

I think, in some ways, they might've wanted to announce it before release to take advantage of prerelease hype as free marketing. Personally, I had no idea Dragon Age Inquistition already had DLC out until a few days ago because I beat that game and forgot about it.

Well, if you think that the main story is 50 hours, then 30 hours for $20-$25 is pretty plenty :) Also, for the non-completionists, 30 hours was the time that first and second games took to finish. So an entire game's worth of content for that money is pretty good in my opinion.
True. But in my opinion quality matters more than quantity. What is 20-30 hours of quests when the game already has 200 hours worth of quests to begin with?

Last edited:
They're promising 10 hours + and 20 Hours +, so I imagine it'll be possible to last longer, if people explore, and linger over their adventures.

---------- Updated at 11:20 PM ----------

Am i the only one who feels like 30 hours is just not enough.

Propably yes. That's 15+ hours more content than in most AAA titles these days.

This is a pretty good point. Bioshock Infinite for me was 12.5 hours and probably close to the best $60 I've ever spent.

Do I think two TW3 expansions will be as good as Bioshock Infinite? No, not really. But I'm getting twice as much of it and only have to pay a third the price, so I'm feeling the value for content here is waaaaay more than fair.

True. But in my opinion quality matters more than quantity. What is 20-30 hours of quests when the game already has 200 hours worth of quests to begin with?

10 - 15% more game on your game. But that's actually a misnomer.

The game currently promises 100 hours of quests, not 200. (50 main story, 50 in sidequests). The 200+ hours number is a completionist number only.

So closer to 30%. Which is assuming that an expansion promising 10 or 20 hours of new content is going to provide you with half of that in side quests, and half of that in central plot, which is very unlikely to be the case.

If we get 80% ( 24 hours) of that play time working through a central narrative, then it's like getting an additional campaign with half of the duration of the TW3s main story.

Last edited:
@Phinnway Well, I don't really have any suspicion about the quality of the content that they will provide, going by their track record :) Also, what @Vixraine said.

Absolutely.
But the question - rhetorical - then becomes whether that is in his best interest as a consumer or not.
Why should anyone pre-order this pass when 1) very little by way of specifics is known about the content, 2) The price point is actually less appealing than that of the standard title, and, last but not least, 3) it seems there's no benefit associated with pre-ordering?

I think this is the question REDs would be well advised to answer.

It's $20.00 bucks. It is a game. No one is putting a gun to your head to buy it. If that is how anyone makes a purchase decision on a $20.00 product...

I just spent $42.50 to go see Furious 7 (2 1/2 hrs) with my son, on iMAX. In about 7 days, I am writing a check to the IRS for $10,000.00. $20.00 for 20-30 hrs of entertainment from a video game I really enjoy? Cool.

As a general comment: 32 page thread, about half of it (if not more) whining about the announcement date, conspiracy theories about cut content... stop it.

Last edited:
@Vixraine I don't see the point in distinguishing between the 50/50 number and the 200 hour number. You're assuming the extra 100 hours content isn't quests. 100 hours of object collecting? Come on now... And the developer who made that 50/50 statement said that was a conservative estimate for PR purposes, and he thought 200 hours was a more realistic number.

And @arkhenon I don't doubt the quests will be high quality. I just hope they offer something unique from the rest of the quests in the game.

Moderator: Posts made solely to disparage other members' posts will be deleted, and if repeated there will be formal action against members' accounts. There will be no further warnings.

I'd like to hear more before getting hyped, but it does sound interesting. Reminds me of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion expansions. Knights of the Nine takes place in Cyrodiil and offers more than a few hours of fun (along with kick ass fucking armor!). Shivering Isles offers a new map to explore with a lot of new content.

Apparently there is a steam error(?) that has The Witcher 3 being displayed as released today, and the release date for the expansion pass is also set for today.

This is the mostly likely source/misinformation for people saying that this is 'Day 1 DLC' and that CDPR used dev time from the game to work on this content.

Did anyone else notice that if you buy The Witcher 3 + The Expansion Pass bundle it doesn't factor in your discounts on TW3? It should charge you $73 -- $48 for TW3 plus $25 for the expansion pass. But instead it charges you $80.

I made a post about this in the GOG thread but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Thank you CDProjekt RED for announce the expansions when you feel confident to do it.
I don't support in any way the idea a company should be less transparent for the sake of the hype or for fear to misunderstandings.

Thank you also for keep your promise. You charge for extra content only when is big enough to call it an old school expansion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom