Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
The retail copy has the code for Steam?

I have booked from Amazon, the Day One Edition version.
Do you know if the code will be redeemed on Steam? I guess so, otherwise how would sell key sites online? I know it's DRM Free but I would like it on Steam since I have the first two in my library Steam.

I have booked from Amazon, the Day One Edition version.
Do you know if the code will be redeemed on Steam? I guess so, otherwise how would sell key sites online? I know it's DRM Free but I would like it on Steam since I have the first two in my library Steam.

No, if you have bought the retail version, you will get the game on disk (DRM-free). It won't include a Steam code.

If you prefer the Steam version, you should buy from Steam.

No, if you have bought the retail version, you will get the game on disk (DRM-free). It won't include a Steam code.

If you prefer the Steam version, you should buy from Steam.
Then the keys of Steam that sell online sites where the are? They are not inside the package?

If you want a digital code, buy a digital code. If you want a GoG or Steam code, buy from GoG or Steam.

I strongly recommend that if you want a digital key/game, you purchase from the store you trust directly. GoG, Steam, etc are great sites that have excellent reputations for reliability and are worth your trust. It is possible that some site that promises to sell you a key for GoG, Steam, etc is on the up and up, but you run a risk that it is not. Think of it this way: If GoG/Steam sell the game for $50, but the site you are visiting say they sell it for $45, that would mean they had to purchase it and resell it to you at a loss to them of $5. This is bad business and seems odd to me. Yes, if they are bundling the code into a deal "Buy a new PC, get a code for free" that is a different matter, but selling cheap codes is... unusual and a little shifty.

This does not apply to official partners who offer codes as part of promotions, such as the recently announced Nvidia partnership. I am solely discussing "retailers" who promise to sell cheap codes.

I found something interesting.

I'd just like to point out, that particular answer doesn't have [RED] after it, which means they're guessing. So it's still probably better to assume not unless there's an official announcement saying otherwise.

The official statement is still in the post above yours.

The collectors edition of the Witcher 3 has no DRM and that means it is a self standing game. To add a Steam code to the collectors edition means that you asking for two games. There is no way you are going to get two games for the price of one plus some extra goodies.

If you are buying the PC collectors edition then there is no need for you to be buying the Steam version in order to play the damn game. If it's your personal preference to have the Steam version in addition to the collectors edition, then you have to pay for that preference.

Why not just buy the limited collectors edition which is sold out nearly everywhere, now and then buy the Steam version later through a Steam Sale. But you must have it when the game launches. So then it's your choice. And if that is what is your choice. Pay for it. Don't ask for DRM codes in retail. IMO retail shouldn't have Steam DRM in order to instal and play.
Buying digital games in retail. What shit is that.

I am buying the xbox one collectors edition for the extra goodies. I am buying the PC retail version because it has no DRM and I like it like that, and it will be a nice addition to my shelf. And I will also be buying the GOG version as a thank you to CDPR. That's three games and I'm not complaining about the costs. I know the need for retail to not have DRM and I will support that. And not complain about personal preference.
Buying digital games in retail. And now asking for 2 games for the price of one, in retail. The world is going crazy. Personal preference trumps logic. Never think about other people, only think about ourselves.

The Witcher 3 is how games are meant to be launched in retail and digitally. The Witcher 3 is the perfect example of how games should be released, retail and digital. And you want to fuck all that up so that you can get 2 games for the price of one.

Last edited:
Asking for DRM in a non-drm product, whereby cutting off lot's of people who can't buy digital from purchasing the retail product, is not a good idea. And some would suggest, bloody rude to suggest DRM in a Non drm product on these forums. joking. Don't take shit seriously.

I just explained to you what it means to add a Steam code to a non DRM product. 2 for 1 special. The rest I wasn't really speaking to you personally. More to the Steam people who must have Steam with everything but can't imagine all the people who get cut off from buying games because of Steam in retail.

My advice. Buy the collectors edition and worry about Steam later. If Steam is that important to you, drop the collectors edition and get the Steam version. If you must have both, yeah, follow your own path.

@Persei8 having a steam key in the box doesn't cut anyone off, only if the devs/publisher wants it to. obviously if they are gonna put a key in it, it's gonna be a gog key, but technically there is no difference between the two. you get an extra copy of the game in both cases.

@Persei8 having a steam key in the box doesn't cut anyone off, only if the devs/publisher wants it to. obviously if they are gonna put a key in it, it's gonna be a gog key, but technically there is no difference between the two. you get an extra copy of the game in both cases.

The whole world is not connected to the internet. There are many, many houses that are still not connected to the internet, by choice, even not by choice, most of the time not by choice.

So a very simple experiment. Buy Batman at retail for the PC. Take it to a household with no internet and try to install and play Batman. Then buy The Witcher 3 and take it to the same household who doesn't have internet and try to install and play The Witcher 3. If there is a gamer in that household, will that gamer be buying PC games or is that gamer cut off from buying PC games.

My small bubble, friends and family, lot's of PC users, lots of gamers, 3 has internet installed to the house including me. My small bubble is a big number. There is a computer in every household and more than one gamer in every household. How many are buying PC games regularly, none of us. How many of us are buying The Witcher 3, a lot of us because the Witcher 3 doesn't cut anyone off from buying it.
This is just my small bubble and not even accounting the communities, towns, cities.

I know you Steam people can only focus on your own personal bubble and judge the world from that personal bubble experience. It is time for you Steam people to only buy your games at Steam and leave the retail market clear of Steam codes. And when I say your own personal bubble, I mean a bubble where it's just you in it buying PC games and reflect that onto the rest of the world.

Steam doesn't cut off people. lol. Why were people upset that Xbox One needed constant internet. Steam is fine or so you Steam people like to say. But there was a big outcry against Microsoft. Why was that. Is it that most people don't have internet. Maybe people don't like handing over their gaming rights to Microsoft. Xbox One still needs an initial update from the internet before it can work and play game, so the console itself is the same as buying a PC game right. PS4 works and plays games out of the box. PS4 is selling way more. Is it because people are cut off from the Microsoft console.

Steam doesn't cut anyone off. lol.

Last edited:
okay, let's try this again. just because there is a steam key in the box, doesn't mean you have to use steam. if cdpr puts the drm-free version on the disc and puts a piece of paper with a steam key next to it that isn't gonna hurt anybody. at least not any costumer.

okay, let's try this again. just because there is a steam key in the box, doesn't mean you have to use steam. if cdpr puts the drm-free version on the disc and puts a piece of paper with a steam key next to it that isn't gonna hurt anybody. at least not any costumer.

Yes, it does hurt the customer.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, and someone, somewhere, is paying for that Steam key. It may be Steam themselves, it may be CDPR, but ultimately, that means the customer. Providing a "free" Steam key means that the cost is spread across all customers, so everyone else is contributing to the cost for those who do want it.

And the reason that CDPR manages to stay independent of publishers, and make the games that we, the customers, want is because they have a constant revenue from GOG. CDPR sells on rival platforms, such as Steam or Origin, in order to give their customers choice. But encouraging the use of Steam wouldn't really be a sound business practice, and wouldn't be beneficial to those customers who are have an interest in CDPR's long-term ability to make games.

why is the physical version of the game the ONLY option to purchase on Amazon.com? id like the option to choose between digital non DRM or Steam but taking that choice away from the consumer? it sucks.

It means CDPR has to pay an extra fee to Steam for that. Do they need it? I don't think so. They are already paying to Steam for sales on Steam itself. In the best case, those who bought physical versions might get a free GOG copy at some future point, like it happened with TW1 and TW2.

---------- Updated at 03:36 AM ----------

why is the physical version of the game the ONLY option to purchase on Amazon.com? id like the option to choose between digital non DRM or Steam but taking that choice away from the consumer? it sucks.

Why do you need Amazon for that? If you want a digital copy, go to a store which sells it, such as GOG. No one took away your choice.

---------- Updated at 03:36 AM ----------
Why do you need Amazon for that? If you want a digital copy, go to a store which sells it, such as GOG.

taking the choice away and forcing the customer to purchase directly from one source is just as bad as forcing DRM down the users throat. the question still remains.. why is the digital version of the Witcher 3 not on Amazon.com?

it isnt on greenmangaming as well..

Top Bottom