Combat in The Witcher 3

+
We can ;) We can turn things off to the point of clean screen, and we can even tweek the size of hud elements. CONFIRMED.

Woah, let's not be hasty. Marcin was never THAT specific, he never specified what parts of the HUD could be turned off just that we could re-size it and possibly turn certain elements off and/or the whole HUD entirely.

It's possible, and I really do hope so (Because I'm not a fan of the floating damage numbers), but nothing is confirmed beyond what was said, and what was said was fairly general.

Woah, let's not be hasty. Marcin was never THAT specific, he never specified what parts of the HUD could be turned off just that we could re-size it and possibly turn certain elements off and/or the whole HUD entirely.

It's possible, and I really do hope so (Because I'm not a fan of the floating damage numbers), but nothing is confirmed beyond what was said, and what was said was fairly general.

Whoa.. lol.. it's all right, but yeah the floating xp numbers, needs an on/off option.
This aint diablo, but some Japan and pc players might like that stuff, who knows :)

I was thinking that dodge and rolls should consume vigor, and that its regeneration should be very slow. In this way potions would have a huge influence on combat system.

Long games like this need to let you re-spec your skills anytime. Not everyone will get to play this game multiple times to experience all the skills. I also think it will help mix up the game play and give you more tactical options for each play through.

It is always better to give players Options, not Choices.

The skill tree is not story based anyway, so why limit the fun of player customizations with limitations? If a player wants to change their mind after 10, 20, 30hrs, let them.

It is always better to give players Options, not Choices.

Combat System - Questions

After watching the monster hunting video from ign, two question occured, maybe anybody can enlighten me (posted this also in the news thread, but the spoiler discussion there is kinda boiling, so I thought I post it here ...)

1.) Is it possible to riposte/counter/block monster too ? Would be awesome !! Just when the monsters in the video attacked they got this red stripe unter their life-stripe, which I think is an indicator for the intervall to counter etc. ...

2.) Any information if there is a difference between blocking and riposte/counter attack in W3 ? Would be great if there is a perk that Geralt does not only Block, but also counters with some unique sword-move.

Would be cool if some of CDPR could say something regarding this ...

1.) Is it possible to riposte/counter/block monster too ? Would be awesome !! Just when the monsters in the video attacked they got this red stripe unter their life-stripe, which I think is an indicator for the intervall to counter etc. ...

Like Arkham?
It would be awful.

1. I've seen that indicator too, I dont recall any footage of riposte being used against the monsters though.

2. Riposte is done with a well timed block, you can see it being done to human enemies in some of the fotage out there, like that 15minute preview from IGN.

We must have a different understanding of the term. The way I understand it free flow combat means that you're skipping around on auto lock from enemy to enemy, sometimes covering 8 meters with a click if you need to. I'm not sure what does it have to do with blocking and countering monsters. TW3 seems to take a bit of inspiration after Akrham, but I'd place it more between it and Souls than just straight out Batman game.

1. I've seen that indicator too, I dont recall any footage of riposte being used against the monsters though.

2. Riposte is done with a well timed block, you can see it being done to human enemies in some of the fotage out there, like that 15minute preview from IGN.

First of all thx for the answer. (to everyone else too of course)

On 1.) I agree with you, that's the main reason why I'm curious ... maybe the player just didn't do it or it's not possible.

On 2.) You're of course right, Geralt is doing kind of riposte, which results in the enemy being for example kicked back (15 min video), but then (or so it seams at least to me) he just attacks with his normal attack swings. Now I'm woundering if maybe (with higher skill level e.g.) Geralt gets kind of counter-attack which is unique. Best description coming to my mind is Demon/Dark Souls where when you do your riposte and attack immediatly afterwards it results in kind of a special move.(hopefully you understand what I mean)

There was riposte in the second game, so I'm guessing it will be there in this one as well. But riposte is a move that you do against a weapon; it might be a little bit illogical to do it against a monster. I think sidestep/pirouette and then attack would make much more sense.

First of all thx for the answer. (to everyone else too of course)

On 1.) I agree with you, that's the main reason why I'm curious ... maybe the player just didn't do it or it's not possible.

On 2.) You're of course right, Geralt is doing kind of riposte, which results in the enemy being for example kicked back (15 min video), but then (or so it seams at least to me) he just attacks with his normal attack swings. Now I'm woundering if maybe (with higher skill level e.g.) Geralt gets kind of counter-attack which is unique. Best description coming to my mind is Demon/Dark Souls where when you do your riposte and attack immediatly afterwards it results in kind of a special move.(hopefully you understand what I mean)

I know what you mean, those counter attacks in the souls games are always so satisfying to hit.

Top Bottom