Trials of Grasses- trials for CDPR ?

+
How can you possibly even compare these two pictures? One is uncompressed super quality whre you could see hair in Geralt's nose, the other one is capped from a shitty video, compressed and all blury. You people make me really laugh. Almost like the guy with the black people complaint.

@TheEvilChris
Can you tell us please a little bit more about what ultra settings bring to foliage ? What changes can we expect comparing to high settings ? Will there be huge differences ?
Please, give was a little feedback on that. I know what are the differences technically. I know that there is Hairworks, HBAO+ etc, but I'm just asking about pure visuals. What changes do you see, when you look at the the Witcher on ultra?

Last edited:
I was actually impressed about how they made the 2d planes look so okayish in the last PC gameplay. The popping in console versions might get annoying though.

They did say that they revamped vegetation. In 2013 reveal trailer grass didnt react to NPCs or Geralt moving through it, it was static. Now it reacts to people, creatures, wind and more, but doesnt look as dense as before. Vegetation displayed in pics you posted might no longer exist.

I remember that the grass in second picture (with wolves) was moving in the footage, it could be scripted movement I don't know but it had some movement and not completely static, it's a pity if they had to compromise grass quality to that extent in order to make it more collision friendly. Many games including Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor sports a semi interactive grass such that it will make some scripted movement once the character pass through it. Still it looks great so far and probably much better on ultra. Hopefully modding can do wonders as well.

you've got a good eye. sir !!! :hatsoff:

2013 Debut Trailer : static

2014 35min-demo : dynamic collision

2015 January build : fucking massive realtime collision

you've got a good eye. sir !!! :hatsoff:

2013 Debut Trailer : static

If this is sarcasm my friend then let me tell you that I didn't mentioned the above picture anywhere, I meant the screen below

and for reference please watch this trailer between 1:13 - 1:16 you'll find grass blades moving, it wasn't collision but maybe wind or maybe scripted but they were moving for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBFnOM5v5QQ

Can you tell us please a little bit more about what ultra settings bring to foliage ? What changes can we expect comparing to high settings ? Will there be huge differences ?
Please, give was a little feedback on that. I know what are the differences technically. I know that there is Hairworks, HBAO+ etc, but I'm just asking about pure visuals. What changes do you see, when you look at the the Witcher on ultra?

He's stalking us but won't give reply to that until the game released :D

Last edited:
if only the game would have foliage as in those old screens...

a downgrade cant be confirmed but I'm pretty disappointed an aspect of the game looks much worse than when it was first revealed, I did not expect that.

maybe now it moves, reacts to geralt, to the wind, whatever, it looks like crap compared to the old one. It'd sstill be a sacrifice I consider worth, better to have bad looking grass than static fake grass that doesnt even move, but still its always a bit hard to come back from the good to the bad.

^ Yes the earlier screenshots had a sharpness filter applied which made everything look just "WoW", LumaSharpen in SweetFX can do this too and disable the AA and you'll get yourself eyes bleeding :D

To be honest the sharpness filter only looks good in still screenshots, in reality it will kill your eyes so I don't care about it much however there are three things that I see changed in grass compared to older screenshots.

1) The density and how close they are to each other (could be difference of area so not sure).
2) The colors were saturated before and look slightly washed out now (again HDR in SweetFX can fix this).
3) The grass lost some length and variety.

I must say that having fully interactive grass is still a big deal and something we haven't seen before in any game, I can't wait to cast Aard in heavy grassy area and see the splendor of wind so yes it's still impressive, hopefully the modding kit will allow modders to bring couple of things that we would like to see and really hope the modding for this will be as healthy as Skyrim or even better.

......what the hell are 3D textures

Three-dimensional (3D) textures are images made to replicate real-world textures, such as the veins on a leaf or fur on an animal. Many 3D textures look like two-dimensional (2D) textures when viewed head-on, but there is a major difference between those two.

3D texture works like regular texture. But it is truly 3D. 2D textures has UV coords, 3D has UVW. Texture coords are unit cube (0 - 1, 0 - 1, 0 - 1).

Possible usage:
- volumetric effects in games (fire, smoke, light rays, realistic fog)
- caching light for realtime global illumination (CryEngine for example)
- scientific (MRI, CT scans are saved into volumes)

Three-dimensional (3D) textures are images made to replicate real-world textures, such as the veins on a leaf or fur on an animal. Many 3D textures look like two-dimensional (2D) textures when viewed head-on, but there is a major difference between those two.

3D texture works like regular texture. But it is truly 3D. 2D textures has UV coords, 3D has UVW. Texture coords are unit cube (0 - 1, 0 - 1, 0 - 1).

Possible usage:
- volumetric effects in games (fire, smoke, light rays, realistic fog)
- caching light for realtime global illumination (CryEngine for example)
- scientific (MRI, CT scans are saved into volumes)

You mean like normal map shader?
Texture cannot be 3d, its a plain image, you meant shader probably, but most of those that add depth are light dependant. CDPR changed the lighting so same model may look different.

@tahirahmed I completely agree with you on that. But if the Gamestar preview is to be believed, Ultra specs have some denser foliage settings. So let's hope for that I guess :) Also, I think the colorization of the foliage was much better in the latest trailer, compared to PAX. And I'm still thinking that rendering it real-time on your monitor will increase the perceived quality (because even if the video is less compressed, it's still a video right now :) ).

volumetric effects in games (fire, smoke, light rays, realistic fog)
I get what you're generally referring to, volumetric effects that are essentially 'rendered in a box' so to speak - don't clip through other objects or the ground or appear flat when looked at from the side, but what are you referring to in the case of those screenshots?

"3D Grass"? Even the best looking "3D foliage" I've seen actually used in games is just multiple 2Ds inserted at angles, only looks 3D from a distance, get close and it's quite evident.

Speaking of grass, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Witcher 2 has taught us it's expensive as hell to render sizeable density grass in REDEngine while also letting other effects and scripts run. We could potentially 'regain' SOME of it back via a bit of tweaking/mod(like TW2) but I don't think it'll be very playable if it were to theoretically get it all back, do you think they toned it down just for laughs?

"Hmm, this grass density looks too damn fun, let's reduce a bit of it."

And as for people talking about the TW3 Debut trailer having 'grass moving/reacting to wind', you might want to replay Witcher 2 because it's the same kind of movement as that.

Last edited:
They're textures that are 1D better than 2D textures.

why is this a concern you devs cant answer? i mean its simple, i can even try to answer for you if you want. "yes, we have changed the grass for better performance" or "no, the grass is still the same, what you see is the sharpening filter". very simple and everyone is happy. i know that there's NDA and everything, but i mean this is just the grass in the game. it's not something that players will make a big deal about

Last edited:
Top Bottom