The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Tried to search this enormous thread, but with no luck, so I'll just ask:

My goal is to run TW3 on minimal settings in 720p and 30fps. I have a laptop running
2x GeForce GT 755m in SLI
i5 4200M 2.5GHz
8GB RAM

From what I've checked, CPU should be sufficient for minimum, as when it comes to benchmarks it's significantly faster than suggested Phenom.
I am also nearly sure that single GT 755m would never be able to handle TW3, but there is some hope with SLI setup (well, it's 4GB of VRAM in total and 2x over 1GHz GPUs...)
Is there any confirmed information about SLI support/optimization? Or even mobile GPUs support at all?

Is there any confirmed information about SLI support/optimization? Or even mobile GPUs support at all?
Well the game will have SLI yes, no clue about how well that'll work but as is always the case with Games and Mobility cards, it comes with the warning:
Laptop versions of these cards may work, but are not supported.

Usually that works though so I'll just go on the assumption that it will work so moving on... SLI does not stack VRAM so it's still 2GB since data is mirrored between both GPUs. Looking at 'benchmarks' I think it should run at medium settings, maybe even 60fps(I'd expect more towards 30-45 tho just to keep expectations in check) on 720p, maybe even 1366x768 if that's your native.

Well the game will have SLI yes, no clue about how well that'll work but as is always the case with Games and Mobility cards, it comes with the warning:

Usually that works though so I'll just go on the assumption that it will work so moving on... SLI does not stack VRAM so it's still 2GB since data is mirrored between both GPUs. Looking at 'benchmarks' I think it should run at medium settings, maybe even 60fps(I'd expect more towards 30-45 tho just to keep expectations in check) on 720p, maybe even 1366x768 if that's your native.

what do u think about those ? 60fps on mid ?
FX 6300 5.0ghz
Noctua NH-U14S
MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr
MSI 970 Gaming AM3+ Mobo
SSD Crucial 256gb
2TB SATA
8GB Kingston Fury

Thanks a lot, that's quite reassuring. About VRAM of course you're right, that assumption was stupid of me, as both cards obviously render the same content. Extra VRAM could be of use when using one of the GPUs exclusively for PhysX, I guess, but I don't even know how memory-heavy PhysX is.
Anyway, thanks a lot again ;)

Thing is, I got my 270 just over a year so I'm trying not to get a new card if I don't have to. So I asked.
Well you can either get a new GPU or simply wait for performance results after release. If you're thinking of maxing out on the 270, I don't think that will be a very great experience, might have to compromise on things to have decent framerates.

Basing that on comparison with the 970
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1080?vs=1355

If there's someone else out there with Asus P8P67 LE and trying to OC with it; Try to set your vcore to stay around 1.2v. Otherwise It'll start throttling. Nothing to do with psu, cooler or any oc settings in bios. This board has some cheap ass components. A bit off topic but I just had to post this..

Any news about required minimum RAM and Dual-core to play ?

The posted system requirements state 6GB's of RAM as minimum so i would go with that.

As for dual core being able to run it, i really don't know but if you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVl8Eupbr_E (about 2 minutes in)
i think we can all be optimistic about it :).

There is an fps difference but its not huge i think.

Last edited:
I tell this because often in games minimum settings set as recommended for a comfort play. But i was very surprised when i could play Shadows of Mordor, Far Cry 4, Alien and even was able to launch Watch Dogs and DAI(later erased them because of bad that time optimization and Denuvo). So thats why i asking-can i still play Witcher 3 with E8400, 4Gb RAM, 1280x1024 with minimum graphic settings?

Any news about required minimum RAM and Dual-core to play ?

Stated minimums are 6GB and quad core (Sandy Bridge or Phenom II). I don't know how far below the stated minimums you will be able to go successfully. I still believe it's likely that the game will be playable with as little as 4GB (but 64-bit OS) and a fast dual core or an older quad core. I promise I will be finding out and reporting on this as soon as I get my hands on the game. (And my test setups do include an E8400 with 4GB.)

Last edited:
Looking at the GTA V numbers posted earlier on, and assuming The Witcher 3 is similarly graphically-intensive, if a GTX 750 Ti can achieve 25+ FPS on ultra, it may breach the 45 FPS mark on medium-high settings (I'm assuming ultra is 4K). No problems for me - I'm a 45 fps guy, and the GTX 860M is basically that card with a lower TDP for mobile.

By the way, I've tried to push the overclock settings on my GTX 860M to the limits, and I was pleasantly surprised. 3DMark Fire Strike benchmark scores at link here, temperatures and GPU ratings below.

Highest GPU temps were 62 degrees C - now, who says you can't overclock a laptop and still get low temperatures, eh?:victory:

Highest CPU temperatures were 77 degrees C, although granted, FIre Strike is not CPU-intensive. Perhaps I should've run X-Plane 10.

These scores certainly exceed a stock GTX 870M, and approach GTX 880M levels of performance. I'm a happy laptop camper, guys.

Attachments

• GTX860M OC.gif
    GTX860M OC.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 4710MQ OC.png
    4710MQ OC.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 48
So excited since I am starting building my rig next week. Going for the MSI Gaming 970 SLI for 1440p. Really hope it will be enough for ultra with no AA on 50+ fps average. Only building this rig for TW3 so would be rational to wait until benchmarks but I really want to play it around release + complete TW2 again before that (have no gaming PC atm).

Hi people. Does this game require one of the latest video cards? Like Dx12 only?
I have a 2GB Ati 6950, and from what I've seen on CDP site it is on the "unsupported", along with the whole HD 6xxx series, as well as HD 7xxx up to 7870.
Does anybody know sth about this??

if a GTX 750 Ti can achieve 25+ FPS on ultra, it may breach the 45 FPS mark on medium-high settings (I'm assuming ultra is 4K).

Well usually ultra refers to the quality of the settings not the resolution.

Watching benchmarks for GTA V i can see that on very high settings at 1920x1200 which is similar to 1080p, the 750Ti can get an average of 34 fps. 34fps is great but that means that minimum could be below 20fps which would make it hard to play. A change of a few settings like removing SMAA which they have enabled there, will probably make the game perfectly playable.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gta_v_pc_graphics_performance_review,5.html

My guess is though, that the witcher 3 will be quite more demanding so we'll have to wait and see.

Hi people. Does this game require one of the latest video cards? Like Dx12 only?
I have a 2GB Ati 6950, and from what I've seen on CDP site it is on the "unsupported", along with the whole HD 6xxx series, as well as HD 7xxx up to 7870.
Does anybody know sth about this??
The game doesn't even support DirectX 12, so no, you don't need the latest video card. But whether your card is still good enough, I have no idea. I imagine that you can try to fiddle with the game settings and maybe overclock your card a bit and see what happens, but CDPR doesn't guarantee for the game to run with your system, so keep that in mind before making a preorder. You might want to look if EBay's got any decently priced used video cards that match the minimum requirements, if you want to be sure.

I, myself, have all the other hardware well into the recommended territory, but my processor just barely passes the minimum requirements. I imagine I should look into some overclocking myself, if I want to play anywhere close to the High resolution.

Well this thing just got me puzzled. It does say on the official site that cards under R7870 are not supported, but that maybe just due to theoretical lack of power - not software conditions that would absolutely prevent the game from working. I'm pretty sure that my system will run it on some level of specs, I'm not an FPS freak, so as long as it does't run on 20 it's all good...

Top Bottom