Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

+
so, basically, the gamepley is still the same

Well, we haven't actually seen any gameplay, as far as I know. But what they had in HR was fairly solid; if they can polish it up a bit, add a few extra things here and there, just build upon what was already there in general, then I'll be happy.

Forum veteran
more infos (its google translated...)
[*] Equal rights: Now the game will be more opponents of women.
Any chance of getting a better translation of this one? Right now it sounds either like there will be more women enemies or the game will have some kind of social justice bent (patriarchy confirmed as final boss!). The former would be a bit strange since they're not bringing back Malik and the final boss looks like a generic male-grunt.

Anyway, bitterness over leaving The Fall plot threads dangling and annoyance that they're shoehorning Jensen in when his story was effectively finished aside, this looks like it could be pretty good. That bit about how "none of the four endings Human Revolution will not canonical" sounds to me like they might start the game having given Jensen a final choice that wasn't in HR.

The plot of DX3 was kinda bad. But the point of DX3 (as opposed to DX1) is not the plot.

It made largely invalid points that made the writing come off as pretentious at best.I just don't see a humanist front popping out anytime soon.
Heinlein this is not.

BUT playing DX3 is not about the story. The story is at best a placeholder and an excuse to roleplay psycho 21st century robocop.

It's cool visuals and seeing Jensen do augmented kung fu on ... well, just about everyone.

Any chance of getting a better translation of this one?

-Takes place in 2029, 2 years after Human Revolution
-Listed as single-player, no mention of multiplayer
-Jensen is part of a covert, goverment-sponsored task force called Task Force 29, a new bracnh of Interpol, to combat a new breed of terrorism
-Jensen doesn't full trust Task Force 29, also feeds intel to another covert organization called the Juggernaut Collective
-In true Deus Ex fashion, you often receive conflicting missions, neither can be fully trusted
-Boss encounters are designed in a way to allow players to approach any way they want (stealth, full combat, etc)
-Eidos won't comment on which ending it considers canon but is trying to string together different parts of each ending for the overall background of Mankind Divided
-Story is in many ways a story of redemption for Jensen
-The story they're telling is building to events that take place in the original Deus Ex
-With Mankind Divided, they're exploring the original game's past; "Is the depiction of past events from the original Deus Ex true? Will we discover stuff we never knew?"
-Added a lot of diversity to the environments
-Females are also now part of the regular enemies in the game
-One of Jensen's missions takes him to Utulek Station in Prague, now a ghetto for augmented individuals
-It is nicknamed "Golem City", based on the real life Kowloon Walled City
-Shops line the streets, temporary housing units stacked on one another reaching upwards toward the sky; claustrophobic atmosphere
-Mission to track down a leader of an aug group, but police have captured the informant
-Can choose to butter up the informant's wife for clues or cause a scene with the police
-Alternatively Jensen can bypass this area of the game altogether and find the leader's hideout on his own
-Mentions Jensen engaging in tense conversation with the leader, resulting in a diplomatic solution or violence
-Transhumans (augs) referred to as "clanks" by police
-"You can go full combat or full stealth throughout any part of the game"
-Side quests meant to be more meaningful; ex. players can choose to make deals with criminal organizations and its mob boss might call in a favor later interrupting main missions
-Doesn't want fetch quests, the team sees the extra quests as a way to explore the main themes of the game more deeply
-Features twice as many augmentations as Human Revolution
-Aug examples:
  • Tesla: little darts pop out of Jensen's knuckles allowing him to tag enemies and take them out quietly
  • Silent Run: Allows Jensen to move quickly across any floor without making a sound (can combine with cloaking)
  • C.A.S.I.E.: Allows Jensen to analyze the mental state of individuals, helping him to respond adequately in conversations
  • PEPS Gun: Non-lethal weapon that pops out of Jensen's bionic arm and fires a concussive blast allowing him to knock an enemy out, kill him or flee
-Augmentation features can be assigned on the d-pad for quick selection
-Augmentations consume a fixed amount of energy, when Jensen stops using them he regains a portion of it
-Can still refill his augs completely with bio cells, Eidos wants the recharge mechanic to encourage using augs more liberally
-New remote hack augmentation allows Jensen to activate shortcuts through areas to pass enemies
-No plan for Human Revolution saves to carry over, but Eidos is planning for a franchise now, want to expand further after HR's success
-No plans for a Deus Ex MMO
-Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more so spent several years iterating on gunplay
-Mankind Divided's moment-to-moment action plays out like a series of set-piece moments, a 'remarkable feat' considering nothing is scripted
-Jensen can adjust his weapons at any point mid-battle, changing ammo type, firing pattern, scopes, etc
-Some enemies have external tech like exoskeletons and mechs to combat Jensen
-Variety of enemies have a diversity of weapons, augments, or other high-tech combat tools, some have high-jump abilities, etc
-Focused on making A.I. more aggressive, flanking, etc
-Certain elements of the environment now react to combat

Forum veteran
Thanks for that. Sounds pretty incredible, actually, though I hope they don't change too much about the first game in trying to tie the two together. The search light at the end of the trailer kind of gives him wings, though I don't know if it's intentional or just something that stood out after your earlier wing post.

I think it feels strange to call DXHR as "DX3"... granted, it is the 3rd game in the series... but they take place befor the two original games. Anyway...

I am looking forward to this game... hopefully it means I will finally finish DXHR. I never stopped playing HR due to it being bad or anything, I really liked it, other games just happend to come in the way... like always really. Still not finished DAO, even though I really really like it. XD

Also... I wonder if Jonathan Jacques-Belletête is the main Art Director/Artist for DXMD as well... seeing as he was that for DXHR. You could clearly see that he had a hand in DXHR after all... seeing as he... well... basicly is seems like he/they compleatly/partially based the look of Adam on him/himself! XD If it was deliberate or not I don't know, but there you go. XD

An interview with Jonathan Jacques-Belletête about DXHR.

Also... I think that DXHR had some of the best CGI there was/is. Because where as Eidos Montreal did the game it's self and all that... Square Enix where the ones who created all the CGI Trailers and clips etc for the game. And to me, being a fan of a lot of Square Enix games, especially Final Fantasy... they are a company that are REALLY good at creating CGI and that kind of cinematics (especially since FFX and forward). So I hope that it's Square Enix are the ones doing the CGI for DXMD as well... I mean it would only make sence that they would.

Granted that is not the only thing that the game needs... other things matters more. But great looking CGI never hurts in my opinion. :D

Last edited:
Thank you Braindancer. The first vid you posted I had seen, and many like it. But I couldn't find the actual vid itself.

Oh my God, it's full of stars!

8]

Graphics looks good, but if it's still about being the robotic-uber-mench fighting the illuminatis (...) in a bi-coloured gray and yellow/green world, you can count me out, I'll wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:
Would be neat if they've upgraded their narrative branching from the "choose a button in the end" from the previous game with a choice for... well, allegiance is a bit one dimensional... a reactive narrative route. They have a rich setting to use and some obvious talent for decent narratives. Pushing a bit further with that would indeed be called for, lest the game end up as another hunt the obvious baddies fare (which isn't inherently bad; but it's been seen already).

I don't buy that that is the big baddie. No fucking way. If they've revealed (or leaked him) so soon, he's more of a Barrett/Gunther Hermann. By the way, I hope there will be killswitches.

There was no big baddie in DXHR, per se. A series of flunkies. Barret was actually one of the harder fights, I thought.

In any case, I'm sure he's not the primary antagonist. It'll be the Illuminati and Bob Page again, betcha. Oooh! And the start of Unatco, maybe? Gunther Hermann and his skulgun!

Would be neat if they've upgraded their narrative branching from the "choose a button in the end" from the previous game with a choice for... well, allegiance is a bit one dimensional... a reactive narrative route. They have a rich setting to use and some obvious talent for decent narratives. Pushing a bit further with that would indeed be called for, lest the game end up as another hunt the obvious baddies fare (which isn't inherently bad; but it's been seen already).

It's still going to be a problem for them on any prequel if they want to recognise the original Deus Ex as canon and not introduce a branching future. There are too many players who consider that choice&consequence also has to mean huge differences in the state of the world at the end of the game.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think they should handle it the same way as DX:HR - I know a lot of players don't think it worked there, and it definitely wouldn't work twice. Personally, I'd like them just to make the end-states important to Adam, and the player, but not world-changing. The future of people he and we care about, life or death of individuals, stuff like that.

DX series just seems like a game genre that doesn't benefit from C&C because it's so narrative-driven.

Ken Levine wanted only one choice for DX1, but was pressured to make several endings.

My guess is that if I had the choice between UNATCO and the NSF, I would have gone with UNATCO the first time around but I doubt the story would have been as good. It would feel gimmicky in DX4, the same way that it felt gimmicky in DX2.

Last edited:
No, can't accept that. I don't think that a story-driven game MUST have story-based C&C, there's plenty of good games around that don't, and I'm comfortable with the new DX not having it.

But The Witcher series is a good example of story-driven games that benefit hugely from C&C.

I just hope we get the Garvin Quinn character back again, whoever he is. Those dialogues in The Missing Link were the best in the game.

DX series just seems like a game genre that doesn't benefit from C&C because it's so narrative-driven.

Ken Levine wanted only one choice for DX1, but was pressured to make several endings.

My guess is that if I had the choice between UNATCO and the NSF, I would have gone with UNATCO the first time around but I doubt the story would have been as good. It would feel gimmicky in DX4, the same way that it felt gimmicky in DX2.

Poet, where's this from? Warren Spector did DX 1 and he -loves- C+C. He's said, iirc, "if you take away choice from the player, you've just lost me". I think you're thinking of BIoshock or System Shock, maybe?

In any case, I -hope- they do something more clever than overwrting the DX story. I hope they subvert it with Adam's story. Player choice shapes the world and doesn't conflict with canon.

Example: JC's choice at the end of DX1 is to join the computer and change the world. Very cool. How does Jensen's story -also- shape the world?

Several options:

1) Jensen is responsible for the AI's capability to absorb a human and change therein. He, perhaps along with Eliza, a proto-AI either create, alter or suborn Icarus/Daedulus so that this is its goal when it merges into Helios.

2) Jensen wages war on the Illuminati and is successful, vastly damaging them. Majestic 12 climbs to power but Jensen's war forces them to hide behind Unatco, rather than execute a more overt global domination scheme. Jensen's remarkable and savage successes convince Bob Page to steal and repurpose Gray Death as a weapon against Jensen. I kind of like that the Gray Death plague was, secretly, really targetted at just one guy. Seems like waht MJ12 would do.

3)JC Denton and Unatco, although important, are just one iron the Illuminati and MJ12 have in the fire. Just as significant are plans to mutate Gray Death into a memetic mind-altering virus that can be spread by sight;

plans to infect the world with nanotechnology that has a One Ring switch;

plans to activate the clones they have planted all over the world, now in positions of power, and in a very quiet super-coup, take every major country over; (this one is cool because if you get the cloning going full-on, you can have Jensen change minds of/murder Deus Ex characters like Page and Simons, only for the clones, who think they are the originals, be the ones you see in DX1. And they have no idea. Also creates an Illuminati/MJ12 with another level of "shadow council" who manage to remain invisible even from Page and Simons. Perhaps these become Jensen's new target in sequels, allowing him to wage war/show the truth in the same timeline as JC Denton)

plans to nuke/enviro-attack/bio-weapon assault China or the US or another major power, bunker up in the ensuing armageddon and run the world of the survivors.

plans to force-evolve the human-race of Gray Death survivors using the latent gene modifiers contained in the GD;

4)Perhaps Jensen is instrumental in the creation/limitation of the Universal Constructors so prevalent in the DX1 storyline. Either keeping them few in number or engineering a flaw into them somehow.

Some other cool ways of showing Jensen is around - he might have cover identites as "Jock" or "Ford Schick", important-ish DX1 characters.

And of course I look forward to meeting Anna Navarre, Gunther Hermann, ( who should be horribly jealous of Jensen's awesome tech!) and JC Manderley when they are up and coming ops..

So setting up a world where Jensen's choices matter -and- JC Denton's choices matter should be totally doable.

---------- Updated at 08:34 PM ----------

More: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/09/meet-the-power-players-of-deus-ex-mankind-divided.aspx

A sample:

Adam Jensen is more driven than ever. Two years after the catastrophic events that marked the end of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he’s determined to expose the group and people behind the so-called Aug Incident. While the Illuminati may have pulled those strings and are the focus of Jensen’s investigation in the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, they’re not the only organization that he becomes involved with. Today, we’re taking a look at some of the other factions Jensen – and players – will meet.

Task Force 29
In Human Revolution, Jensen worked as head of security for the augmentation manufacturer Sarif Industries. Following the Aug Incident, where augmented people essentially went haywire and unwittingly performed acts of violence and terrorism, Sarif’s business collapsed. Now, Jensen is a member of an anti-terrorist group headed up by Interpol, called Task Force 29.

“The division that he’s in, he is probably the only augmented person in that strike team,” says Mary DeMarle, Mankind Divided’s narrative director. Jensen will travel around the world as he unravels the conspiracy, including an area near Prague that’s now become a prison camp for augmented people. DeMarle says that Jensen’s augmentations give him an in with the people living there that others might not have. And while Task Force 29’s stated goal is to eliminate terrorism, DeMarle is quick to point out that in this world, one person’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter.

Hm. Shit. You're right, it was actually Spector and not Levine who did DX1. Mea culpa.

It's preferable a writer focus on one really strong storyline then C&C, but that's not really the main issue with DX3's story.Before thinking about this, they should take care of something far more basic.

The main issue is that the story in DX3 sucked. They never made a believable case as to how something requiring nupoz would ever reach the market.
Not only did it sucked, but they hired the same person to write DX4.

Mary DeMarle is incapable of being subtle (#Chan? A prostitute that is being forced by her pimp to get augmented?). None of her characters are believable. She doesn't understand that storytelling via symbolism and loredump is bound to suck.

You know what Square should do? Fire Demarle and hire Harlan Ellison. He would make equally non-sensical points but at least he would make them entertaining.

Nonetheless, it will still be awesome game and an excellent excuse for performing augmented kung fu on vagrants even if the story becomes a forced, unconvincing and contrived argument against augmentations.

I liked the story quite a bit.

Lots of things that require a secondary market to function make it to market. Cars. Contact lenses. A friend of mine with a prosthetic leg doesn't need Neuroprazene, (sp), but he does need a variety of other things to keep both the leg and stump healthy. If they were taken from him, he'd be screwwwwed.

Neuropozyne always seemed like an interim solution - akin to, say, tape drives or even hard drives, on the way to SSD or better, a more stable, faster solution. Like insulin injections while they hunt a cure.

Even now, people take unpleasant and painful insulin injections because they have no choice. Early augmentation users had a similar set up. "Yes, we can give you back FULL EYESIGHT. Downside - it's expensive and you'll need this drug."

I had another friend, blind by 30. She would have done it in a second. A fast second. I would have happily helped pay. So, yeah, Neuropoz made sense to me.

As for the prostitute being forced to become augmented, increasing her...service range...and also addicting her to a drug, ( very common in prostitution) but also a drug she can never cold turkey if she wants to live, unless she can get the augs out, which takes another set of resources she doesn't have access to...yeah, I liked that. I thought it was devilishy evil.

I liked David Serif a lot. I liked Malik a lot. Both were quite believable. The once-strong but now-weak ex-SWAT buddy of Jensen's was an excellent example of alternate-Jensen. The version that came out okay in the Mexicantown Massacre, got to stay in the cops, but shrank to nothing anyway.

Provided a lovely metaphor for the..I want to say foolishness, but really, short-sightedness of Jensen's bitterness. Sure, she got bounced, but it worked out in the end.

Top Bottom