The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Gpu. GeForce GTX 980 SLI
Cpu. i7-4820 @3.70GHz
Memory. 16.00 GB Ram
Windows 8.1
Can i run this on high / ultra at 2560 x 1440 and still get go fps you think? Is this going to work with SLI if so is it going to be fully optimize on release or be patch in later ? Thanks.

If you can't ultra @ 1440p and get good fps with those specs, nothing will.

Do you guys think I could run the game at High or Ultra with these main components?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)

I am more or less building the same rig myself. I hope to get average of 40-50 fps on ultra @1440p with 2xmsaa/no aa. The Witcher 3 should be much more optimized for the new Nvidia cards than DA:I (another demanding open world game). Especially given the media cover Nvidia has done for TW3 + their marketing campaign at the moment.

Last edited:
I haven't dared overclock it. Although i did OC my CPU i am scared s**tless to try it on the card. If it gets fried it'll feel like i threw my poor money out the window.

It's not that I am encouraging you to OC but Maxwell changed everything when it comes to OC, it's extremely friendly. I can reach 1400 Mhz on my GTX 980s without touching voltages. Voltage tweaking is always dangerous and greatly increase the heat output so this is something I avoid myself too.

Gpu. GeForce GTX 980 SLI
Cpu. i7-4820 @3.70GHz
Memory. 16.00 GB Ram
Windows 8.1
Can i run this on high / ultra at 2560 x 1440 and still get go fps you think? Is this going to work with SLI if so is it going to be fully optimize on release or be patch in later ? Thanks.

Your machine is quiet ahead than what GameStar journalist used to play the game so I don't see why it can't pull off 60 fps with ultra settings at 1440p, of course that depends on a good SLI profile from Nvidia but judging by their close partnership with CDPR I think we'll get a good profile at release.

Do you guys think I could run the game at High or Ultra with these main components?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

That's a strong machine man, nothing to worry about.

hey guys!

thinking of getting a titan X for witcher 3. i'm pretty sure it'll be able to max the game at 1080p, but i might upgrade to 1440p or 21:9. thoughts?

rest of my rig is a delidded 4770k @ 4.2, 16 gigs of ram, various ssds, etc.

hey guys!

thinking of getting a titan X for witcher 3. i'm pretty sure it'll be able to max the game at 1080p, but i might upgrade to 1440p or 21:9. thoughts?

rest of my rig is a delidded 4770k @ 4.2, 16 gigs of ram, various ssds, etc.

I think you'll be fine with a Titan X, that thing is powerful. I am pretty sure it will handle 1440p as well without problems.

It's not that I am encouraging you to OC but Maxwell changed everything when it comes to OC, it's extremely friendly. I can reach 1400 Mhz on my GTX 980s without touching voltages. Voltage tweaking is always dangerous and greatly increase the heat output so this is something I avoid myself too.

Are you talking OC through afterburner or flashing the cards BIOS? Which do you recommend since i never tried it on a graphics card.

Last edited:
I haven't dared overclock it. Although i did OC my CPU i am scared s**tless to try it on the card. If it gets fried it'll feel like i threw my poor money out the window.
Are you talking OC through afterburner or flashing the cards BIOS? Which do you recommend since i never tried it on a graphics card.
Mate overclocking your graphics card is safe and easy you don't even need to touch voltages and you should still get a nice 15-20% boost. I use Evga precisionX but MSI Arfterburner is good aswell. Watch afew tutorials on youtube its easy as.

Mate overclocking your graphics card is safe and easy you don't even need to touch voltages and you should still get a nice 15-20% boost. I use Evga precisionX but MSI Arfterburner is good aswell. Watch afew tutorials on youtube its easy as.

I'll give it a go when i get the chance. Should i try overclocking both core and memory frequency? If i do both, one a time or is it safe to do both together ?

I'll give it a go when i get the chance. Should i try overclocking both core and memory frequency? If i do both, one a time or is it safe to do both together ?

yeah both core and memory. its best to do it one at a time and run some tests to check if the overclock is stable.

just run some benchmarking programs, i use 3dmark Firestrike, unigine vally/heaven and just check for artifacting or crashes

Last edited:
Finally got the new gpu so I should be good right?
I5 3570k
8gb ram
gtx 970

First game I tested last weekend after I got it in was Dragon Age Inquisition which had given my old 660 a little trouble. On the 970 it runs like butter on ultra for most settings. Witcher 3?

Just some info for those interested although not entirely on topic i suppose, still in the spirit of the thread :)

My palit GTX 970 was already overclocked a bit: Core clock 1152MHz (1304MHz boost) and Memory clock 3500MHz.

Pushed Core clock to 1250MHz and MEM clock to 3750MHz. That is an extra 100MHz on core and 250MHz on memory.

Unigine heaven results are 77.9fps now compared to 73.1fps on stock GPU speeds. Very nice and stable so far, no problems. I think this is enough of a boost for now.

---------- Updated at 07:18 PM ----------

Finally got the new gpu so I should be good right?
I5 3570k
8gb ram
gtx 970

First game I tested last weekend after I got it in was Dragon Age Inquisition which had given my old 660 a little trouble. On the 970 it runs like butter on ultra for most settings. Witcher 3?

You will be fine, i think you'll run 1080p on high and maybe even some ultras as well :)

Last edited:
Just some info for those interested although not entirely on topic i suppose, still in the spirit of the thread :)

My palit GTX 970 was already overclocked a bit: Core clock 1152MHz (1304MHz boost) and Memory clock 3500MHz.

Used MSI Afterburner and GPU-z. Currently managed to overclock it to 1225MHz Core clock and 3600MHz Memory clock and running stability tests. Haven't increased power limits because it seems like the TDP in GPU-z is still to about 93% which gives quite a bit of space for more if the card can take it.

Not any massive boosts to fps yet. Unigine heaven ran with an average of 73.1fps at stock while with the overclock it ran at 75.6fps.

---------- Updated at 07:18 PM ----------

You will be fine, i think you'll run 1080p on high and maybe even some ultras as well :)

Yep! Gonna stick with 1080p for the foreseeable future! :)

Well crap.. My plans running this game on i7-4790 and gtx 980 didn't work out.

Think I could run on ultra 60fps @ 1080p?
i5-2500k
Asus Strix GTX 980
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Well crap.. My plans running this game on i7-4790 and gtx 980 didn't work out.

Think I could run on ultra 60fps @ 1080p?
i5-2500k
Asus Strix GTX 980
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Although the CPU is listed as minimum, it's still a bloody powerfull CPU and since the graphics card you got is totally awesome and 16 gigs of RAM, i think you will be fine. Probably above 50 for sure.

Also, if you are into overclocking you could get an insane amount of overclock from the i5-2500K, although i would probably wait for release to see how it runs as it is

Thanks! I might remember wrong but there was a video interview with the devs where they talked about threads and they said that TW3 utilizes 6 threads. Makes sense since consoles have 6 cpu threads also. In that case I might be in trouble. Going to find that video and post the link here.. man there's alot of them.

It depends on how CPU-bound those 6 threads are. If they really have 6 threads doing compute work, you will get a big boost from hyperthreading and 8-core AMD CPUs. If some of those threads spend their time waiting for events or supervising data transfers, a Core i5 will do just as well.

Note that a thread needs to occupy a core (or an HT context) only when it is computing. When it's waiting for an event, such as for a data transfer it started to finish, it doesn't need a core, and Windows and the CPU are good at scheduling it out and scheduling another thread in.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzyZ9JBFThQ (English subs available) Talk about optimization Starts around 51:20.

I was wrong. They do talk abot 6 cores though but realy they only said that 2 cores isn't enough. 4 cores is the minimum.

@GuyNwah I guess we know when the game is out how threads are utilized. Since i5 can do 4 threads simultaneosly, consoles 6 and i7&xeon&amd more. I expected this to be optimized for 6 cpu threads because of the consoles. But I understand that pc:s can do those threads much faster and gain linearity even without ht.

---------- Updated at 06:53 PM ----------

Also, if you are into overclocking you could get an insane amount of overclock from the i5-2500K, although i would probably wait for release to see how it runs as it is

Already ordered Noctua NH-U9B SE2 to replace the boxed one :)
It's on 4Ghz now with the stock cooler and temps are in 85c range when stressed so I think I'm going to need a better cooler :D

Last edited:

No mate risky stuff like flashing a bios is no longer required, just use MSI AB and test small increments for stability. I usually go with +10/+15 Mhz increments on core clock and then test with OCCT, if I don't find any artifacts then I repeat with another increment until I see artifacts.

Artifacts means that the core clock is no longer stable and requires a voltage increase for stability, that is where I leave it. No need to play with voltages and you'll get yourself a pretty safe OC and performance boost for your card.

Same steps are applied for vram OC but even by just OCing the core you'll get some good benefit. Actually most of the factory OC is applied only on core and vram is left at default speed.

Seconded. Overclocking to where stability is still maintained is as far as you can go. Overvoltaging a GPU is asking for trouble. The drivers or firmware may impose additional overvoltage in some cases (nVidia did this to stabilize Fermi cards in DirectX 11), and the result is the magic smoke gets out.

So i stopped at 1255MHz core clock and 3750MHz Memory clock. Everything is stable and gained about 5fps on benchmarks. I haven't increased the voltage of the card but i changed the TDP from 100% to 105% since it was hitting 98-99% with the overclock. I will run more stuff tomorrow to see if everything is ok.

So basically i am 205MHz and 500MHz above core and memory stock speeds respectively. Pretty cool

Top Bottom