Are you going to buy them a round of drinks or Kill them?

+

Are you going to buy them a round of drinks or Kill them?

• Buy them a round.

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Kill them.

Votes: 37 36.3%

• Total voters
killing them would be fun... but last time Geralt killed that many people in a town he became known as the butcher of Blavikien... so you can bet that approach will gain the trust of the towns people. its especially not a good idea to slaughter them considering that Geralt is looking to keep favor with the innkeeper, (that is if you decided not to demand a fee for saving Bram from a Griffin earlier) who you can guess wont exactly appreciate Geralt's artistic additions to the inn's murals, no matter how pretty the red might make them look. besides that, it is also exceedingly important that Geralts possibly bloody first impressions not prevent him from finding information about Yennifer. considering the situation sees that begging for a fight could be more than a little stupid though there might still be a way of getting what you need.

Cold be "I'm a Witcher" option added to the poll? I'm feeeling excluded :(
I did not add "I'm a WItcher" because we do not know what it would lead to, but we are almost sure what the outcome of the other two options are.
"I'm a Witcher" could go either way. For example the man might respond by "We do not like freaks of your sort around here", or he could reply by saying "Oh, we could use your help".
I thought we could discuss "I'm a Witcher", and make predictions on how it would turn out.
I did not mean to exclude anyone, and I'm sorry If I did.
I am curious to know what would you do, if it came down to it. Would you kill them, or avoid killing them at all costs ?

MilezZ

CD PROJEKT RED
When I saw that scene, I was reminded of the following one from The Last Wish:

So, while I definitely wouldn't go with "Buy them a drink," I'd probably choose the "I am a witcher" response and see where things go from there. Generally spekaing though, this doesn't really look like a decision that's too important, it's there more for flavour and role-playing reasons.

I actually don't like that there's a "Buy everyone a drink" option, if it ends up working and you avoid trouble with it. Doesn't seem to fit the games to have a "Paragon" option. Would be cool if there's a twist to it, and you end up screwing yourself over regardless.

Ah, decisions, decisions. That's what we've been trying to emphasize. This decision might very well be the most important one you do in the game - or it might not. We do not tell you. Point being - such assumptions can lead to interesting surprises in our game :)

Point being - such assumptions can lead to interesting surprises in our game :)

Point being - you guys love making us suffer the agony of decision-making. And now you've added timers so that we can't spend an hour checking wikis, asking our friends, going to see a fortune-teller and all of the other things we've traditionally done to help make that decision.

I love this.

Ah, decisions, decisions. That's what we've been trying to emphasize. This decision might very well be the most important one you do in the game - or it might not. We do not tell you. Point being - such assumptions can lead to interesting surprises in our game :)

Good to hear and I expect no less - it's The Witcher, after all.

You never know what will hit you.

Aha! If you reply to a @ReptilePZ's post it is because he is wrong with his choice. Therefore the correct answer is the opposite to that of Reptile's one. Sure you might suspect we're finding your intention and then, only then, you're saying the opposite to throw us off. But if we suspect that you're suspecting that we discovered your intention is bewilder us, then....

AHHHHHH! This torture drive me crazyYes, more than I used to be!

Aha! If you reply to a ReptilePZ's post it is because he is wrong with his choice. Therefore the correct answer is the opposite to that of Reptile's one. Sure you might suspect we're finding your intention and then, only then, you're saying the opposite to throw us off. But if we suspect that you're suspecting that we discovered your intention is bewilder us, then....

AHHHHHH! This torture drive me crazyYes, more than I used to be!

Last edited:
Heh, I'll probably buy a round of drinks.

First, it should mean I don't have to kill them and secondly they might get drunk and offer up juicy info which leads to a quest or trinket. You never know.

EDIT: Thirdly, it'll mean that, if I'm having a drink that night, I'll help myself to a shot of something too. It's all about the roleplay ;)

Ah, decisions, decisions. That's what we've been trying to emphasize. This decision might very well be the most important one you do in the game - or it might not. We do not tell you. Point being - such assumptions can lead to interesting surprises in our game

and that was just 5 minutes into the game.... man.. may can't come soon enough!

Frankly I am a slow reader, and in past TW games when a timer came up I've never really had enough time to read/think about the options fully. Sometimes just even getting past the read part the timer is almost up and I have no time to think. I hope you put an option in settings to increase/disable the time, or at least this time made the time a bit longer so those of us who aren't paying attention (like watching the scenery) can realize we must read/make choice before the time is up ;) I'd hate to have to get into the habit of saving before every conversation just in case...

About the timer.

I love the 11243234 shades of grey too, just as anyone in here and the fact that the world is not black and white. And I NEVER use wiki or whatever to figure out my choice, then I might as well not play the game and just watch a let's play. I pick my choice of an answer after carefully consideration every time I am in a situation like this and then I accept the consequences immediately or later on however it unfolds. I do however want whatever time that I need/want to figure out what choice I want to make and not being forced into just picking one because a ridiculous timer is running out. It's BAD BAD BAD game design to me and it will only force players like me to reload over and over till I have analyzed what answer I want to give.

Some players like it and properly believe it to be more realistic and I am fine but let us who don't have the option on turning it off in the options instead of getting annoyed over having to reload over and over.

Do you find that "wait a moment while I consider how to respond to you" generally works well for you in an imminent mugging/barfight scenario?

I admittedly have little direct experience, being around 110lbs dripping wet... I've always kept a low profile and avoided trouble wherever possible... but thinking fast and planning ahead is sometimes important. Seems appropriate to the situation (if not rather *too* long).

I think that's awesome. I really want to be evil on my first playthrough and kill anyone who gets in my way. Then play as good. As good as I can be.

@Lieste Well I tend not to react fast when playing games and one reason I hate QTE in games. When the QTE is associated with reading it becomes even more problematic for me as I'd guess I read half the speed most people do. Not sure why (lack of focus or contemplating meaning rather than just reading...)... I haven't seen the video in question so can't comment on if the length was too long for me or too quick... IF they did go the ME route of convo choices where what you read is far shorter/simplified than previous witcher games, it probably won't bother me, but in others I've encountered I had a few, okay I've almost done reading the options... opps times up... In following play throughs I knew to look out for them and managed to read fast enough to bet timer but still felt too rushed. I like how in other games QTE can be turned off completely if you prefer. I'm not young enough for most things QTE related, but did manage to get past Tomb Raider Remakes QTEs...

Do you find that "wait a moment while I consider how to respond to you" generally works well for you in an imminent mugging/barfight scenario?

I admittedly have little direct experience, being around 110lbs dripping wet... I've always kept a low profile and avoided trouble wherever possible... but thinking fast and planning ahead is sometimes important. Seems appropriate to the situation (if not rather *too* long).

Can I see the cold logical in that you don't have that much time in a bar fight scenario? Of course I can but that same kind of cold logic could be applied to several hundreds of other situations in the game I bet and by such it falls apart. Not to mention that in this case you have to READ what you want to answer which you really don't in a real bar fight event where you act more or less instinctively when threaten. And yes I admit I have been in a bar fight two times on no fault of my own.

The ONLY thing timing events in conversion add to the game is two things: Those that say I am fine with it as it seems logic and then those who get annoyed by it. And that means some players will be forced to reload over and over. I would go out on a limp here and bet that if there was no timing event here and it was just a matter of picking between the three options absolutely no one would sit and say "You know what is missing here: A timing event on these three options. That would have been FUN".

It's a wrong call to implement these timing events in the game in my book! And if you do at least give us the option to disable them.

Last edited:
Gonna go with "I'm a Witcher". If they attack me, their fault. If not, good for me, considering we (Vesemir and I) want to keep a low profile actually. I let the people decide their fates on their own, I'm not gonna tip them in one direction. If they want to die I won't deny them the wish, but I won't provoke them to it either. I wonder if I could just find a way to fistfight them so it doesn't end in a bloody mess.....

After all I need information in this town, and I need some jobs to keep me afloat.....

How was that? People aren't anymore what they used to be. Witchers are not needed that much. Once came up to a town and found a troll collecting taxes for everyone passing the bridge to the town. Went to the alderman and asked him "How much if I kill the troll" The guy told me not to kill him since he repairs the bridge and it is cheaper to pay him the price than to let a Witcher kill him. A lord forbade the killing of a wyvern because it is the last in the area and it's the favorite of the princess.

Yeah times change, and Witchers work is hard to find. But if there is war monsters breed and people are vulnerable and defenseless. Makes it easier to get jobs, if you don't stir up the locals.

But like I said, I don't want to make friends, so I don't buy them a round. If they want to be nice, let them be nice. If they want to die, let them die. I'm just going to say "I'm a Witcher" and leave it at that.

It's a wrong call to implement these timing events in the game in my book! And if you do at least give us the option to disable them.

Can not agree on that mate.
IMO in such a situation a timing event is fitting. The guys asking him who he is sounds impatient and asked Geralt if he is going to say who he is or if he has to stab him to find out. That implies that he has little patience and will not wait long until starting a fight. I think in most (not all) of the moments in TW series where dialogue was timed it was justified and it always gave you enough time to make the right decision. It is a test, more or less. If you can work with pressure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom