Character Appearances

+

Guest 3702081

I guess the "pretty boy" notion hails rather from his current features than the lack of a beard, but each to his own. Personally I'd have been more than happy if Geralt looked the way he does on the first W2 cover, with a tad more wrinkles and whiter hair. They pretty much nailed him in that render. But then again, that's just my opinion and wishful thinking.

A clean shaven Geralt looks younger, although he might look younger here on purpose since this section probably is a flashback. Beards especially white ones make people look older. He's also been through a lot, so maybe CDPR made him look older on purpose.

Yeah he looks so much like Jaime Lannister like this XD I like him this way :)

But I also prefer when he looks older. As Triss said in the books Geralt looks old. He has eyes that seem to say "I have seen everything". I always visualized Geralt as someone still young but physically tired by the things he have seen and done. In my oppinion Geralt in The Witcher 3 is absolutly perfect. Don't change a thing CDPR. You got it right for as far I am concerned.

FULL SIZE IMAGE HERE - WARNING is very large
I have an unhealthy obsession with the organising of image files and collecting them on mass and this is what happens when I should be studying for a test, please don't judge me. I love CDPR interpretations of the characters and really don't have any critique for them so just consider this a celebration/observation of what happens in production - promo vs gameplay and perhaps the changes over time.

Geralt gets more images due to being the main dude but also because of the variety of beard growth. I think they've captured his predatory look very well, although he's not as ugly/scary as he was from tw2. I'm okay with this, personally, though I really appreciate the whole 'being an ugly fucker' that really made him in tw2. Though in real life, I'd probably keep away from a man who looked like that. They would be very strange. I'd probably keep away from bearded Geralt, too, so I suppose there's something I can mess with with the real time bread growth fun. The hair seems to be more white now, ignoring his eyebrows, which sells the albinism thing to me much better. I also noticed in the Sword of Destiny Trailer the comparison between Triss and Geralt's skin, which is a touch I'm a fan of because I have no idea I just love the attention to this shit good god CDPR you're killing me with your awesomeness.
Also worthy of note is googling albino folk and realise they're quite pink because ~blood vessels~ so there's that for those who may think Geralt isn't pale enough. I mean not to argue, but to offer explanation. Also Triss and Geralt's eyes are open and that's weird.

Vesemir looks sad perhaps because his nose is red and his eyes are puffy like an old man's. I have no idea why his nose is red. No complaints, he's probably only around for the beginning anyway. Or it's story related. Maybe he's on potions. *shrug*

I had my doubts about Dandelion -- he's suppose to be some kind of adolescent heartthrob! -- from the SoD trailer, but my feelings are rectified by the more recent promo render in which we can see Dandelion's delightful face front on in decent lighting. Now I look back at that screen from SoD and wonder why I had a problem. The design on his garb is impeccable. I can definitely see this man causing Geralt agony and witty amusement.

I consider the shot I got of Yennefer's face in the Elder Blood trailer the sort of thing when you take a terrible portrait photo -- front on with terrible lighting, which is why I included a few extra shots of the light catching her face and her head changing angle. She still looks very different from the promo shot, which is a pity I suppose but what can you do? It's a promo shot. :) I trust that she's going to be the predatory sorceress we know and love/hate so yeah I'm hanging out for faith in CDPR deliverance. I quite like the promo shot, personally, that face is perfect.

I highly doubt the Emperor has changed much, so I don't have much to say other than he's juuuuuust right.

I don't know what to make of Triss' cosplay guide vs her gameplay shots which I assume are from the same time period: (THESE IMAGES ARE LARGE TOO for some reason.)
What I assume to be a promo render...??
What appears to be a gameplay render -- from the same time period since they're both in the cosplay guide.

So I just sort of ignored that and left her with what we'd seen in trailers. Her face is the face I recognise from the previous game in both the promo render and the gameplay one, so I'm all cool with that. Her outfit suits life in a city more than life on the battlefield beside Foltest or travelling with a monster slayer on an immediate quest. I think this suits a change in her regular activities, being a fancy sorceress and whatnot.

Not on here, but I fucking love Dijsktra. 10/10, don't cross him.

I'm fairly positive that everyone is pretty much perfect, in the overall design sense and ignoring arbitrary things like faces. Ciri's outfit doesn't make 100% practical sense to me but I do think if that's my only complaint then really I have nothing at all on the whole enterprise.

I also have the promo vs gameplay shots for the Wild Hunt generals but I think that doesn't really mean much since that would be a judgement of graphics and not tastefully selected facial designs/redesigns. Well, Eredin changed, but that's a little more of a personal thing imo, I have nothing to say about it personally.

TL;dr -- made a pretty. no real opinion, dang these virtual people are hot, stoked/10

Yeah he looks so much like Jaime Lannister like this XD I like him this way :)

But I also prefer when he looks older. As Triss said in the books Geralt looks old. He has eyes that seem to say "I have seen everything". I always visualized Geralt as someone still young but physically tired by the things he have seen and done. In my oppinion Geralt in The Witcher 3 is absolutly perfect. Don't change a thing CDPR. You got it right for as far I am concerned.

Not just younger, but also in an idealised "dream sequence".

---------- Updated at 03:44 PM ----------

Also worthy of note is googling albino folk and realise they're quite pink because ~blood vessels~ so there's that for those who may think Geralt isn't pale enough. I mean not to argue, but to offer explanation.
Also Vitiligo, and colour variations with temperature/exertion are much higher than in skin with melanin content because nothing masks the colour shifts. So very deep blue/purple when cold, and bright flushing when hot/embarrassed.

I had my doubts about Dandelion -- he's suppose to be some kind of adolescent heartthrob! -- from the SoD trailer, but my feelings are rectified by the more recent promo render in which we can see Dandelion's delightful face front on in decent lighting. Now I look back at that screen from SoD and wonder why I had a problem. The design on his garb is impeccable. I can definitely see this man causing Geralt agony and witty amusement.

He is actually around 40 by now. So while he behaves like a foolish teenager he isn't one.

Shani will be appearing in the dlc "heart of the stone" because oxenfurt is mentioned where shani studied

Oxenfurt will be in the vanilla game and they said she won't be in the vanilla. So there's no guarantee she'll be present in the expansions, unfortunately. But if you wish to see her, I hope you will be able to :)

He is actually around 40 by now. So while he behaves like a foolish teenager he isn't one.

This is true, but I doubt they would be changing Dandelion's character much from the previous game. If that's anything to go by, personality-wise he'd be still exactly as Dijkstra described him in Blood of Elves -- mentally very childish, only being mature when it suits him. I imagine physically he's also like Keanu Reeves -- somewhat agelss, even past 40 -- so I think my own personal expectations of him still being something young women would chase are justified.

I wasn't saying women wouldn't chase him... just that he isn't a boy, even if he acts like one.

Has there been any info about the VA for Dandelion? (English). The guy in TW2 is a good actor, but I always thought he sounded much too young (even though he isn't)

Oxenfurt will be in the vanilla game and they said she won't be in the vanilla. So there's no guarantee she'll be present in the expansions, unfortunately. But if you wish to see her, I hope you will be able to :)

Oh, i'm pretty sure she'll return in Hearts of Stone :)

"The upcoming expansions will offer gamers new adventures, gear and foes and will feature characters both new and dearly missed"

Has there been any info about the VA for Dandelion? (English). The guy in TW2 is a good actor, but I always thought he sounded much too young (even though he isn't)

I think they reported (Buried under the mass of articles) that they got pretty much all the previous VA's back.

This is true, but I doubt they would be changing Dandelion's character much from the previous game. If that's anything to go by, personality-wise he'd be still exactly as Dijkstra described him in Blood of Elves -- mentally very childish, only being mature when it suits him. I imagine physically he's also like Keanu Reeves -- somewhat agelss, even past 40 -- so I think my own personal expectations of him still being something young women would chase are justified.

I don t think Shani is a student anymore. If we re going to see her it could be elsewhere. Maybe in no man's land with injured people :)

Last edited:
I don t think Shani is a student anymore. If we re going to see her it could be elsewhere. Maybe in no man's land with injured people

That's true. She was present at the Battle of Brenna and lived in Vizima in the first game. Maybe she was displaced when Nilfgaard invaded and she's moved back to Oxenfurt to be a professor? But yeah, it's all speculation -- there's nothing that could mean it's Shani or Kalkstein or whoever is back, all we've got is that the expansion is in Oxenfurt. Maybe it's some other character. I don't really want to speculate too much because there isn't really much point at this stage.

So I just sort of ignored that and left her with what we'd seen in trailers. Her face is the face I recognise from the previous game in both the promo render and the gameplay one, so I'm all cool with that. Her outfit suits life in a city more than life on the battlefield beside Foltest or travelling with a monster slayer on an immediate quest. I think this suits a change in her regular activities, being a fancy sorceress and whatnot.

I see a pretty big difference between render Triss and gameplay Triss. The one we see in the SoD trailer/hidden picture in the cosplay/the steelbook looks a lot like the Witcher 2 version to me. The render Triss looks off. Her nose is smaller, her lower lip is smaller, and her lower jaw is way broader to the point it looks kind of manly. To compare:

Attachments

• trisscompare.jpg
    trisscompare.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I see a pretty big difference between render Triss and gameplay Triss. The one we see in the SoD trailer/hidden picture in the cosplay/the steelbook looks a lot like the Witcher 2 version to me. The render Triss looks off. Her nose is smaller, her lower lip is smaller, and her lower jaw is way broader to the point it looks kind of manly. To compare:

I think the promo Triss -- you're right, she does look off, her nose is definitely too small and seems to be too low on her face and generally her face is quite different from tw2 Triss. But between the two differing models we see in the cosplay guide -- as you call them render Triss and gameplay Triss -- I actually think they are both more or less representations of the same person -- more than the promo shot. How to describe it? If render Triss was a real person, then gameplay Triss is someone's interpretation, if that makes sense. I see what you mean about the differences you mention, but I think they are more like 'softer' rather than smaller, and they're sculpted in such a way that is more realistic than the gameplay version.

See, I'm uncertain about those two models -- what we call gameplay and render -- because they could actually both be gameplay. I think it's very possible what we call render Triss is actually a newer version that we just haven't seen in any footage yet. I think render Triss is fine -- she seems more unique facially in comparison to Ciri, but still draws some recognisability from tw2 Triss even thought she's quite different. I'm pretty easy to please tbh, though.

Top Bottom