Armor in the W3

+
Well most of those armor sets in the video look great and there seems to be loads of options for people to choose. For me personally most, if not all, armor sets shown in the video look absolutely fitting apart from that red one with the neck and shoulder plates.

Guest 3702081

I don't think it was an oversight. He constantly emphasized in the books how fiendishly quick they were after their mutations (even Ciri became fast just thanks to their training). So it's a case of the additional protection offered by armor not being worth the loss of "defense" by slowing them down. Defense as in not being hit at all. Part of what makes them useful to begin with against monsters is their speed. It's why they're better at it than a knight in full armor. That plate won't help him against a monster's claw. A witcher just avoids that claw.
Pretty much this. When discussing the armor Geralt "should" wear, we should be aware of what witchers are supposed to do. They kill monsters. Is a monster that is bigger and stronger than some random drowner impressed by mail or armor with plates? No, it just hits and that is enough in most cases.

Of course witchers can't avoid fighting humans as well from time to time, but why should dodging attacks from a knight or a simple bandit be more dangerous to Geralt or a witcher nin general than a blow from a devilishly quick beast with inch-long talons?

Anyways, obviously there is a large variety of armors so in the end everybody will be pleased, and the REDs did a very good job. But, just like some others, so far I miss the jackets from W1 and W2.

Pretty much this. When discussing the armor Geralt "should" wear, we should be aware of what witchers are supposed to do. They kill monsters. Is a monster that is bigger and stronger than some random drowner impressed by mail or armor with plates? No, it just hits and that is enough in most cases.

Of course witchers can't avoid fighting humans as well from time to time, but why should dodging attacks from a knight or a simple bandit be more dangerous to Geralt or a witcher nin general than a blow from a devilishly quick beast with inch-long talons?

Anyways, obviously there is a large variety of armors so in the end everybody will be pleased, and the REDs did a very good job. But, just like some others, so far I miss the jackets from W1 and W2.
Mind you, I have no problem with there being heavy armors because it's something I believe is important for a TW RPG.

And yeah, a few jackets could be cool. I really liked Geralt's opening outfit for TW2. One of my favorite in the game.

I'm studying both History and History of Art here in France and you may not be surprized by the fact that History is more about economics and politics matters (since I'm not yet specialized in a particular era). History of art, however, is a surprisingly good source of knowledge about war matters. I've found during my researchs lots of interesting books and other stuff about history of war ("Le livre des armes et armures" from Christian-H Tavard for the ones who can understand french, is a must-have) and I'm more or less comfortable with the subject regarding the medieval West.

There's a lot of misbeliefs on this particular era (and I probably still have many), but I can assure you that these armours are not as annoying/uncomfortable as it seems, and leather amor can impact a lot more mobility than mail armor, simply because rigidity is more annoying than weight in the short run. Furthermore, Geralt is nevery fully covered with mail or even plates, it's just minor (but yet very effective) defenses against most common medieval weapons, allowing Geralt to do a few mistakes against human opponents (not monsters that's for sure) without carrying pounds of armor.
Based on what I know, the most useful thing Gerald could wear with little but no discomfort is a "cervelière", don't know if there is an English word for that but an open helmet covering only the upper part of the head. (or maybe a small breastplate like the Roman Camillan Hastati) It's terribly unsexy for our Great Knight of Lyria-Rivia but hey, caution first !

In short, I think that these armors are all but out of context for Geralt use, and I admire CDPR work as always.

Two things rapidly found on the web can show what I'm thinking ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5hlIUrd7d1Q#t=6

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/aams/hd_aams.htm#only_b

the first shows that even with one of the most efficient (and uncomfortable) armor we could imagine, we can still have a quite good freedom of movement, so I let you imagine what a Witcher can do wearing lighter armors.
The second one is just a summary of some misbeliefs, in English of course. You probably know all this or don't care at all, the .4 is the one that I want to point out, it illustrates well what I think about these armors being pointless for our Witcher, always taking the extreme argument of wearing full plate armor.

I hope I haven't made too many mistakes in this post, usually I am discouraged before writing everything I wanted to say. Reading is much easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, Sigma_Primaris! (For some reason I can't use 'mention' on his name.) Very useful information for clarifying common misconceptions about armour. It's always gratifying to see another person who pursues the study of mediaeval history.

Last edited:
I don't recall reading anything about you being punished that way by harsh weather. I do recall them saying that their are 3 armor types and each wold favor a different play style.

Yes, I saw the interview where they said some areas with cold/blizzard conditions does damage to Geralt, and you'll need to find shelter. I think it was with José Teixeira.

It's the only interview I remember hearing it, though, and was a year or so ago.

This isn't what I read a year ago, as the specific topic was actually about the weather system and about using the armors, but this is as close as I can get.

The most interesting thing, though, is that there are actual survival situations in which Geralt will be able to reach safe areas to stay warm when it’s freezing, and cold weather will have impact on gameplay, causing damage and slowing movement down.

SOURCE August 2014

If I ever find the actual source that I was talking about I'll update. I'm actually kind of excited for this kind of detail if it's still in. I agree that the more feline, body hugging sets are more suitable for Geralt, but I would wear the heavier armours in a heartbeat if I knew I had a legitimate excuse for it.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see whether we can have multiple sets of a certain witcher armor set. Say I upgrade the wolf armor set but I end up liking the base level the best, is there a way to either revert back to the original or at least obtain another set? The latest trailer seems to suggest multiple sets of the same armor, but that may be for the purpose of demonstrating the different levels of progression and won't be present in the real game.

This armour brings back memories, as someone posted before me:

It reminds me of Witcher 1, but armour value is 1 so maybe not suited to any dangerous activities. :happy:

Though my personal favourite is this one:

Feline armour, whatever that means. Are we to make armour out of cats? Wonder what @wichat.571 thinks of this.
Seriously though, I bet this is not the case cause I wouldn't hurt a single dog in Witcher 1, and of course this goes for cats as well. Possible it is hide from some mountain lion, or maybe it's just a name. Maybe it gives Geralt feline reaction speed because look at that attack bonus for wearing it.

Sure some of the armour look bulky but you've got to look at the stats as well. Bulky armour equals higher armour value but no attack or maneuverability bonus.

Personally I don't think much of gambesons, if I'm to post something negative, but maybe I'll come around. I think all look great though and I'm thankful for the devs to include so many different ones.

Talk about devs implementing player choice:)victory:)! ^_^

Last edited:
Must reach level 20 for get it? Well, Dear @Bellator Pius Gratus, I cannot imagine nothing pius Gratus than having Geralt under my skin ;)

My personal taste will be the same as the previous both games, black leather, the most simple at sight black leather with the lesser metal as I can get. So, I'll have to wait for seeing what TW3 will really bring us in the lastest armor fashion.

PS This Feline armor looks pretty nice.

Last edited:
I'd just like to point out that when it comes to armor people highly over-estimate plate armor in terms of it's burden/weight.

Chainmail actually could be more draining to wear because a lot of it's weight rest squarely on your shoulders. Whereas with plate armor the weight was more evenly distributed over your entire body and not focused on one area.

Good built suits of plate also offered plenty of mobility and freedom of movement iwth your limbs.

I think as far as the game goes though, it's good to juste have variety. If people don't want to see Geralt in anything that even remotely resembles "plate" or other types of armor and want to stick to leather or cloth, they should be able to, just like others might prefer the armor with plate elements and things on it.

I don't think the armor is really meant to be super realistic, for example swords against plate armor? That's about one of the HARDEST ways to fight against someone in plate. When fighting with swords vs plate armor your best bet was half swording (using both hands, with one held on the blade, using it more like a spear then a normal sword). Where you'd focus a lot on trips/throws and then you had to get the tip of the sword into a weak spot (IE arm pit, groin, visor slit) .
Swords are not going to do much dmg striking plate so you had to do this. That's why things like Maces, axes, picks, etc were far more useful against plate armor. You could get through it/crush it.

Then the fact that plate was near invulnerable to arrows (no, longbows didn't magically go through it like popular myth). To pierce plate (and remember, they wore padding underneath plate) you had to be extremely close, to the point that if a knight is that close to you and you're an archer, you probably wanted to be running tihe other way or prepare to fight melee (where the guy in plate would have a much greater advantage).

I'd just like to point out that when it comes to armor people highly over-estimate plate armor in terms of it's burden/weight.

Chainmail actually could be more draining to wear because a lot of it's weight rest squarely on your shoulders. Whereas with plate armor the weight was more evenly distributed over your entire body and not focused on one area.

Good built suits of plate also offered plenty of mobility and freedom of movement iwth your limbs.

I think as far as the game goes though, it's good to juste have variety. If people don't want to see Geralt in anything that even remotely resembles "plate" or other types of armor and want to stick to leather or cloth, they should be able to, just like others might prefer the armor with plate elements and things on it.

I don't think the armor is really meant to be super realistic, for example swords against plate armor? That's about one of the HARDEST ways to fight against someone in plate. When fighting with swords vs plate armor your best bet was half swording (using both hands, with one held on the blade, using it more like a spear then a normal sword). Where you'd focus a lot on trips/throws and then you had to get the tip of the sword into a weak spot (IE arm pit, groin, visor slit) .
Swords are not going to do much dmg striking plate so you had to do this. That's why things like Maces, axes, picks, etc were far more useful against plate armor. You could get through it/crush it.

Then the fact that plate was near invulnerable to arrows (no, longbows didn't magically go through it like popular myth). To pierce plate (and remember, they wore padding underneath plate) you had to be extremely close, to the point that if a knight is that close to you and you're an archer, you probably wanted to be running tihe other way or prepare to fight melee (where the guy in plate would have a much greater advantage).

I'm not arguing the effectiveness of plate and I know that it's far less hindering that many myths claim. However, in terms of lore it's pretty clearly stated that Witchers wear leather/cloth. I'd suspect that the main hindrance for Witchers wouldn't be the weight by itself but the limited agility that comes with heavy armor. Add to that the price tag, the general association of plate armor with nobility (which is as far from a Witcher as you can get, in terms of social lass) as well as the pretty serious problem of trying to put on that armor all by yourself.

And apart from that I feel that while plate isn't as bad as many people claim in terms of weight and the like, a lot of the negatives are not represented in most video games (e.g. price, heat/cold as well as laws prohibiting certain people from wearing weapons/armor and issues trying to armor up without help).

Last edited:
What I want to know is... is there any runes in the game that can make a heavy cool looking armor that I like, light weight?
Since it sounds like heavy armors will now slow Geralt down in combat, man.. that's the kind of realistic stuff I wish CDPR would just leave out of the game.
That shits not fun, it's annoying and makes me never want to use heavy armors at all no matter how the stats or cool they look.
I really don't like slow ass dark souls slug combat, it just sucks!
That's why I liked dragon's dogma, the combat was fast and armor never slowed you down.
It was fun, I really hope TW3's combat feels a lot faster than slug souls. I doubt it will be as fast as dragon's dogma, maybe something between dogma and bloodborn, if bloodborn is indeed faster than dark souls. I'll never know, because I'll never play that clunky unforgiving pile of shit, lol.. but ugh... yeah, I hope Reds have a good fun balance here, that keeps things fun enough that I am still willing to finish the game and its story to the end.
;)

Last edited:
I highly doubt even with heavy armour you'll see Geralt moving as slowly as a heavy armour equipped Chosen Undead does in Dark Souls.

That said, there's nothing wrong with variety for those whom might enjoy the more slower playstyle. You'll probably just have to stick to the lighter sets, and considering you'll be playing on Easy Mode, I'd say you won't have to be nearly as worried about upgrading your armour/weapons.

Of course, there's always the possibility that some kind of abilities/talents in the General or Swordsmanship trees might reduce how much heavy armour effects your movement. Other games have stuff like this through skills, and so I wouldn't completely rule out that possibility here.

Was there a clear answer about whether or not heavy armor actually affects the way you control Geralt, instead of just behind the screen stats? I wasn't expecting that at first but it's really cool to see an actual visual difference.

Though considering speed is very important, the buffs offered by heavy armor need to be pretty damn great to be worth it.

Was there a clear answer about whether or not heavy armor actually affects the way you control Geralt, instead of just behind the screen stats?

In the Brazilian interview with Jose he says that heavy armor will affect Geralt.
Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to use lighter armors other than to look cooler (Witcher 3 the Wild Fashion)

I assume it will make him slower and maybe even make his roll and side-step have a shorter range, ala Dark Souls (they did say they looked into the game).

The main limitation on full-harness is sheer cost. Living rather hand-mouth as they do, witchers simply shouldn't find it easy to obtain properly fitting, high quality metallic armour. Leather and cloth armours can be made using much simpler techniques, and reinforced with small amounts of metallic armour if required...

Maille is time consuming to make, especially in high quality rivetted forms. (Modern 'reproductions' use heavy gauge wire in simple butted construction (which can be "torn" by just pulling on it, like fabric) ~ traditional maille is less than 2/3rd the weight, and much stronger, as it uses a finer gauge wire with flattened and rivetted ends. To break this requires much stronger forces, sufficient to actually break the metal). This makes it expensive to manufacture, but the skill required is lower than that of full harness. Worn with the correct grain, the maille tapers inwards under it's own weight, and with a belt carries a substantial proportion of the weight on the body and at the waist/hips. With a 6mm ring size and normal construction a nail or substantial pin wont penetrate the links of a well built hauberk. It flows and handles like a soft cloth, and thus also needs a leather or padded cloth arming vest or gambeson to reduce blunt trauma.

I do agree that witchers don't wear full harness or a lot of maille, but I would think that economic rather than functional reasons are behind this. (And then of course you feel better about such things if you then make plausible reasons up for why this is "better").

Was there a clear answer about whether or not heavy armor actually affects the way you control Geralt, instead of just behind the screen stats? I wasn't expecting that at first but it's really cool to see an actual visual difference.

Though considering speed is very important, the buffs offered by heavy armor need to be pretty damn great to be worth it.

Yes it affects how Geralts move and act during combat.

There are 3 types of armor elements: light, medium and heavy. Protection they grant is less important than synergy with combat tactics they are designed for. For example heavy armor favors agressive swordfighting.

Top Bottom