Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
No. They aren't obligated to ship in every and each store around. You can easily buy on GOG. It's you choosing not to. Selling through other stores comes at a cost.

they're selling the physical version of the game on Amazon.com and i assume the retail take would be about the same if they sold it digitally.. the cost isn't a valid reason.

There are of course valid cases when people can't buy in some stores (credit cards not letting them and etc.). Try Humble Bundle then, I think The Witcher 3 was sold there as well. They sell GOG release though, but your payment goes to them, so the credit card problem can be bypassed. They even accept Bitcoins.

---------- Updated at 03:46 AM ----------

Here it is: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/thewitcher3_wildhunt_storefront

Last edited:
taking the choice away and forcing the customer to purchase directly from one source is just as bad as forcing DRM down the users throat. the question still remains.. why is the digital version of the Witcher 3 not on Amazon.com?

it isnt on greenmangaming as well..

These are all just retail outlets. Isn't this a bit like asking why Store X sells your favourite brand of chocolate and Store Y doesn't? This type of decision is made every day for every type of product, if you want your favourite store to sell something, it's probably best to ask them. Or contact CDPR directly and suggest it. I don't think it's something anyone in the forums would know the answer to.

@mercenar1e The game doesn't even have DRM if you buy it on GOG. So what difference does it make where you got it from? You can store and run it to your heart's content.

The business of selling through distributors and retailers to your customers is complex and cutthroat, and it turns on a lot more factors than cost alone.

It's not about cost; it's about value and goodwill. You want to get the most value for your product, and that means dealing exclusively with those distributors and retailers that do add value (and don't rake off so much of your sales that that value comes at too high a cost). This means dealing with distributors that have an established clientele of retailers, it means dealing with distributors and retailers who you can rely on to promote your product, it means not putting them in competition with yourself, it means dealing with partners who work well with your people and do not try to control them. In the case of digital distribution, it means digital outlets that add substantial value to the product they sell for you and have adequate means of distribution to carry the load of their sales.

I don't know what dealings CDPR has had with Amazon in the past. But they have a mutually beneficial relationship with Steam, a captive distributor in GOG, and they may not have any particular reason to deal with an aggressive discounter who undermines their preferred distributors and demands concessions for which they add no value.

This paragraph just reeks...

Let us deal with such things, thanks :)

With respect to you both, as you have provided perfectly valid responses and I don't wish to question the integrity of how you've written your posts, but I believe you may be incorrect. Please correct me if I am wrong, however.

Somebody is still paying for it. Yes, Steam may decide to absorb the cost, believing that if they come to an agreement to sell a game through Steam, the additional sales will justify the cost (which, as you say, aren't that high on a per-unit basis), or the developers may choose to absorb the cost. And yes, for an indie, the cost-saving of having Steam, or other third-parties, take over most of the downloading and updates may greatly outweigh any costs associated with providing "free" steam keys, so the customer does benefit. But that doesn't apply here. CDPR has GOG.

Yes, on steam click on cdkey and the code will be display
I have done it for many games like ESO which require cdkey to be entered on there main site,But steam version is not valid for gog version.

A lot of people are disappointed because it was made clear by the developers that there were no plans to release on Steam,

Sorry for just getting a piece of your text here @SpiritSharD but Elite Dangerous you say? Please don t get me started about
thosedevelopers. No wonder they break another promise they made, remember they also said ED would have a complete
OFFLINE Storymode without and forced online service.... and they kept saying so until 1 ( ONE ) month before comercial
release.

Outing them as fucking liars.... and (in my eyes) as swindlers who can not be trusted in any way. So you wonder they
"switch" just another statement? They made? I am not. And its TRUE CDPR gave a GoG backup action some time ago.
But thats not a reason to count on digital key now (in the retail versions)

Last edited:
'K, enough about Elite Dangerous, I think? It's starting to get confusing working out which game we're discussing here.

True, but Steam has the higher user base. I'm clueless as to what avenue will generate CDPR the most sales, but I think it goes without saying that Steam will be a very popular choice in terms of gaming services.

CDPR are already selling the game on Steam. So if you want it on Steam, you can go and buy it there. What's the problem? We are talking about those who buy a physical version, and want the digital one as a matter of convenience (and it's reasonable not to pay twice for it). CDPR might provide such option with GOG, which will satisfy the convenience part more than enough. So again, no one is stopping you from buying the digital version on Steam proper. But some extra convenience is a courtesy from CDPR. They aren't obligated to do it, strictly speaking.

Last edited:
That's what I'm asking, with the particular convenience of a Steam copy.

Which you might never get, because it's not free for CDPR. If you want that convenience, you can take the GOG option if they'll ever offer it. Or even better, don't buy the physical one altogether. Why do you need it to begin with? Buy the digital right away (unless you have bandwidth problems and such).

It's the Collectors Edition. :)

And a major chunk of its price doesn't go to CDPR but to retail distributors. If you want to support developers, better buy the pure digital one on GOG.

Going back to the physical edition, they already get only part of the money, while potentially giving you GOG digital release for free in the future. Asking to add a Steam release for free on top of that is not so reasonable (since CDPR will have to pay to Steam for each of those copies, losing even more money). Plus, why should they promote a DRMed service by doing that? It's against their interests.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 at retail will have no DRM. Just install and play. It won't be added to Steam nor GOG. There will be no Steam nor GOG codes. No internet will be needed in-order to play The Witcher 3.

And to the rest asking for Steam / GOG codes. If The Witcher 3, which has no DRM at retail, comes with Steam or GOG codes in the box, meaning that you get two games, I would sell the Steam or GOG code or if I want to use the Steam code I would sell the non DRM retail game and keep the Steam or GOG code. That means I would get the game at close to break even. Not smart to have Steam or GOG codes in the non DRM retail offering. Please stop asking for Steam or GOG codes in the non drm retail offering at retail. Just go buy the game at Steam of GOG.com.

Please stop asking for Steam or GOG codes in the non drm retail offering at retail. Just go buy the game at Steam of GOG.com.

I don't mind not having a GOG code at launch, but a couple months afterwards, or however long it takes for people who take bad care of their DVDs to break their stuff, there should be an option to redeem a backup copy on GOG, much like they did with The Witcher 1 and 2.

If Galaxy is not going to be a big part of The Witcher 3 launch then yes I can see them using backups to try and get people using Galaxy. Getting backups later down the road would be nice. I will also be buying The Witcher 3 on GOG.com as like a thank you and seeing as they get more of the money to make Cyberpunk 2077. We all should be buying a GOG.com digital copy if they not your first choice in buying the game. I don't think backup codes will be necessary because a lot of people will be buying The Witcher 3 from GOG.com. The backup codes for Witcher 1 and 2 was about getting people on GOG.com. Now GOG.com is well known and people are using GOG.com now more than ever. So The Witcher 3 backup codes will most likely not happen. And that's ok.

Top Bottom